New Mexico

State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Benefits
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Miscellaneous Benefits
Resource Locator
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities

Summary: New Mexico offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including property tax exemptions, New Mexico National Guard Tuition Scholarship Program, Education and Tuition Assistance, Vehicle Tags, as well as Hunting and Fishing License privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: None

Property Tax Exemption: Veterans may qualify for a $4,000 reduction in the taxable value of their real property for county taxation purposes. This benefit can also be used for a 1/3 discount when registering a vehicle in New Mexico.
Eligibility: Any Veteran who served a minimum of 90 days consecutive active duty (other than for training), was honorably discharged, and is a legal resident of New Mexico. The benefit is also available to the un-remarried surviving Spouse of a Veteran who would have otherwise qualified for this benefit.  Application

Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemptions: Any Veteran who has been rated with a 100% service-connected disability by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and is a legal resident of New Mexico, qualifies for a complete property tax waiver on their primary residence.
Eligibility: Veterans are eligible if they have been honorably separated from military service of the United States and served continuously for a period of 90 or more days. If discharged with less than 90 days service, such discharge must have been as a result of service incurred disability; or you have been honorably discharged from service in the Army, Army Reserves or Army National Guard with a minimum of six years of continuous service; and you are a legal resident of the State of New Mexico. You are entitled to the above benefits if you are the un-remarried surviving Spouse of a Veteran who served under the conditions outlined in the information shown above or if you are an un-remarried Surviving Spouse of a Veteran who died in service under the conditions cited above, and you are a legal resident of the state of New Mexico. Application

Exemption from Excise Taxes on Vehicle Purchases: Qualified Veterans are exempted from excise taxes when purchasing a new vehicle.
Eligibility: Any Veteran who has suffered the loss, or complete loss of use of one or more limbs due to their service in the military. Application

Veterans' Service Organization Property Tax Exemption: Veterans' Service Organizations are exempt from paying property tax on the property of its facility.
Eligibility: The Property of a Veterans' Service Organization chartered by the United States Congress and that is used primarily for the benefit of Veterans and their Families, is exempt from property taxation. Application

Learn more

Retired Military Pay: The state offers a low- and middle income exemption. The maximum exemption is $2,500. To qualify, the amount on line 7 of the state income tax form must be equal to or less than $36,667 (single), $27,500 (married filing separately), or $55,000 (married filing jointly). A deduction also applies for those 65 and older if your adjusted gross income is not over $51,000 for a joint return, $28,500 for a single taxpayer, or $25,500 for a married taxpayer filing separately.

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: Not subject to federal or state taxes

Military SBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Learn more

Back to Top

Education Benefits :

Vietnam Veterans' Scholarship: The Vietnam Veteran Scholarship is a state scholarship for resident undergraduate and graduate students that provides tuition, fees, and book allowances to Vietnam Veterans certified by the New Mexico Veterans' Service Commission. Each scholarship is for a period of one academic year. Renewable if student maintains satisfactory progress. To apply students should contact their institution’s financial aid office. Application

  • Must have been a resident of New Mexico for a minimum of 10 years

  • Vietnam Veteran as reviewed and certified by the NM Veterans Service Commission

  • Honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States, who was a resident of New Mexico at original time of entry into the armed forces or who has lived in New Mexico for 10 years or more

  • Been awarded the Vietnam campaign medal for services in the armed forces of this country in Vietnam during the period of August 5, 1964 to the official termination of the Vietnam conflict as designated by executive order of the President of the United States, is eligible for certification

Learn more

Wartime Veteran Scholarship Fund : Can be used by any Veteran who has served in combat since 1990 and who has exhausted all available federal G.I. Education Benefits options. The Combat Veterans' Scholarship Award is to reimburse state funded schools for tuition costs and books directly associated with undergraduate and master's degree work at a public New Mexico Institute of Higher Education only. Application
Eligibility: This scholarship is available to Veterans who have been residents of New Mexico for a minimum of ten years and who were awarded the Southwest Asia Service Medal, Global War on Terror Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal or any other medal issued for service in the Armed Forces of the United States in support of any U.S. Military campaign or armed conflict as defined by congress or presidential executive order for service after August 1, 1990.

