New Jersey

State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation
Miscellaneous Benefits
Resource Locator
VA Medical Facilities


Summary: The State of New Jersey offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including Income Tax Exemptions on retired military pay and property tax, State Employment Preferences, Education and Tuition Assistance, Vehicle Tags, New Jersey Distinguished Military Medals, Burial benefits, Free State Park Admission, Free Private Beach Facilities, as well as Hunting and Fishing License privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component and Veteran disability status.


State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

Retired Military Pay: Military retirement pay is exempt from New Jersey income taxes.

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Military SBP/ RCSBP/RSFPP: Survivor benefits are not taxable for New Jersey income tax purposes.

Learn more

Disabled Veterans Real Property Tax Exemption: Veterans, who have a certified service-connected total and permanent disability resulting from service during a time of war, and their Spouses or civil partners, are entitled to a 100% exemption from real property tax on their principal residence.
Eligibility: The following criteria apply:

  • Applicant must be an honorably discharged Veteran with a total and permanent disability resulting from active wartime service, or their un-remarried surviving Spouse or civil partner.

  • Certification of the active wartime service periods as described on Form D.V.S.S.E. must be presented (i.e., DD214, certificate of award, expeditionary medal, etc.), as well as certification of total and permanent disability from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

  • If an un-remarried surviving Spouse or civil partner with proper documentation purchases a principal residence in New Jersey, and the Veteran would have been found eligible prior to their death, then the Spouse or civil partner is also eligible for the exemption.

Learn more

New Jersey Property Tax Deduction: There is an annual property tax deduction of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00). Application must be filed with all required documentation prior to December 31 of the pre-tax year. Documentation includes the property deed and discharge (DD-214) for the Veteran. The Widow may need to submit the property deed, marriage certificate, death certificate and discharge (DD-214). Continuance of Deduction The tax assessor may at any time require the filing of a new application or request documentation to determine continuance of the deduction. However, the tax assessor cannot require a new application from every Veteran or Spouse every year. Deduction for Cooperatives: For cooperatives, the procedure is different. The manager or superintendent must complete forms indicating the names and locations of the Veterans or Spouses within the co-op to the tax assessor. The deduction is then granted to the co-op, the co-op is responsible to either reduce the rent by deduction amount or present a check to the Veterans or Spouses. Refunds for Deductions: No Retroactive payment for the deduction for any previous year(s) when an application was not filed with all supporting documentation.

For Veterans:

  • Served during a specified wartime period. (Must have served at least 14 days in combat zone (one day if deployment results in injury). Combat zone qualification is most frequently indicated by an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal)

  • Citizen of the United States

  • Resident of New Jersey

  • Honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in a war-time period, in any branch of the U.S. Armed Services.

For Surviving Spouses:

The surviving wife or husband of a Veteran who was a citizen of the United States and resident of New Jersey and one of the following:

  • Was receiving the deduction prior to the Veteran's death.

  • Would have been eligible for the deduction had the Veteran filed an application prior to death.

  • Has died on active duty in a wartime period.

Learn more

Back to top

Education Benefits

Operation Recognition High School Diplomas for Veterans: This program awards a state-endorsed New Jersey high school diploma to any New Jersey Veteran who left a New Jersey high school to enter military service during World War II, the Korean and Vietnam conflicts.
Eligibility: New Jersey Veterans who:

  • Are current New Jersey residents.

  • Left a New Jersey high school directly to join the military between:

    • September 16, 1940 - December 31, 1946

    • June 23, 1950 - January 31, 1955

    • December 31, 1960 - May 7, 1975

  • Were discharged honorably or under honorable conditions.

  • Veterans who were a member of any branch of service including Merchant Marine and Coast Guard.

Veterans who have since earned a GED are eligible. Diplomas may be issued posthumously. Surviving Family members of eligible Veterans are encouraged to apply. New Jersey Revised Statutes 18A:7C-4.1

Learn more

New Jersey National Guard Tuition (Waiver) Program (NJNGTP) : Any member of the New Jersey National Guard is eligible to attend regularly scheduled courses at any one of 30 public institutions of higher education in the state of New Jersey and receive up to 16 credits per semester hours of instruction at no charge. Only tuition will be waived; the applicant is required to pay for all other expenses, including books, lab fees, etc.
Eligibility: All members and surviving dependents of New Jersey National Guard Service members are eligible, provided:

  • The Service member completed Initial Active Duty Training (IADT).

