North Carolina

 State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Division of Motor Vehicles Benefits
Health Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities

Summary: The State of North Carolina offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including property tax exemptions, state employment preferences, education and tuition assistance, vehicle tags, as well as hunting and fishing license privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: None

Retired Military Pay: If an individual had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989, all military retired pay is exempt from taxes. Effective  for  taxable  years  beginning  on  or  after  January  1,  2014,  there are no deductions available for distributions from private retirement plans or government retirement plans that do not qualify as tax-exempt Bailey benefits.

As a result of the North Carolina Supreme Court's decision in Bailey v. State of North Carolina and the settlement subsequently reached in that case, North Carolina may not tax retirement benefits received by a retiree (or by a beneficiary of a retiree) from qualifying State, local, or federal retirement systems if the retiree was vested in the retirement system as of August 12, 1989. For most government retirement systems, a person is vested if the person had five or more years of creditable service in a qualifying State, local or federal retirement system as of August 12, 1989. Individual Income Tax, Pass-Through Entities, and Withholding Bulletin FEB 2017

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: Not subject to federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Military SBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: If an individual had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989, all military retired pay is exempt from taxes. Otherwise, a deduction of up to $4,000 is allowed for survivor's benefits. Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Learn more

National Guard Retired Pay: North Carolina Air Guard retirees pay no state income taxes on their military retirement pay.

Learn more

Tax Relief

Cancellation of Certain Assessments and Abatement of Income Tax : Any assessment of income tax due prior to the time a person was inducted into the Armed Forces will be canceled and abated if the Service member was killed while a member of the Armed Forces or is receiving service-connected disability compensation. No interest is payable on refunds made under this section of the law.

Allowances for Service Members : Subsistence and quarters allowances, uniform and equipment allowances, and mustering-out payments are not taxable to the Service member as income. Mileage and per diem allowances for official travel and transportation are excludable from the Service member's income except to the extent that they exceed the travel and transportation expenses.

Deductions for Service Members : Income tax deduction may be claimed for insignia, swords, aiguillettes, epaulets, campaign bars, cap devices, chinstraps, and the cost of altering uniforms necessitated by change in rank.

Disability Payments : All disability payments to Veterans by reason of service in the Armed Forces are not reportable as income for income taxation purposes.

Education and Training Allowances : U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs payments made to Veterans enrolled in schools and training establishments under the GI Bill are exempt from income taxation.

Grants for Motor Vehicles : Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs are exempt from income taxation.

Grants for Specially Adapted Housing : Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs to seriously disabled Veterans for homes designed for wheelchair livings are exempt from income taxation.

Gratuity Pay, Six-Months : The six-month gratuity pay to a beneficiary of a deceased Service member is exempt from income taxation.

Insurance Dividends, Government Insurance : Dividends and all other proceeds except interest on dividends from G. I. insurance policies are exempt from income taxation.

Real Property Tax : This program excludes up to the first $45,000 of the appraised value of the permanent residence of an honorably discharged Veteran who has a total and permanent disability that is service-connected or who receives benefits for specially adapted housing under 38 U.S.C. 2101. There is no age or income limitation for this program. This benefit is also available to the unmarried surviving Spouse of an honorably discharged disabled Veteran. See G.S. 105-277.1C for the full text of the statute. Contact your local County Tax Office for applications.

Certain Vehicles : A motor vehicle owned by a disabled Veteran that is altered with special equipment to accommodate a service-connected disability. As used in this section, disabled Veteran means a person as defined in 38 U.S.C. § 101(2) who is entitled to special automotive equipment for a service-connected disability.

Learn more

Military Spouses Residency Relief Act: The Act prohibits North Carolina from taxing the income earned for services performed in North Carolina by a Spouse of a Service member stationed in North Carolina if:

  • The Service member is present in North Carolina solely in compliance with military orders;

  • The Spouse is in North Carolina solely to be with the Service member; and

  • The Spouse is domiciled in the same state as the Service member.

All three conditions must be met to qualify for exemption.

Learn more

Back to top

Education Benefits:

In-State Tuition for Non-Resident Service Members: Active-duty members of the armed services are charged in-state tuition while abiding in North Carolina because of their active military duty in the state. This applies to reservists too. "Abiding" means living here, even without intent to make it one's permanent home. If subsequently reassigned outside North Carolina, the members continue to qualify for in-state tuition as long as they remain continuously enrolled in the program they were in prior to reassignment. A dependent relative who shares the abode of a member of the armed services who is in North Carolina on active duty also qualifies for in-state tuition.