Learn more

In-State Tuition for Veterans: All Veterans separated or retired, regardless of point of separation or state of residence are eligible to receive in state tuition while attending UNM using VA Education benefits. This waiver is for use while attending in residence in New Mexico. This applies to all who have received any type of discharge other than “dishonorable”. Please turn your DD 214-Automated (which must contain item #24: "Character of Service"), separation, or retirement orders into admissions when applying for this waiver.

Learn more

In-State Tuition for All Active Duty and Dependents Stationed in New Mexico: All Active Duty members and their dependents are billed at in-state tuition rates while stationed in New Mexico. Further, the dependents maintain in state status if they remain continuously enrolled and in good standing even if the Active Duty sponsor is transferred. An Active Duty Military Waiver is required with the admission process.

Learn more

In-State Tuition for All Active Duty Dependents Whose Sponsor Resides/Is Stationed Outside of New Mexico: This provision enables dependents of Active Duty or National Guard on Title X orders to be billed at in-state tuition rates even though their sponsor is not stationed in New Mexico. Dependents do not have to be using a Federal Educational Benefit; however, they must submit a Letter of Intent with a, Non Resident Military form, to establish New Mexico residency. The following actions per the Letter of Intent need to be completed and documentation submitted to admissions no later than the third Friday of the student's first term of enrollment:

  • Transfer Driver’s license to New Mexico. (See for requirements.)

  • Register any vehicle titled in the dependents name in New Mexico.

  • Obtain a voter's registration to vote in New Mexico.

  • Provide a Defense Eligibility Enrollment System (DEERs) DD Form 1172

Learn more

Children of Deceased Veterans Scholarship: Full tuition waiver at any state funded post-secondary school. A $150 stipend, per semester, will be issued to help with books or fees. Children who shall be selected to be beneficiaries of this fund shall be selected by this the Department of Veteran Services office based on need and merit. Application
Eligibility: Child must be between the ages of 16 and 26 and enrolled in a state supported school. Veteran of the Armed Forces must have been a resident of New Mexico at the original time of entry into the United States Armed Forces. Veteran must have been killed in action or as a result of such action during a period of armed conflict. Children and Spouse of National Guard Members killed while on active duty are also eligible for this scholarship.

Learn more

New Mexico Lottery Scholarship: Many military members go directly out of high school in to the service and have not used their Lottery Scholarship and are eligible to use it upon separation. The Lottery scholarship pays TUITION ONLY, not fees, and can be used for up to 8 semesters. In order to enact this scholarship, you must be a NM resident who graduated from a NM public (or accredited NM private) high school or receive a NM GED. Further requirements include:

  • Entered active duty directly out of high school

  • Did not have a chance to start at a Public Higher Education Institution between graduation and active duty

  • Upon separation/retirement from the military you must have entered a Public Higher Education Institution and enrolled in a Baccalaureate degree program during the first regular semester

  • Earn at least 12 credit hours with a minimum 2.5 grade point average during the first semester in college

Learn more

World War II and Korean Veterans High School Diploma: Any WWII or Korean War Veteran who joined the Armed Forces while attending a New Mexico high school prior to graduation is eligible for a high school diploma. Application
: To be eligible to receive your diploma under this program, you must have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces. Additionally, you must have served between the following dates:

  • December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 (WWII)

  • June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955 (Korean War)

Finally, you must have been on track to graduate after 1940 and before 1955.

New Mexico Veterans who are deceased are also eligible to receive a diploma. Family members of Veterans may apply on their behalf.

Learn more

Apprenticeship Training: The state offers apprenticeship and theoretical training programs for qualified Veterans, who can receive their G.I. Bill benefits while working full-time and earning a salary. Qualified Veterans sign a contract establishing the length and scope of the training. All programs must meet apprenticeship standards set by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Apprenticeship programs typically last between two to five years. Businesses and programs participating in a Veteran's apprenticeship program must require a participating Veteran to spend a minimum 2,000 hours of on-the-job training, along with a minimum 144 hours per year of related instruction.

Typical apprenticeship opportunities are offered for: Carpenters, ironworkers, sheet-metal workers, plumbers, construction and architectural design. More info 505-383-2431

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.