  • The Service member is/was an active member of the New Jersey National Guard in good standing.

  • The applicant has been accepted to pursue a course of undergraduate study and is enrolled as a student in good standing at that institution.

  • The applicant must apply for all available state and federal grants and/or scholarships for which he/she is eligible to receive by completing and submitting a FAFSA to the institution's Financial Aid office. Any awarded grants or scholarships are utilized first, followed by the NJNGTP.

  • The applicant must complete a NJDMAVA 621-2-R , Commander's Certificate of Eligibility each semester, and submit to their college.

Learn more

Vietnam Veterans Tuition Credit Program: Veterans attending any approved educational institution may apply for the Vietnam Veterans Tuition Credit Program. Under the program, partial reimbursement is provided to the institution to offset the cost of the Veteran's tuition. Maximum reimbursement is $400.00 per year for full-time students, $200.00 per semester for full-time students and $100 per semester for part-time students.
Eligibility: To qualify, the Veteran must have been on active duty between Dec. 31, 1960, and May 7, 1975, and have been a legal resident of NJ at the time of entrance into or discharge from the service, or for a period not less than one year immediately prior to application.

Learn more

POW-MIA Tuition Benefit Program: Free undergraduate college tuition is available to any Child born or adopted before, during, or after the period of time his or her parent was officially declared a prisoner of war (POW) or person missing in action (MIA) after January 1, 1960.
Eligibility: The POW-MIA must have been a New Jersey resident at the time he or she entered the service or whose official residence is in NJ. The Child must attend either a public or private institution in NJ A copy of DD1300 must be furnished with the application.

Learn more

War Orphans Tuition Assistance: Children of those service personnel who died while in the military or due to service-connected disabilities, or who are officially listed as missing in action by the U.S. Dept. of Defense may claim $500.00 per year for four years of college or equivalent training.
Eligibility: To qualify, the Child must be a resident of New Jersey for at least one year immediately preceding the filing of the application and be between the ages of 16 and 21 at the time of application. The Veteran must have been a state resident.

Learn more

New Jersey Vietnam Vets Memorial Foundation Scholarship Program: Each year the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Foundation awards two (2) scholarships to high school seniors from New Jersey who plan to further their education either at a college, university or trade/technical school. The scholarships, each in the amount of $2,500, will be awarded to high school seniors from New Jersey.

  • Be a New Jersey resident

  • Be a graduating high school senior

  • Have visited the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans Memorial (on their own / class trip / scholarship tour)

Application Process:

  • A reflective essay focused on the student’s experience visiting the Memorial

  • A completed application form, signed and dated (If under 18, parent signature is required)

  • A letter of acceptance to a college, university or trade school

  • Completed application packages must be mailed or dropped off

Winners will be notified in early May and will be awarded the scholarship during the Memorial Day Ceremony held at the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

To assist students in writing their essays, the Foundation offers free, Veteran-led guided tours of the Memorial available on Saturdays at 11am and 1 pm during scholarship season from early February to mid-April. Applications are only accepted through the mail (PO Box 648, Holmdel, NJ 07733) or dropped off to Foundation staff (1 Memorial Lane, Holmdel, NJ 07733). Please check the Foundation website for the current application.

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.

  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
To be determined, the position is currently vacant.

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits

Employment Assistance: Public employees are authorized up to 90 workdays of military leave per year.
Eligibility: New Jersey National Guard Service member. Employees must be permanent, at-will, or Full-Time Temporary. Drill weekends are not considered active duty for purposes of paid military leave.

Employment Assistance: Public employees are authorized up to 30 workdays of military leave per year.
Eligibility: Members of the Reserves. Employees must be permanent, at-will, or Full-Time Temporary. Drill weekends are not considered active duty for purposes of paid military leave.

Learn more

Reemployment Timetable for Citizen Soldiers: Employers must provide military leave of absence to the citizen Soldier.

  • Less than 31 days of service - Report next work day after safe travel from home and 8 hours rest.

  • 31-180 days of service - Apply for reinstatement within 14 days of release from active duty.

  • Over 180 days of service - Apply for reinstatement within 90 days of release from active duty.

Learn more

Veterans Civil Service Preference (State): Candidates who served in the military during World War II, the Korean Conflict, or the Vietnam Conflict are eligible for civil service Veteran preference if all of the following conditions are met:

  • They served for at least 90 days of active duty (the 90-day requirement does not apply if one received a service-incurred injury or disability); and

  • They were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable; and

  • The period of service was within the time periods listed below:

    • World War II - On or after September 16, 1940, and must have begun on or before December 31, 1946.