Learn more

North Carolina Scholarship for Children of War Time Veterans : Since July 2002, the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs has awarded over 5,000 scholarships to the Children of North Carolina Veterans. North Carolina's Scholarship Program was created to show its appreciation for the services and sacrifices of its war Veterans.

The scholarship program is only valid at North Carolina schools. Scholarship recipients attending North Carolina approved private schools shall be granted a monetary allowance. The scholarship is for 8 academic semesters; in which the applicant will have six years to utilize the eight academic semesters.

The Scholarship program has been established for the qualifying natural or adopted (before age 15) Children of certain class categories of deceased, disabled, combat or POW/MIA Veterans. Applicant must be under age 25 at the time of application. The Veteran's qualifying criteria must have occurred during a period of war. At time of application, applicant must be domiciled and a resident of North Carolina. In addition:

  • Veteran parent was a legal resident of North Carolina at time of said Veteran's entrance into that period of service in the Armed Forces during which eligibility is established; or

  • The applicant, of an eligible Veteran, is the natural Child or adopted Child prior to age 15, who was born in North Carolina and has been a resident of North Carolina continuously since birth.

Learn more

North Carolina Vietnam Veterans, Inc. Scholarship Program (NCVVI): The NCVVI scholarship program was formed to grant scholarships for study at accredited institutions of learning in appreciation for the service and sacrifices of Vietnam Veterans to their country. The amount of a scholarship will range from $500 to $1,500.00 and can be used to pay expenses for any year of undergraduate study at any college, junior college, community college, or trade school.

Eligibility: Applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements: Be a current resident of Wake, Durham, Harnett, Johnston, Franklin, Nash, Chatham, or Granville counties in North Carolina; Have been awarded the Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) for service in the Vietnam War; or Be a Spouse, Child, foster Child, adopted Child, grand-Child, etc. of a Vietnam Veteran (a recipient of the VSM)

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.

  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
E. Alex Erwin, III, Attorney, Onslow County Schools
Address: P.O. Box 7010, Jacksonville, NC 28540
Phone: 910-346-3365

Doug Taggart, Program Coordinator, North Carolina Troop to Teachers, North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
Address: 6330 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-6330
Phone: 919-807-3346

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits:

Leave for Military Duty: Up to 120 hours for military leave per Federal fiscal year.
National Guard and Army Reserve members

Learn more

Differential Pay for Military Duty: The State of North Carolina may pay differential pay to State employees, which is the difference in military basic pay (excluding housing, subsistence allowances, etc.) and State salary (excluding any special pay such as shift premium, etc.) when military pay is less.

Upon receipt of military Leave and Earnings Statement or similar document, the employee’s payroll office will calculate any amount due. If the documentation is not provided until the employee returns to work, the differential pay due will be determined at that time.

Learn more

Additional State Pension for the members of the North Carolina National Guard: Every member and former member of the North Carolina National Guard who meets the requirements and receives, commencing at age 60, a pension from the state of North Carolina of one hundred five dollars ($105.00) per month for 20 years' creditable military service with an additional ten dollars and fifty cents ($10.50) per month for each additional year of such service; provided, however, that the total pension shall not exceed two hundred ten dollars ($210.00) per month. The requirements for a pension are that each member shall:

  • Have served and qualified for at least 20 years' creditable military service, including National Guard, reserve and active duty, under the same requirement specified for entitlement to retired pay for non-regular service under Chapter 67, Title 10, United States Code.

  • Have at least 15 years of the aforementioned service as a member of the North Carolina National Guard.

  • Have received an honorable discharge from the North Carolina National Guard.

Learn more

Employment Preference (State): State law requires that employment preference be given for having served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty (for reasons other than training) during periods of war or any other campaign, expedition, or engagement for which a campaign badge or medal is authorized by the United States Department of Defense.

The preference to be accorded eligible Veterans shall apply in initial employment, subsequent employment, promotions, reassignments, horizontal transfers and reduction-in-force situations.
State Government employment preference is granted to Veterans that were discharged under other than dishonorable condition, their surviving Spouses, or the Spouses of disabled Veterans.