  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
Dr. Paul J. Aguilar, Commissioner
Deputy Secretary Finance and Operations
New Mexico Public Education Department
Address: Jerry Apodoca Education Building

300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Phone: 505-827-6519

Learn more

Back to Top

Employment Benefits :

Employment Assistance: The New Mexico Department of Veterans Services works with local federal, state and local agencies to help unemployed Veterans find jobs. There are 16 field offices of the New Mexico Department of Veterans’ Services located throughout the state. Each is staffed by an accredited Veterans’ Service Officer (VSO) to assist Veterans and their dependents with filing for their federal and state benefits. Most VSO’s also have regularly-scheduled outreach visits to smaller surrounding communities. Office Locations

The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions has a division specifically dedicated to helping Veterans find employment. Go to the "Job Seeker" or "Veterans" headings at the top of the department's website for more information. Or you can contact NMDW State Veterans' Coordinator Chris Zafra at 505-841-8517

Members of the New Mexico National Guard or any of the Armed Forces Reserve Units can also get assistance from the Employment Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). More information can be found on their website or phone 505-271-7117.

Guard or Reserve Unit members can also contact the Hero2Hired Program for employment assistance with military-friendly companies. The H2H Program was created by the U.S. Department of Defense as part of its Yellow Ribbon Re-integration Program. For more information, contact Chris Baca at 505-271-7116.

The United States Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) is aggressively recruiting Veterans to fill VA jobs in New Mexico and nationwide. For more information, visit the VAforVETS website .

The VA has another link to help Veterans. On its eBenefits Main Link, go to the bottom and click on the following two links: VOW to Hire Heroes , or VeteransJobBank .

Learn More

Paid Leave for Reserve and National Guard Service Members: State employee receives 15 days military leave per year. An additional 15 days of military leave/year if performing duty in support of OIF or OEF for Army National Guard only.
Eligibility: State employees in the Reserves and the National Guard who are called to active duty shall first be granted any remaining military leave from the fiscal year normally used for training purposes and then be granted an additional fifteen (15) days of military leave, as authorized by the governor. ( NMAC) Members of organized Reserve units or the National Guard ordered to active duty training shall be given up to fifteen (15) working days of paid military leave per federal fiscal year. These fifteen (15) days are in addition to other authorized leave. ( NMAC)

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preference (State): The State of New Mexico recognizes that preference shall be granted to United States Veterans, Disabled Veterans, National Guardsmen. or residents of the state in accordance with eligibility requirements in accordance with provisions of NMSA 1978 Sections 10-9-13.2 NMSA 1978 . If you are a United States Veteran or a current National Guard member, you will be granted 5 points, which will be added to your final passing numerical scores on applications after documentation verification. If you are a United States Disabled Veteran, you will be granted an additional 5 points, which will be added to your final passing numerical scores on applications after documentation verification.
Eligibility: To be entitled to preference, a United States Veteran must meet the eligibility requirements in accordance with the provisions of Section 10-1-13.2 and Section 20-4-9, NMSA 1978. This means that the Veteran had:

  • An honorable or general discharge from the United States Armed Forces.

  • An honorable discharge with a service-connected disability from the United States Armed Forces.

  • Currently serving in the National Guard.

When applying for New Mexico State government jobs, eligible Veterans and/or National Guard members should respond to the statewide question. Applicants claiming preference must submit appropriate documentation with their application.

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference : Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Surviving Spouses, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Surviving Spouse) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn More

On-The-Job Training (OJT) : The state offers On-the-Job-Training (OJT) programs which typically last between six months to two years. Participating Veterans work under a skilled worker's supervision and draw monthly benefits from the U.S. Veterans' Administration. Upon completion, the Veteran is awarded a certificate by the employer indicating the successful completion of that training program. Some of the programs offered under OJT program are: heating and air conditioning repair, law enforcement, security and corrections officer training, warehouse operations, shipping and receiving clerks, landscaping, welding, commercial painting, auto mechanics and the beverage & food industry. For more info call 505-383-2431.

Learn more

Operation Sound Stage: Operation Soundstage is a pilot program to put military Veterans to work on movie and TV productions in New Mexico. The Veterans’ movie production pilot program is a multi-state agency partnership which aims to increase the hiring and training of military Veterans for production by movie studios and television production companies here in New Mexico. The partnership includes New Mexico Film Office, the New Mexico Department of Veterans’ Services and the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions.

Learn more

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act: Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protect civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of Reserve components. USERRA also makes major improvements in protecting Service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.

Absence from Work for Military Duty: USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met.

Disability Accommodation: USERRA provides protection for disabled Veterans, requiring employers to make reasonable efforts to accommodate the disability. Service members convalescing from injuries received during service or training may have up to two years from the date of completion of service to return to their jobs or apply for reemployment.