    • Korean Conflict - On or after June 23, 1950, and must have begun on or before January 31, 1955.

    • Vietnam Conflict - On or after December 31, 1960, and must have begun on or before May 7, 1975.

Candidates who served in the military during the peacekeeping missions in Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Arabian Peninsula/Persian Gulf (Operation Desert Shield / Desert Storm), Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom are eligible for civil service Veterans preference if all of the following conditions are met:

  • They served for at least 14 days on active duty OR served at least one day on active duty and received a service-incurred injury or disability; and

  • The service was in the geographic area or on a ship patrolling the territorial waters of the nation, or in the airspace over Bosnia and Herzegovina; and

  • They were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable; and

  • The period of service was within the time periods listed below:

    • Lebanon Crisis - On or after July 1, 1958, and must have begun on or before November 1, 1958.

    • Lebanon Peacekeeping Mission - On or after September 26, 1982, and must have begun on or before December 1, 1987.

    • Grenada - On or after October 23, 1983, and must have begun on or before November 21, 1983.

    • Panama - On or after December 20, 1989, and must have begun on or before January 31, 1990.

    • Arabian Peninsula/Persian Gulf (Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm) - On or after August 2, 1990 and on or before February 28, 1991

    • Somalia - On or after December 5, 1992, and must have begun on or before March 31, 1994.

    • Bosnia and Herzegovina - On or after November 20, 1995 (and must have begun on or before June 20, 1998).

    • Haiti - On or after September 19, 1994, and must have begun on or before March 31, 1995.

    • Operation Enduring Freedom - On or after September 11, 2001 who served in a theater of operations and in direct support of that operation.

    • Operation Iraqi Freedom - On or after 19 Mar 2003 in Iraq or in another area in the region in direct support of that operation.

    • Operations Southern and Northern Watch - 14 days on or after August 27, 1992

Eligibility: To be eligible for civil service disabled Veteran preference, candidates must be Veterans as described above and must have incurred a disability. The disability must be one for which they are eligible to receive ten percent or greater disability compensation.

The following are eligible for civil service disabled Veteran preference, if the Veterans would have been eligible for civil service Veterans preference: Spouses of disabled Veterans who are not employed in a New Jersey civil service jurisdiction and agree to waive the preference for the duration of the Spouses' employment; surviving Spouses of disabled Veterans who have not remarried; and surviving Spouses and Parents of Veterans who died in service.

The surviving Spouse of a Veteran who did not die in the service is entitled to the same civil service Veterans preference to which the deceased Veteran would have been entitled until such time as the surviving Spouse remarries.

Note: Candidates whose only active service was for training in connection with a Reserve or National Guard obligation are not eligible for civil service Veterans preference.

Learn more

Veteran's Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference : Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a

  • Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn More

Purchasing Military Service for Civil Service Pensions - PERS: Military Service Before Enrollment - Members of Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS) may purchase up to 10 years of honorable, active duty military service rendered prior to enrollment provided the member is not receiving or eligible to receive a military pension or a pension from any other state or local source for such military service.
The statute specifically provides that the employer shall not be liable for any portion of the cost to purchase. The member is responsible for the full cost of the purchase. Partial purchase is permitted.
Military Service After Enrollment - Members may purchase military service rendered after August 1, 1974 if:

  • You were a member of a New Jersey State administered retirement system when you entered the peacetime military service, and

  • You return to employment within the time periods prescribed by federal law in a position covered by a New Jersey State-administered retirement system when you are discharged from or otherwise end your military service, and

  • Within one year following the date of return to employment or the date initial pension contributions are certified to begin, you apply for or inquire in writing about the purchase.

A member may obtain a quotation of the cost of purchasing additional service credit by submitting a written request to: Supervisor of Purchases, Division of Pensions and Benefits, PO Box 295, Trenton, NJ 08625-0295 or by calling 609-292-7524. It is the member's responsibility to obtain certification of the employment from the former employer for the service credit being purchased if it is not on file with the Division of Pensions and Benefits. No quotations of cost will be calculated until verification of employment is received by the Division of Pensions and Benefits.