"Eligible Veteran" means:

  • A Veteran who served during a period of war; or

  • The Spouse of a disabled Veteran; or the surviving Spouse or dependent of a Veteran who died on active duty during a period of war either directly or indirectly as a result of such service; or

  • A Veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or

  • The Spouse of a Veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or

  • The surviving Spouse or dependent of a person who died for service-related reasons during peacetime.

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference : Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn more

Employment Assistance: The N.C. Division of Workforce Solutions provides job seeker services for Veterans, transitioning Service members, and eligible Spouses.

Veterans can visit their NCWorks Career Center and take advantage of the following no-cost services:

  • Career assessments

  • Labor market information

  • Access to training opportunities, job fairs, and workshops

  • Job interview preparation

  • Resume and cover letter assistance

  • Assistance with NCWorks Online

  • Access to computers and free Internet service

  • Help applying for federal employment and training programs in which Veterans receive priority of service

Some Veterans face significant barriers that make it difficult for them to find suitable employment, especially Veterans who are transitioning into civilian life. Most offices have specialized staff-all of who are Veterans-who work closely with employers to create more opportunities for Veterans and provide the following services to Veterans themselves:

  • Help developing an employability plan and goals

  • Coaching in individual and group settings

  • Referrals to supportive services, including vocational rehabilitation, transportation, elder care, food and nutrition services, and non-profit organizations that address homelessness

Learn more

NCWorks Online: The state's official job-search website, NCWorks Online gives Veterans access to job postings for 24 hours before they are made available to the general public. The system provides information on training opportunities, local services, and other resources available to Veterans. Employers can also search exclusively for candidates who are Veterans.

Learn more

NCWorks Apprenticeship: Veterans participating in NCWorks Apprenticeships can continue to draw benefits from the GI Bill, even though they are employed as part of an apprenticeship. Apprentices train for an industry by receiving a combination of classroom instruction and on-the-job training. Participants are paid for their work, and their wages will increase as they progress in the program.

Learn more

North Carolina Governor's Working Group on Veterans, Service Members and Their Families: An intragovernmental Working Group focused on job creation, workforce enrichment, health and wellness, legal and financial services and benefits for Veterans. The Working Group is charged with facilitating collaboration and coordination among ALL Federal, state and local agency partners that touch a Veteran's life in the state of North Carolina. In short, the "Working Group" is making government work for our Vets.

Learn More

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act: Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protect civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of Reserve components. USERRA also makes major improvements in protecting Service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.

Absence from Work for Military Duty: USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met.

Disability Accommodation: USERRA provides protection for disabled Veterans, requiring employers to make reasonable efforts to accommodate the disability. Service members convalescing from injuries received during service or training may have up to two years from the date of completion of service to return to their jobs or apply for reemployment.

Return to Work without Loss of Seniority: USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning Service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. The law clearly provides for alternative reemployment positions if the Service member cannot qualify for the "escalator" position. USERRA also provides that while an individual is performing military service, he or she is deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and is entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded other individuals on non-military leaves of absence.

Extension of Health and Pension Plans: Health and pension plan coverage for Service members is provided for by USERRA. Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102 percent of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the Service member had remained employed. USERRA clarifies pension plan coverage by making explicit that all pension plans are protected.
Veterans, Reservists, or National Guard members who leave a position for training or active military service.

The Department of Labor, through the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) provides assistance to all persons having claims under USERRA, including Federal and Postal Service employees. VETS regional and state offices can be found here .

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Compensation: North Carolina's Department of Commerce Division of Employment Security administers the Unemployment Insurance, providing temporary assistance to unemployed North Carolina workers.

The unemployment insurance program in North Carolina is part of a national system designed to provide temporary economic benefits to eligible workers. Eligible workers are individuals who (1) lost their jobs through no fault of their own, (2) worked during a specified time period and received a minimum amount of wages during that time period, (3) are able and available for work, and (4) are actively seeking new employment. All benefits and administrative costs of the unemployment insurance program are paid by employers through State Unemployment Tax Act (SUTA) and the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) payments. No money is withheld from workers' checks to pay for unemployment benefits.
Potentially eligible claimants must have become unemployed through no fault of their own. All claimants, except those who are still attached to an employer's payroll, must (a) register for work with the Division of Employment Security; (b) file a claim for each calendar week of benefits they request, and (c) actively seek work during any week for which unemployment benefits are claimed. Actively seeking work means doing those things that an unemployed person who wants to work would normally do. Unless otherwise instructed, a claimant must seek work in person on two different days with at least two different employers and must keep a written record of all work search contacts for periodic review by Commission staff. For any new claim filed after January 3, 2016, claimants will be required to contact 5 potential employers during the week, but it doesn't have to be on separate days.