Return to Work without Loss of Seniority: USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning Service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. The law clearly provides for alternative reemployment positions if the Service member cannot qualify for the "escalator" position. USERRA also provides that while an individual is performing military service, he or she is deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and is entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded other individuals on non-military leaves of absence.

Extension of Health and Pension Plans: Health and pension plan coverage for Service members is provided for by USERRA. Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102 percent of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the Service member had remained employed. USERRA clarifies pension plan coverage by making explicit that all pension plans are protected.
Veterans, Reservists, or National Guard members who leave a position for training or active military service.

The Department of Labor, through the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) provides assistance to all persons having claims under USERRA, including Federal and Postal Service employees. VETS regional and state offices can be found here .

Learn more

Back to Top

Unemployment Compensation :

Unemployment Insurance (UI): UI provides temporary financial assistance to qualified individuals who meet state eligibility requirements. UI benefits are financed through employer payroll taxes; they are not deducted from employee paychecks. Everyone who collects UI benefits is legally responsible for following the rules according to New Mexico state law.

To apply and certify weekly for unemployment benefits:

  • Officially register and/or log into your account in this system, the New Mexico Workforce Connection ( ).

  • If you are currently logged in or once you register/log into the system, click on "Unemployment Insurance" under the "Quick Menu" on the left-hand side of the screen.

  • Log into the UI Claims and Benefits system.

  • If you have questions or need additional information, contact a Customer Service Agent at the NMDWS Unemployment Insurance Operations Center by calling 1-877-NM-4-MYUI (1-877-664-6984), Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Computers are available at your local New Mexico Workforce Connection Centers and local libraries. The UI Tax & Claims System is available to take initial claims and weekly certifications 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Friday. Please allow at least 30 minutes to file an online claim prior to system down time.

You will need the following information to file a new claim:

  • Social Security Number

  • Mailing address and phone number(s) of employer(s) you worked for in last 18 months

  • The starting and ending dates of your last job (or jobs if more than one employer in last 18 months)

  • If you are a non-citizen, have your alien registration number and expiration date

  • If you worked during the week you are filing your claim, be sure you know the gross amount (total dollars and cents before any deductions) of your pay before filing

  • Pencil and paper to write down questions and instructions

Filing Information

U.S. Department of Labor information for New Mexico

Learn more

Back to top

Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Benefits:

Special Vehicle License Plates: New Mexico law has established 10 vehicle license plates for qualified Service members, Veterans, retirees and eligible Family members. Veterans who qualify for any special Veteran's plate other than the Armed Forces Veteran's plate shall receive up to two plates. They may purchase the Armed Forces Veteran's plate for as many vehicles as are registered under their name.

Learn more

Armed Forces Veteran Vehicle and Motorcycle Plate: New Mexico law authorizes special registration plates for Armed Forces Veterans. Section 66-3-412.1 adds specific authorization for an Armed Forces Veterans motorcycle plate.
Eligibility: Armed Forces Veterans plates are available for any individual who is a Veteran of the armed forces of the United States or is retired from the National Guard or military reserves, with proof satisfactory to the department of honorable discharge from the armed forces or of retirement from the National Guard or military reserves. Each armed forces Veteran may elect to receive a Veteran-designation decal to be placed across the top of the plate, centered above the registration number.

Available decals include:

  • Medal of Honor recipient

  • Silver Star recipient

  • Bronze Star recipient

  • Navy Cross recipient

  • Distinguished Service Cross recipient

  • Air Force Cross recipient

  • Distinguished Flying Cross recipient

  • Combat Wounded

  • Merchant Marine

  • Atomic Veteran

  • Pearl Harbor survivor

  • Bataan Survivor

  • Navajo Code Talker

  • Vietnam Veteran

  • Korean Veteran

  • Disabled Korean Veteran

  • World War II Veteran

  • World War I Veteran

  • Grenada Veteran

  • Panama Veteran

  • Desert Storm Veteran

  • Iraqi Freedom Veteran

  • Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Fee: $17.00 initially ($9.00 for motorcycles); no added fee upon regular registration renewal.