Learn more

Other Civil Service Benefits for Veterans Preference:
Appointment of Veterans:
Whenever a disabled Veteran or Veteran shall be certified to an appointing authority from an open competitive employment list, the appointing authority shall appoint the disabled Veteran or Veterans in the order of ranking. New Jersey statues 11A:5-4 through 11A:5-6.

Learn more

Application of statues to promotions: Nothing contained in New Jersey statue 11A:5-4 through 11A:5-6 shall apply to promotions, but whenever a Veteran ranks highest on a promotional certification, a non-Veteran shall not be appointed unless the appointing authority shall show cause before the board why a Veteran should not receive such promotion. New Jersey statue 11A:5-7.

Learn more

Preference in appointment in noncompetitive division: From among those eligible for appointment in the noncompetitive division, preference shall be given to a qualified Veteran. Before an appointing authority shall select a non-Veteran and not appoint a qualified Veteran, the appointing authority shall show cause before the board why a Veteran should not be appointed. In all cases, a disabled Veteran shall have preference over all others. New Jersey statue 11A:5-8.

Learn more

Preference to Veterans in layoffs: When a layoff occurs, preference shall be given first to a disabled Veteran and then to a Veteran, but the preference shall apply only where the disabled Veteran or Veteran has seniority in title equal to that of a non-Veteran also affected by the layoff. New Jersey statue 11A:5-9.

Learn more

Hearing on dismissal of Veterans: Before any department head shall dismiss any Veteran, such department head shall show cause before the Civil Service Commission why such Veteran should not be retained, at which time such Veteran or Veterans may be privileged to attend. The Civil Service Commission shall be the sole judge of the facts constituting such qualification. New Jersey statue 11A:5-10.

Learn more

Veterans not to be discriminated against because of physical defects: Veterans suffering from any physical defect caused by wounds or injuries received in the line of duty in the military or naval forces of the United States during war service shall not be discriminated against in an examination, classification or appointment because of the defect, unless this defect, in the opinion of the Civil Service Commission, would incapacitate the Veteran from properly performing the duties of the office, position or employment for which applied. New Jersey statue 11A:5-11.

Learn more

Employment or promotion of persons awarded Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross or Navy Cross: Any individual who has served in the Army, Air Force, Navy, or Marine Corps of the United States and who has been awarded the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross or Navy Cross, while a resident of this State, and any individual who has served in the United States Coast Guard and who has been awarded the Medal of Honor or the Navy Cross while a resident of this State, shall be appointed or promoted without complying with the rules of the Civil Service Commission. The appointing authority to whom the individual applies for appointment or promotion shall, at its discretion, appoint or promote that person. Upon promotion or appointment, that person shall become subject to the rules of the Civil Service Commission. A person who qualifies under this section shall not be limited to only one appointment or promotion. New Jersey statue 11A:5-12.

Learn more

Helmets to Hardhats: The New Jersey State Building and Construction Trades Council's Helmets to Hardhats Program (NJ H2H) is designed to help transitioning military personnel, National Guardsmen and Reservists find the careers in the building and construction industry. The program seeks to help military members find a career in one of 15 affiliated trades, such as electrical workers, carpenters and painters. They work in cooperation with the national Helmets to Hardhats program, adding a personal component to the program's on-line services. NJ H2H offers Veterans preparation for successful application to any of New Jersey's registered apprenticeship programs in the building and construction trades. Services include career counseling, entrance test preparation and referral to supportive services.
NJ H2H is open to Active Duty Soldiers who will be transitioning to civilian employment in the near future, Military Veterans, National Guardsmen, and Reservists who have honorably served our country. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to participate.

Learn more

License to Vend: Honorably discharged Veterans may obtain a no-fee license to vend any goods, wares or merchandise, or solicit trade within the state (NJSA 45:24-9). Licenses are procured from the county clerk's office (NJSA 45:24-10) and regulated by municipalities. Call your County Clerk to obtain additional information.
Food vendors must also comply with state and local health licensing requirements.

All vendors must register with the N.J. Division of Taxation, and collect and remit collected sales tax on required items.

Contact the Division of Taxation for more information. Food vendors must also comply with state and local health licensing requirements. The general info line is 609-826-4400 or 1-800-323-4400.

Learn more

Licenses for Brokers: Licenses for real estate brokers, agents and solicitors are also available at no charge to a Veteran.
Eligibility :

  • Veterans are waived the 3 years-experience requirement as a Salesperson to qualify for a Broker License.