Claims may be filed online here . For any questions about filing a claim for unemployment benefits or to inquire about an existing claim application, please contact the customer call center at 888-737-0259. North Carolina Division of Employment Security (DES) Unemployment Insurance Overview

Learn more

Back to top

Division of Motor Vehicles Benefits:

North Carolina Special Military License Plates : ( NC G.S. 20 79.4 ) The NCDMV makes available 29 specialized military license plates to Army Veterans, Family members and current Service members who want to display their military service.

To obtain a specialty license plate, proof of military service (DD Form 214) and form MVR-33A must be brought to a state Veteran service office. You can obtain an MVR-33A and have it signed at your local DMV, any County or State Veterans Service Office or it can be downloaded here .

Learn more

Medal of Honor Recipient Plate: Issuable to a recipient of the Medal of Honor. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Medal of Honor and the words "Medal of Honor". There is no plate fee, but there is a $30 fee if personalized. To be eligible the applicant must provide documentation that the medal was awarded. This plate is not available for online purchase. Utilizes Form MVR33A

Learn more

Disabled Veteran Plate: Issuable to a Veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a 100% service-connected disability. There is no plate fee, but there is a $30 fee if personalized. This plate is not available for online purchase. Utilizes Form MVR33A

Learn more

Partially Disabled Veteran Plate: Issuable to a Veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a service connected disability of less than 100%. There is no plate fee, but there is a $30 fee if personalized. To be eligible the applicant must provide documentation that they have been awarded a service connected disability rating less than 100% from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This plate is not available for online purchase. Utilizes Form MVR33A

Learn more

Purple Heart Plate (Auto or Motorcycle): Issuable to a recipient of the Purple Heart medal. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Purple Heart and the words "Purple Heart Veteran, Combat Wounded". There is no plate fee, but there is a $30 fee if personalized. To be eligible the applicant must provide documentation that the medal was awarded. This plate is not available for online purchase. Ensure to indicate in the appropriate box on the application whether this is for an auto or for a motorcycle. Utilizes Form MVR33A

Learn more

'VETERAN' Driver License Designation: North Carolina military Veterans can apply to carry the designation "VETERAN" on their driver licenses and identification cards.

Military Veterans requested the designation to assist them in obtaining military discounts from a wide variety of retailers and service providers without having to show their military discharge form.

Putting the designation on the driver license or ID card will enable the state's Veterans to show their photo ID and their Veteran status at the same time.

Veterans interested in applying for the designation should take their DD-214 discharge form to their local driver license office to show they been honorably discharged. They can request the designation be added to their license at their next renewal at no additional charge.

NCDMV accepts the following documents as proof of a Veteran's Honorable Discharge status:

  • DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge

  • DD-215 - Certificate of Release or Discharge

  • WD AGO 53/55 - Report of Separation

  • NAVMC 78-PD - Notice of Separation

  • NAVPERS - Separation of Service

If a Veteran would like to add the designation at any other time, they may present the discharge form and request a duplicate license for the usual fee at any driver license office.

Learn more

Driver's License: DMV offers special renewal services to members of the Armed Forces or a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States. If you are a member of the Armed Forces or a reserve component of the Armed Forces, you may renew your driver license early before being deployed. To receive this service, you must provide orders that place you on active duty outside this state.

DMV also offers special return services to members of a reserve component of the Armed Forces whose license expired during active duty outside this state. A Reservist's driver license will be considered valid until 60 days after the date of release from active duty. To receive this service, military orders must be provided that place the Reservist on active duty outside this state.

Military Personnel Driver license renewal information:

  • Customer may renew back to back no more than two times in a lifetime. (This includes military Spouse and Dependents.) If renewal is completed online, the Division adds a military designation to the license.

  • If last photo on file with DMV was issued for five years, customer can extend license to eight years. Customer can renew with an image older than five years. Military customer may renew back to back, extending the age of the image past eight years.

  • Driver license renewals may be made for more than one year prior to expiration date accompanied by military papers showing active duty status.