Learn more

Purple Heart Plates: The Purple Heart plate is issued for up to two vehicles to any person who is a Veteran and a bona fide Purple Heart medal recipient and submits proof that that have been awarded the medal. Most DD 214's list this with other medals that have been awarded or DA form 638 showing issuance of the Purple Heart Award. No fee, including the regular registration fee, shall be collected for this plate.

Learn more

50% Disabled Veteran Plates: The 50% disabled Veteran plate is available for up to two vehicles, including motorcycles, to a Veteran of the armed forces of the United States, upon the submission of proof satisfactory to the department that he was 50% disabled while serving in the armed forces of the United States. No fee, including the regular registration fee, shall be collected for issuance of 50 percent disabled Veteran plate. A 50% disabled Veteran who would also qualify for the disabled person (HP) plate may elect to have the disability wheelchair symbol included on his disabled Veteran plate.

Learn more

Gold Star Family Plate: The Gold Star Family registration plate is available to the surviving mother, father, step parent or Spouse of a Service member killed in an armed conflict with an enemy of the United States. There is a limit of four Gold Star Family registration plates for each eligible Family. There is no charge for this special plate. No fee, including the regular registration fee, shall be collected for issuance of the first Gold Star Family registration plate (one plate only) that is issued to the Service member's mother or Spouse. The remaining three plates are also free, but these recipients are responsible for an annual $17 plate registration fee. Application

Learn more

Medal of Honor Plates: A distinctive Medal of Honor plate is available for any person who has been awarded the Medal of Honor and submits proof satisfactory to the division that he has been awarded that medal. No fee, including the regular registration fee, shall be collected for this plate.

Learn more

Back to Top

Health and Insurance Benefits :

Group Insurance: The New Mexico National Guard Association offers life insurance plans to New Mexico National Guard Service members. The plans offer:

  • $1,000 No Cost coverage for every active Guard Member

  • Convenience of Military Payroll Deduction

  • Spouse and Dependent coverage available

  • Immediate death benefit available

  • No war, terrorism, aviation clauses; coverage on or off duty

  • Unit benefits briefing and coverage review every 12-18 months

  • May remain in effect when you leave the Guard

  • Guaranteed conversion available

Information and beneficiary identification will be done during drill weekends when representatives from SSLI will visit each unit. Should you desire more information now, please visit
Eligibility: New Mexico National Guard members and their eligible Family members

Learn more

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance ( SGLI )

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance ( VGLI )

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance ( FSGLI )

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection ( TSGLI )

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance ( S-DVI )

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance ( VMLI )

Learn more

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Back to Top

Parks and Recreation Benefits:

Day-Pass and Three Free Camping Nights for Disabled Veterans: Any Veteran who is rated 50% or higher service-connected disabled may obtain an annual free day-use pass and three free nights of camping for personal use only. Qualified Veterans can obtain these passes by showing proper identification and proof of disability at any NMDVS field office or download it here . Complete and send the application according to the instructions and attach a copy of your NM driver's license and a copy of the VA award letter showing a rating of 50% or higher.

Free State Monuments and Museums Pass for Disabled Veterans: Any Veteran who is rated 50% or higher service-connected disabled may obtain a free State Monument and Museum pass for personal use only. Qualified Veterans can obtain this pass by showing proper identification and proof of disability at any NMDVS field office or download it here .

Learn more

Veterans’ Day Recreation and Museum Privileges : Every Veterans’ Day holiday, any New Mexico resident who was honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or is currently on active-duty—along with their Spouse and Children–is entitled to free use of any New Mexico State Park . Admission fees will be also be waived for campsites, the Museum of New Mexico , the New Mexico Museum of Natural History , and the New Mexico Museum of Space History .

Learn more

Free Lifetime Game-hunting and Fishing License for 100% Disabled Veterans: New Mexico residents who are 100% disabled as a result of having served in the armed services are eligible for a free lifetime Game-hunting and Fishing License. The disabled Veteran must apply for a Disabled American Veteran (DAV) card. This card is issued by the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish and allows the cardholder to fish, hunt small game and obtain a Deer Hunting License free of charge. The Deer Hunting License will be issued only if the cardholder has applied and been successful in a public-land deer draw or if the cardholder can obtain written permission from a landowner for a private-land deer hunt. The free Deer Hunting License must be applied for each license year, and no preference is given for public-land deer draws. Stamps are required for any privilege not covered by the Disabled Veteran card.For further information telephone: 1-888-248-6866 or Email: .
Eligibility: Any Veteran with 100% service connected disability as determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Application

Learn more

Disabled Resident Veteran Small Game Hunting and Fishing License: New Mexico residents who are disabled Veterans of the armed services, but do not meet the 100% disabled qualification, are eligible for a $10 combination Game-hunting & Fishing License. Disabled Veterans may purchase a license online, by telephone or at license vendors. A Habitat Management & Access Validation and Habitat Stamp are required if applicable with the Disabled Veterans Game-hunting & Fishing License.