  • Completion of 225 college credits in Real Estate or related courses at an accredited institution or completion of 75 hrs. Salesperson course and the 150 hrs. Broker course at an accredited NJ Real Estate Broker School.

  • Submit a Certification of Disability from Veteran Administration.

  • Copy of DD214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty) certifying an honorable discharge from military.

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation

Unemployment Insurance : New Jersey's Department of Labor and Workforce Development administers the Unemployment Insurance, providing temporary assistance to unemployed New Jersey workers.

To receive your unemployment insurance benefits, you must claim benefits for each week which you wish to receive benefits. You may claim benefits online here or by phone at the following numbers:

  • Union City - 201-601-4100

  • Freehold - 732-761-2020

  • Cumberland - 856-507-2340

  • Out-of-State- 888-795-6672

You will claim benefits either every week or every two (2) weeks, depending on the method which you use. You can only claim benefits for the week(s) prior to the week in which you are claiming benefits. Unemployment Insurance weeks begin on a Sunday and end at midnight on Saturday.

To claim benefits you must certify that you meet the weekly eligibility requirements listed below. You must:

  • Be able to work.

  • Be available for work.

  • Be actively seeking work.

  • Not refuse an offer of suitable work.

You will need the following information to file a claim:

  • *Your New Jersey driver's license number or Non-Driver Photo Identification Card number if available.

  • Pencil/pen and paper.

  • Your Social Security Number.

  • If you are not a citizen, you will need your Alien Registration Documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This includes your alien registration type and number, country of origin, and your Employment Authorization Card or Permanent Resident Card if authorized to work in the United States.

  • If you wish to have your benefits directly deposited to your bank, your bank information.

  • Employer information on all employer(s) in the last 18 months including: Name, address, telephone number, beginning and end dates of employment, and reason for separation.

  • If you had military employment a copy of your DD214.

  • If you had federal employment your copy of your SF8 or SF50 if available.

* While this information is not required to file a claim, entry of this information will expedite claim processing.

Your claim will be dated the Sunday of the week in which you call so make sure you call during the week you want your claim to begin. The unemployment week runs Sunday to Saturday. Call volume is heaviest on Mondays, so for faster service, call later in the week.

Learn more

Back to top

Department of Motor Vehicles Benefits

Veteran's Honorary Designation: On July 1, 2016, the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) began issuing a permanent imprinted Veteran designation on driver’s licenses and non-driver ID cards. You may request your permanent imprinted Veteran designation driver’s license or non-driver ID card by following the instructions at the “Learn more” link below. You must visit a MVC office for initial issue or renewals. Replacement licenses may be requested at a MVC office or by mail.

Learn more

License Extensions: If you are on active military duty, including New Jersey National Guard and Reserve, you are entitled to automatic extensions for your driver license, registration and inspection requirements.

  • Your license, registration and inspection documents will remain valid for as long as you are actively serving in the US Military.

  • If you are demobilized, you will need to renew your expired documents within two weeks of your demobilization date.

  • Law enforcement officials are aware of this extension. Please carry the extension letter along with your active duty military credentials at all times when operating a vehicle.

Learn more

Registration Refunds : If you enter the US Armed Forces and have a valid New Jersey registration, you can get a refund for the remainder of the registration period. To obtain a refund:

  • Write a letter stating the reason you are requesting a refund along with proof of service.

  • Complete and return a refund form (RU-9). Refund forms are also available at all MVC agencies or by calling 609-292-6500

  • Return the original registration and the New Jersey license plates along with a copy of military orders and a copy of the out-of-state registration.

Learn more

Service-Disabled or Blind Veterans : You may qualify for free registration if you meet the following classifications:

  • Are without sight as a result of war service and eligible for compensation from the state under N.J.S.A. 38:18-1.

  • Currently have another service-connected disability and have qualified for a free automobile from the US Veterans Administration and:

    • You have a valid New Jersey driver license or a generated driver license number.

    • The vehicle in question is equipped with special attachments or devices that may be necessary for its safe operation.

    • The vehicle is properly insured by a New Jersey licensed company.

To apply for free registration, visit any MVC Agency or call 609-292-6500 from out-of-state. Mail the certified application with affixed seal or stamp of U.S. Veterans Administration to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Government Unit
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0016

Once the free registration status has been established, all subsequent renewals can be completed by mail or at an MVC Agency .

Learn more

No Fee Automobile Registration: The Veteran must have a service-connected 100% disability rating and also be eligible for the automobile financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

In addition, the Veteran must have incurred or aggravated one of the following injuries during active military service:

  • Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet.

  • Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands.

  • Permanent impairment of vision of both eyes to a prescribed degree. Veterans with best-corrected vision no better than 20/200 or less or field defect of 20 degrees or less are considered eligible.

To apply - Application for plates and registrations are processed by Motor Vehicle Services. Applications are available at local Motor Vehicle Agencies. For more information, call 1-888-486-3339.

Learn more

No Fee Automobile Registration for Medal of Honor Recipients : Medal of Honor recipients are eligible for a no-fee registration and will receive special license plates noting their award. For information call 1-888-486-3339.

Please note: These plates are available through the mail or in person at the Special Plate Unit, NJ Motor Vehicle Commission headquarters at 225 East State Street in Trenton.

Learn more

Other Military plates honor :

  • The National Guard ($15.00)

  • Disabled American Veterans ($15.00)

  • Combat Infantryman Badge ($15.00)

  • Medal of Honor (issued only to holders of the Medal of Honor at no charge)

  • Silver Star (no charge)

  • Prisoners of War (no charge)

  • Veterans of Foreign Wars ($30.00)

Call MVC at (609) 292-6500 ext. 5061to request an application.

Mail the completed application to:
NJ Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Plate Unit
PO Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

Learn more

Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The State of Massachusetts will pay one half of National Guard Service member's monthly SGLI premiums. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance ( SGLI )

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance ( VGLI )

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance ( FSGLI )

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection ( TSGLI )

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance ( S-DVI )

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance ( VMLI )

Learn more

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Readjustment Counseling: This program addresses the readjustment problems of Veterans and offers treatment to combat Veterans of all war periods. Treatment extends to Family members affected by the Veteran's affliction. State Veterans Service Officers assist the Veteran with scheduling counseling and the filing of any applicable VA claims. Contracted clinicians, experienced in PTSD counseling, determine the best course of treatment for the Veteran and the Veteran's Family. Assistance is not limited by VA regulations or restrictions.

Learn more

Medical Benefits: State medical benefits provided for Soldiers on State Active Duty for greater than 30 days.
Eligibility: New Jersey National Guard members.

Learn more

Workers Compensation: National Guard Service members on State Active Duty receive worker's compensation. Injury and Death benefits are available through worker's compensation.
Eligibility: New Jersey National Guard Service member.

Learn more

Back to top

Parks and Recreation Benefits

Free Fishing and Hunting Licenses for National Guard Members: New Jersey National Guard members are eligible for free Fishing, Firearm Hunting, Bow Hunting, and Trapping Licenses.
Eligibility: New Jersey National Guard Service members.

Learn more

Licenses for Active Duty Service Personnel: Any person on active duty in the armed services of the United States, whether a state resident or non-resident, is entitled to hunt and fish with a resident license. Service personnel may obtain a resident hunting license upon presenting proof of active duty to a license agent. A previous resident license (from this or any other state) of the appropriate type or proof of successfully completing the appropriate hunter education course is still required to obtain a hunting license.
Eligibility: Active Duty Service members.

Learn more

Fishing and Hunting Licenses for Disabled Veterans: The NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife will annually issue the following items FREE to each qualified disabled Veteran: a fire arm, bow & arrow, fishing or all-around hunting license, a pheasant and quail stamp and a trout stamp. In addition, disabled Veterans may apply for free permits: one bow and arrow deer permit; one firearm (muzzleloader or shotgun) deer permit; one spring and one fall turkey permit for use during applicable hunting season. All rules and regulations pertaining to the lottery system and laws for each season still apply. Additional permits for added hunting opportunities may be purchased at the current rate. Disabled Veteran License Application - NJ Residents only
Eligibility : Veterans who are residents of New Jersey and who have been honorably discharged, or released under honorable circumstances, from active service in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States; Veterans who have been declared by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have a service-connected disability of any degree. Applicants must provide verification of discharge and service-connected disability.

Learn more

Free admission to New Jersey State Parks: The New Jersey Division of State Parks and Forestry does not charge an admission fee for entrance into a State park or forest to any of the following:

  • A resident of the State of 62 or more years of age or who is totally disabled;

  • An active member of the New Jersey National Guard who has completed Initial Active Duty Training

  • A member of a unit of the organized reserve of the Armed Forces of the United States which is located in New Jersey;

  • An active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States;

  • A disabled Veteran; or

  • A retired member of the New Jersey National Guard.