Military Personnel Out-of-State Driver License Renewal: To get a renewal license for Military Stationed outside the U.S., a customer must:

  • Not be older than 69 at the date of request to renew by mail; may renew their license at any time.
  • Provide military orders and a copy of their military identification card, both front and back.

Renewal by mail: Military personnel their Spouse and dependent Children who are temporarily residing out of state may renew their licenses by mail if:

  • North Carolina Driver License has not expired more than one year;

  • DMV has last image on file;

  • DMV has a record of your Social Security number or a United States government issued document indicating legal presence, and

  • A permanent North Carolina verifiable residence address.

Mail Application

Learn more

Handicapped Parking Privileges: Disabled Veterans issued a registration plate are entitled to park in spaces designated for the handicapped and unlimited parking time in most parking zones having time restrictions.

Learn more

Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits :

Medical Benefits: Medical expenses are paid while on State duty, field training or in drill status. When a North Carolina National Guard member is actively serving, their Spouses and dependent Children may voluntarily participate in the benefits of the Teachers and State Employees Comprehensive Major Medical Plans.
Members of the National Guard, and certain of their dependents, who are not eligible for any other type of comprehensive group health insurance or other comprehensive group health benefits, and who have been without any form of group health insurance or other comprehensive group health benefit coverage for at least six consecutive months, have the opportunity to participate in the benefits provided by the State Health Plan for Teachers and State Employees. Coverage shall be voluntary for members of the National Guard who elect participation in the plan for themselves and their eligible dependents.

Learn More

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Worker’s Compensation for Injury/Death on State Active Duty: Provided for while on State Active Duty.
North Carolina National Guard Service member. ( § 97-2 )

Learn more

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance ( SGLI )

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance ( VGLI )

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance ( FSGLI )

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection ( TSGLI )

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance ( S-DVI )

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance ( VMLI )

Learn more

Back to top

Parks & Recreation Benefits :

Lifetime Disabled Veteran Inland Fishing (Basic): Statewide inland fishing for residents who are 50 % or more disabled Veterans for a $10 fee. Includes fishing in Public Mountain Trout Waters, fishing in trout waters on game lands, and fishing in joint waters. It does not include fishing in coastal waters.

Lifetime Disabled Veteran Coastal Recreational Fishing: Authorizes fishing in coastal and joint waters for residents who are 50% or more disabled Veterans for a $10 fee. It does not authorize fishing in inland waters.

Lifetime Disabled Veteran Hunting and Inland Fishing Combo (Basic): Statewide basic hunting and inland fishing for 50% or more disabled Veterans for a $10 fee. It includes fishing in Public Mountain Trout Waters, fishing in trout waters on game lands, and fishing in joint waters. It does not include fishing in coastal waters.

Lifetime Disabled Veteran Sportsman License: Statewide hunting and inland fishing for 50% or more disabled of Veterans for a $100 fee. Includes hunting for big game, hunting on game lands, hunting for waterfowl (does not include the bear management e-stamp or federal duck stamp), fishing in Public Mountain Trout Waters, fishing in trout waters on game lands, and fishing in joint waters. It does not include fishing in coastal waters.

Lifetime Disabled Veteran Sportsman/Coastal Recreational Fishing: Statewide hunting, inland and coastal recreational fishing for residents who are 50 percent or more disabled Veterans for $110 fee. Includes hunting for big game, hunting on game lands, hunting for waterfowl (does not include the bear management e-stamp or federal duck stamp), fishing in Public Mountain Trout Waters, fishing in trout waters on game lands, and fishing in joint waters. Application

Learn more

Hunting and Fishing Privileges: Members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in North Carolina, their Spouses and their dependents under age 18 residing with them, are deemed residents of North Carolina for the purpose of purchasing licenses issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission .

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty outside the State of North Carolina shall be deemed an individual resident of the State for the purpose of purchasing short-term and annual hunting, fishing and trapping licenses.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits :

Guardians: State law provides for the appointment and supervision of guardians for incompetent Veterans, incompetent dependents of Veterans, and minor dependents of members of the armed forces or Veterans in certain circumstances, to manage U.S. funds payable to such persons.

Learn more

Discharge Records: The Register of Deeds of any North Carolina county is required to record, free of charge, all official discharges from the armed forces offered for registration. Free certified copies of discharges so recorded may be obtained by members or former members of the armed forces and by representatives of the N. C. Division of Veterans Affairs (NCDVA) upon application.