Learn more

Reduced Fee Licenses for Active Duty Military and Veterans: 50% discounts on all licenses, permits and stamps are available to New Mexico residents who are active duty military or Veterans. The discount may be claimed by applying for or purchasing any license, permit or stamp online, by telephone or at any license vendor. Residents claiming this discount must be able to provide proof of active duty military or Veteran status upon request. Discount does not apply to:

  • application fees;

  • license vendor fees;

  • administrative fees (i.e. Landowner authorization certificate fee); or

  • the Resident Disabled Veteran Game-hunting & Fishing license.

Learn more

Free Resident Deactivated Service Member Hunting and Fishing License (One Time Benefit): New Mexico residents who are members of the National Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces and were called to active duty on or after 04/03/2003 are eligible for a free game hunting and fishing license for the year following their deactivation and return to the state. Proof of service must be presented at a Game and Fish office. A Habitat Management and Access Validation and Habitat Improvement stamp are not required in conjunction with the free game hunting and fishing license. This is a once-in-a-lifetime benefit.

Learn more

Returning Iraq/Afghanistan Resident Veterans-Only Oryx Hunts: Any New Mexico resident deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan is eligible for an Once-in-a-Lifetime Oryx Hunt, which is available by drawing each license year. New Mexico resident fees apply. Applicant must apply before the application deadline ( NM Hunting Rules & Info page 4) submit a copy of his/her orders or DD-214 with the draw application by Email to , fax: 505-476-8180 or by U.S Mail to:

NMDGF Special Hunts
P.O. Box 25112
Santa Fe, NM 87507

Learn more

Resident Pricing Available for Certain Fort Bliss Hunting Opportunities : Active-duty military personnel stationed at Fort Bliss are eligible for resident pricing on draw hunt licenses for activities that occur on portions of the Fort Bliss military reservation in New Mexico. Each year, proof of assignment must be submitted by email: , fax: 505-476-8180 or mail before the application deadline ( NM Hunting Rules & Info pg. 4) .

Learn more

Military Rehabilitation Fishing License : Members or Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces in rehabilitation programs which include the learning and practice of fishing skills are eligible for free fishing licenses. The rehabilitation program must be sponsored by the federal government or a nonprofit organization authorized by the federal government, and it must be under the direction of a military or federal Veteran's Administration rehabilitation center. The Habitat Management & Access Validation and the Habitat Stamp are not required. For more information, please telephone: 1-888-248-6866.

Learn more

Non-Resident Disabled Active Duty and Veteran Hunting Licenses for Rehabilitation Enrollees : Non-resident active duty member's or Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who are undergoing a rehabilitation program that involves hunting activities are eligible for resident pricing on deer, elk, antelope, javelina, and turkey licenses. The rehabilitation program must be sponsored by the Federal government, or a non-profit organization authorized by the Federal government and it must be under the direction of a military or Federal Veteran's administration rehabilitation center. This benefit is not available through the public draw. Proof of eligibility must be provided. This benefit is available only through the NMDGF Santa Fe office .

Learn more

Back to Top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Veterans Military Honors: The New Mexico Department of Veterans Services coordinates with military and local Veteran organizations to provide an honor guard and bugler for military honors funerals for deceased honorably-discharged Veterans at no charge to the Family.

This service is provided free to the Family of any deceased honorably-discharged Veteran. The NMDVS ensures that all units undergo training and are provided with a small stipend for each service performed. Please contact the nearest Honor Guard Team listed below to make arrangements.

For further questions, or if you are interested in forming an Honor Guard team, please contact Josetta Rodriguez at 505-827-6356 or by Email at

Learn more

Homeless and At-Risk Veteran Services: Through contracts with the New Mexico Veterans Integration Center (NMVIC) in Albuquerque and Mesilla Valley Community of Hope in Las Cruces, The Department of Veterans Services provides transition services for homeless and at risk NM Veterans.