Certified Copy of Public Record: A certified copy of any public record required by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) or the NCDVA for use in determining the eligibility of any person to participate in benefits made available by the USDVA shall be provided without charge by the official responsible for the custody of the public record. The document shall be issued to the applicant for such benefits or any person acting on his or her behalf or the representative of the USDVA or the NCDVA.

Learn more

Retirement Credit, Military Service, State and Participating Local Government Employees: Under certain conditions and subject to the confines of State law, credit for both State and local government retirement plans can be granted for military service performed by an eligible employee. Further inquiry should be made to Employee's Retirement and Health Benefits Division, NC Department of State Treasurer .

Learn more

Absentee Registration and Voting: Persons who are in the Armed Forces, their Spouses, Veterans in government hospitals, etc., who are otherwise qualified to vote may register and vote by mail in primaries and general elections, subject to the procedural details set forth in the law.

Learn more

North Carolina National Guard Soldiers and Airmen Assistance Fund: This fund provides emergency aid to Guard Families in financial crisis. The Soldiers and Airmen Assistance Fund (SAAF) is a non-profit organization founded in 2004 with the purpose of supporting the needs of those serving the great State of North Carolina during peace and wartime. It provides grants for basic needs, emergencies and other services. Since 2004, the SAAF has provided $1.7 million in financial assistance to Army and Air Guard Families.

Learn more

North Carolina State Veterans Nursing Homes: The State of North Carolina is proud to offer four full-service, skilled nursing facilities for Veterans. They are located adjacent to the VA Medical Center at a 150 bed facility in Fayetteville , on the W.G. Hefner Medical Center campus in a 99 bed facility in Salisbury , a 100 bed facility in Kinston , and a 100 bed facility at Black Mountain . Our Primary mission is to provide high quality nursing care to Veterans, which will improve their quality of life. At the North Carolina State Veterans Nursing Homes, we know how to meet the special needs of Veterans. Dedicated to excellence, their highly skilled professional staff provides exceptional care and activities to enrich individuals.

Each facility provides:

  • Comfort and security, encourages independence, meets individual needs, and emphasizes personal choice.

  • Comfortable, spacious accommodations in an attractive environment.

  • Care provided by registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and certified nursing assistants under the direction of licensed physicians.

  • Registered dietician on staff.

  • Experienced social workers assist Veterans and Families.

  • Veterans Service Officer to assist Veterans and Families in applying for VA Benefits.

  • Licensed by the State of North Carolina and Medicare/Medicaid. Accepts commercial insurance and private pay approved.

  • Complete team of therapists provides physical, occupational, and speech therapy within the facility.

  • Specially designed therapeutic recreational programs directed by activity personnel.

  • Full range of in-house activities, community outings, and programs involving local volunteer groups.

  • Special programs throughout the year honoring Veterans.

  • Hospital care provided by either the VA Medical Centers or local hospitals.

Eligibility: All qualified North Carolina Veterans. The rate of payment is based on the actual cost of care and the individual's ability to pay using available resources.

To be eligible, a Veteran must:

  • Have served in the armed forces for other than training purposes.

  • Have been discharged under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces.

  • Have resided in the State of North Carolina 24 months prior to be date of application.

  • Be referred by a licensed physician and be in need of skilled nursing care.

  • Be disabled by reason of age, disease, or other reasons determined through a physical exam. Our facilities must be able to meet the need of the Veteran.

Learn more

North Carolina State Veterans Cemetery Program: A free burial plot is provided at a North Carolina State Veterans Cemetery for eligible North Carolina Veterans and their legal Spouse (and dependents under certain conditions). Veterans must be discharged under honorable conditions and meet certain residency requirements.

General Information:

  • There is no charge for the gravesite or necessary interment services for a qualified Veteran. There is however, a burial fee for an eligible Spouse or Family member.

  • Only government furnished headstones will be authorized for use in the state Veteran's cemeteries. There is no charge for installing the headstones. Government headstones are ordered from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs after consulting with the surviving Family members.

  • Graveside services are not permitted. Committal services will be held in the chapel or at a committal shelter on the cemetery grounds. Family members may return to the gravesite after the burial of the casket or urn is complete and the area is cleared of all equipment and materials.