Learn more

New Mexico Veterans Homes: Any Veteran with an honorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States shall be eligible for admission to the New Mexico State Veterans’ Home in Truth or Consequences 575-894-4200 or 800-964-3976, or Ft. Bayard State Veterans’ Home in Santa Clara 575-537-3302. Click here for an application to the New Mexico State Veterans’ Home in Truth or Consequences. Click here for admission information for the FT Bayard State Veterans’ Home.
Eligibility : Eligibility requirements:

  • Honorably discharged Veterans with 90 days or more of service and their Spouses are eligible for admission.

  • Preference is given to New Mexico residents when there is a waiting list – but every Veteran is welcome to apply. Admission is not restricted to New Mexico Veterans only.

  • Gold Star Parents, who have lost Children in the service of their country, are also eligible.

  • Certain members of a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces who meet the legal residence requirements.

Learn more

Back to Top

Military Installations in New Mexico

Please see the New Mexico Resource Locator for additional information.

Active Duty
White Sands Missile Range

Air Force
Holloman AFB
Kirtland AFB
Cannon AFB

National Guard
New Mexico Army National Guard
New Mexico Air National Guard

150th Special Operations Wing

United States Army Reserve (USAR)
63rd Readiness Division

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities

Veterans Health Administration
VA Health Care System
Albuquerque: New Mexico VA Health Care System , 1501 San Pedro SE, 505-265-1711 / 800-465-8262

Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Alamogordo: Alamogordo CCBOC , 3199 N. White Sands Blvd, Ste D10, 515-437-9195 / Fax: 575-551-5040
Artesia: Artesia Clinic , 2410 W Main St, 575-746-3531 / Fax: 575-746-6958
Clovis: Clovis CBOC , 921 East Llano Estacado, 575-763-4335 / Fax: 575-763-4296
Espanola: Espanola CCBOC , 105 S. Coronado Ave, 505-367-4213 / Fax: 505-367-4215
Farmington: Farmington CBOC , 3605 English Rd, 505-326-4383 / Fax: 505-325-1925
Gallup: Gallup CBOC , 2075 NM Hwy 602, 505-722-7234 / Fax: 505-863-6078
Hobbs: Hobbs CBOC , 1601 N. Turner, 4th Fl, 575-391-0354 / Fax: 575-397-9977
Las Cruces: Las Cruces CBOC , 1635 Don Roser, 575-522-1241 / Fax: 575-522-1497
Las Vegas: Las Vegas CCBOC , 624 University Ave, 505-425-1910 / Fax: 505-425-1905
Raton: Raton CBOC , 1493 Whittier St, 575-445-2391 / Fax: 575-445-8714
Rio Rancho: Northwest Metro , 1760 Grande Blvd SE, 505-896-7200 / Fax: 505-994-4285
Santa Fe: Santa Fe CBOC , 5152 Beckner Rd, 505-986-8645 / Fax: 505-986-8662
Silver City: Silver City Clinic , 2950 Leslie Rd, 575-538-2921 / Fax: 575-388-9260
Taos: Taos CCBOC , 1353 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, 575-751-0328 / Fax: 575-758-8934
Truth or Consequences: Truth or Consequences CCBOC , 1960 North Date St, 575-894-7662 / Fax: 575-894-7930

Vet Center - 877-927-9387
Albuquerque: Albuquerque Vet Center , 2001 Mountain Rd NW, 505-346-6562 / Fax: 505-346-6572
Farmington: Farmington Vet Center , 4251 E. Main Ste A, 505-327-9684 / Fax: 505-327-9519
Las Cruces: Las Cruces Vet Center , 1120 Commerce St, Suite B, 575-523-9826 / Fax: 575-523-9827
Santa Fe: Santa Fe Vet Center , 2209 Brothers Rd, Ste 110, 505-988-6562 / Fax: 505-988-6564

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Albuquerque: Albuquerque Regional Benefit Office , Dennis Chavez Federal Bldg, 500 Gold Ave, SW, 800-827-1000

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Fort Bayard: Fort Bayard National Cemetery , 200 Camino De Paz, 505-988-6400 / Fax: 505-988-6497
Santa Fe: Santa Fe National Cemetery , 501 North Guadalupe St, 505-988-6400 / Fax: 505-988-6497

Learn more

Back to Top


Back to Top

Document Review Date: 28 March 2018