  • Four state Veterans' cemeteries are in operation. The cemeteries are: Western Carolina State Veterans Cemetery located in Black Mountain (Buncombe County), Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery located in Jacksonville (Onslow County), Sandhills State Veterans Cemetery located in Spring Lake (Cumberland County), and Eastern Carolina Cemetery located in Goldsboro. For details, consult a cemetery superintendent.


  • A Qualified Veteran:

    • Any former member of the U. S. Armed Forces whose service on active duty, other than for training, was terminated under honorable conditions.

    • A Veteran who is entitled to retired pay for non-regular service (i.e. service in the Reserve Components or Army or Air National Guard) or a Veteran who would have been entitled to retired pay for non-regular service, but for the fact that the person was under 60 years of age.

  • North Carolina Resident:

    • Only those Veterans who are legal residents of North Carolina (1) at the time of death (2) for a period of at least 10 years, or (3) at the time the Veteran entered the Armed Forces of the United States--are eligible for interment.

  • Dependent(s):

    • The Spouse, Widow, or Widower of a qualified Veteran or a minor Child who is unmarried and dependent on the qualified Veteran at the time of death. For purposes of definition, a "minor Child" includes a Child under 21 years of age or under 23 years of age if pursuing a course of instruction at an educational institution approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. In addition, an unmarried adult Child of a qualified Veteran who became permanently incapable of self-support because of a physical or mental disability before attaining the age of 18 years is also eligible.

Proof of Eligibility: Documentary evidence is required to provide proof and substantiate military service, residence, marriage and Children as well as dependency disability. It is the responsibility of the Veteran, his survivors, or legal representative to furnish any evidence necessary to establish the eligibility of the Veteran or the Family member before interment in a North Carolina State Veterans Cemetery can be approved and accomplished.

Proof of Military Service : The primary document used to verify honorable military service is the DD Form 214. The DD Form 214 is more commonly called a discharge or "Report of Separation from Active Duty". Other forms of proof may be acceptable pending verification. Veterans who are unable to locate their DD Form 214 should contact the local Veteran's office or the nearest state Veterans service office for assistance in obtaining a replacement copy.

North Carolina Residency : Verification of residence at time of entry into military service is documented on the DD Form 214. North Carolina tax records, voter registration, personal income tax or property tax, employment or educational records, official records from U. S. government, state, or municipal agencies can verify residence at time of death and 10-year residency.

Dependents : The primary source for verification of a Spouse is a marriage certificate. Dependent Children may be verified by a birth certificate or other legal documents, such as, adoption papers.

Proof of Disability of an Adult Dependent : A letter is required from the dependent's physician certifying the dependent became permanently incapable of self-support because of a physical or mental disability before attaining the age of 18 years. Medical records and other documents will be considered only as supporting or corroborating documents.

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations and Veterans Affairs Facilities in North Carolina

Please see the North Carolina Resource Locator for additional information

Active Duty
Fort Bragg, NC

Air Force
Pope Field, NC
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC

Camp Lejeune, NC
Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, NC
Marine Corps Air Station, New River, NC

National Guard
North Carolina National Guard

North Carolina Army National Guard

North Carolina Air National Guard

145th Airlift Wing

United States Army Reserve (USAR)
81st Readiness Division

Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in North Carolina:

Veterans Health Administration
VA Medical Centers
Asheville: Asheville VA Medical Center , 1100 Tunnel Rd, 828-298-7911
Durham: Durham VA Medical Center , 508 Fulton St, 919-286-0411 / 888-878-6890
Fayetteville: Fayetteville VA Medical Center , 2300 Ramsey St, 910-488-2120 / 800-771-6106
Salisbury: Salisbury - W.G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center , 1601 Brenner Ave, 704-638-9000 / 800-469-8262

Outpatient Clinic
Fayetteville: Fayetteville Dialysis Clinic , 2301 Robeson St, 910-483-9727
Fayetteville: Fayetteville Health Care Center , 2300 Ramsey St, 910-488-2120 / 800-771-6106
Fayetteville: Fayetteville Rehabilitation Clinic , 4101 Raeford Rd, Suite 100-8, 910-908-2222
Greenville: Greenville Health Care Center , 401 Moye Blvd, 252-830-2149
Hickory: Hickory CBOC , 2440 Century Place SE, 828-431-5600
Raleigh: Blind Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic , 8081 Arco Corporate Dr, 919-286-5235 / Fax: 919-286-5222
Raleigh: Brier Creek Dialysis Clinic , 8081 Arco Corporate Dr, Suite 130, 919-286-5220

Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC)
Charlotte: Charlotte CBOC , 8601 University East Dr, 704-597-3500
Charlotte: Charlotte Health Care Center , 3506 West Tyvola Rd, 704-329-1300
Durham: Hillandale Road Outpatient Clinics I & II : 1824 Hillandale Rd, 919-383-6107 / Fax: 919-383-6128
Elizabeth City: Albemarle Primary OPC , 1845 W City Dr, 757-722-9961
Franklin: Franklin CBOC , 647 Wayah St, 828-369-1781 / Fax: 828-369-1809
Goldsboro: Goldsboro Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 2610 Hospital Rd, 919-731-4809
Hamlet: Hamlet CBOC , 100 Jefferson St, 910-582-3536
Jacksonville: Jacksonville CBOC , 4006 Henderson Dr, 910-353-6406
Kernersville: Kernersville Health Care Center , 1695 Kernersville Medical Parkway, 336-515-5000
Morehead City: Morehead City CBOC , 5420 Highway 70, 252-240-2349
Pembroke: Robeson County CBOC , 139 Three Hunts Dr, 910-272-3220
Raleigh: Raleigh I, CBOC , 3305 Sungate Blvd, 919-212-0129
Raleigh: Raleigh II CBOC , 3040 Hammond Business Pl, Suite 105, 919-899-6259 / Fax: 919-838-9074
Raleigh: Raleigh III CBOC , 2600 Atlantic Ave, Ste 200, 919-755-2620 / Fax: 919-755-2621
Rutherfordton: Rutherford County CBOC , 374 Charlotte Rd, 828-288-2780 / Fax: 828-288-7266
Sanford: Sanford CBOC , 3112 Tramway Rd, 919-775-6160
Supply: Brunswick County Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 18 Doctors Circle (Units 2&3), 910-754-6141 / Fax: 910-754-2570
Wilmington: Wilmington HCC , 1705 Gardner Rd, 910-343-5300

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Charlotte: Charlotte Vet Center , 2114 Ben Craig Dr, Suite 300, 704-549-8025 / Fax: 704-549-8261
Fayetteville: Fayetteville Vet Center , 2301 Robeson St, Suite 103, 910-488-6252 / Fax: 910-488-5589
Greensboro: Greensboro Vet Center , 3515 W Market St, Suite 120, 336-323-2660 / Fax: 336-323-2658
Greenville: Greenville, NC Vet Center , 1021 W.H. Smith Blvd, Suite #100, 252-355-7920 / Fax: 252-756-7045
Jacksonville: Jacksonville Vet Center , 110A Branchwood Dr, 910-577-1100 / Fax: 910-577-1116
Raleigh: Raleigh Vet Center , 8851 Ellstree Lane, Suite 122, 919-361-6419 / Fax: 919-361-6438
Spindale: Rutherford Vet Center Outstation , 303 Fairground Road, 828-288-2757 / Fax: 828-288-2732

Durham: VISN 6: VA Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network , 3518 Westgate Dr, 919-956-5541 / Fax: 919-956-7152

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Benefit Office
Winston-Salem: Winston-Salem Regional Benefit Office , 251 N. Main St, 800-827-1000

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Camp Lejeune: Camp Lejeune
Camp Lejeune: Cherry Point MCAS
Camp Lejeune: New River MCAS
Fort Bragg: Fort Bragg , Soldier Support Center
Seymour-Johnson AFB: Pope Air Force Base , Family Support Center
Seymour-Johnson AFB: Seymour Johnson Air Force Base , Family Support Center

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
New Bern: New Bern National Cemetery , 1711 National Ave, 252-637-2912 / Fax: 252-637-7145
Raleigh: Raleigh National Cemetery , 501 Rock Quarry Rd, 252-637-2912 / Fax: 252-637-7145
Salisbury: Salisbury National Cemetery , 501 Statesville Blvd, 704-636-2661 / Fax: 704-636-1115
Wilmington: Wilmington National Cemetery , 2011 Market St, 910-815-4877 / Fax: 252-637-7145

Learn more

Back to top


Back to top

Document Review Date: 19 December 2017