Learn more

Free Beach Facility - New Jersey National Guard members can use the privately-owned beach located at Sea Girt, New Jersey. Guard members can avoid the crowds at public beaches and enjoy summer activities with friends and Family.
Eligibility: New Jersey National Guard Service members.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits

NJ Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA): The New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA) offers low interest rate HMFA mortgages that provide Veterans and their Families with increased buying power and a savings of thousands of dollars in interest over the life of the loan. HMFA offers residential mortgages to United States Veterans through the Veterans Administration (VA) home buyer program. Private lenders that are approved to participate in the programs originate most HMFA homeownership loans.

Veterans can apply for an HMFA mortgage for any of the following: first time and urban home buyers, police and firefighters, purchase and rehabilitation mortgages, and reverse mortgages for seniors. More than 55 participating lenders with hundreds of locations throughout the state offer HMFA mortgage products, and can help determine the right mortgage for you.

VA home buyer loans often require no down payment and HMFA offers a below-market, fixed interest rate. Closing costs may not be included in the loan; however, the seller is allowed to pay most costs, which makes it possible for a Veteran to buy with virtually no cash down. Closing costs generally include VA appraisal, credit report, escrow, title evidence, recording fees, a 1% loan origination fee and discount points.

A reverse mortgage loans allow seniors (62 and over) to access the equity in their home without a monthly repayment schedule for as long as they live in the home. Loan proceeds can be taken in a lump sum, monthly payments, line of credit or some combination of these options. Loan amount is determined by property value and borrower age. Counseling is required. No restriction on value of property. No income requirements or verification.
Eligibility: New Jersey residents must first be eligible for a federal VA guaranteed home loan.

Learn more

Veterans Transportation Program: This program assists the Veteran in need of transportation. The program originated due to the distance many N.J. Veterans had to travel to get to a VA facility for medical care. Free transportation is offered to VA medical centers and clinics, other hospitals, private physicians, VA Regional Office and local Veterans Service Offices in most counties. The State Veterans Service Officer in the county should be contacted to explain the details of the program, level of service in that county, qualifications and requirements, and assist in scheduling the transportation.

Learn more

Homeless Intervention Program: Offers referral assistance to those who are homeless, involuntarily displaced or in imminent danger of losing their home. Call 609-530-6868.

Learn more

Veterans Haven: The program is divided into three phases: treatment; self-reclamation; and community reintegration. Each phase lasts three to six months and is tailored to individual treatment needs and vocational interests. The Transitional Housing Program for homeless Veterans currently has two locations, Veteran's Haven North is located on top of a scenic mountain in Glen Gardner and Veteran's Haven South is located in Winslow, halfway between Atlantic City and Camden.
Eligible Veterans are referred from a VA Medical Center after receiving a medical evaluation. To be admitted into the program, the Veteran must agree to a long-term program focusing on psychological, social and vocational rehabilitation. The program is drug and alcohol free, and has a staff comprised of professionals in the fields of mental health, addictions, social work, vocational rehabilitation and nursing.

The program is divided into three phases:

  • Treatment (TR)

  • Self-Reclamation (SR)

  • Community Reintegration (CR)

Learn more

New Jersey Veteran Memorial Homes: The Division of Veterans Healthcare Services operates three modern long-term care nursing homes located in Paramus , Menlo Park , and Vineland . Comprehensive services and a deep concern for the residents go hand-in-hand at New Jersey's three state-operated Veterans' nursing homes. Around-the-clock medical and nursing care is provided by a full-time staff of physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and trained nursing assistants. Rehabilitative services, such as occupational and physical therapies, speech therapy, and recreational activities are provided under the direct supervision of licensed therapists. Wide ranges of other medical services are also offered.
The facilities are open to Veterans of all wars who served on active duty and were honorably discharged, qualified National Guard/Reserve Retirees, the Veteran's Spouse, and Spouses and parents of members of the military who were killed in action during a period of war (Gold Star Parent). A Spouse/Widow/Widower must be at least 50 years of age and must have been married to the Veteran for a period of not less than 10 years. Preference is given to applicants who were state residents for at least two years immediately prior to application for admission. Applicants must meet certain asset limitation criteria. Residents pay according to ability based on income.
Application for Admission

Learn more

Brigadier General William C. Doyle Veterans Memorial Cemetery: Free internment and perpetual care, in this cemetery is available to Veteran residents of New Jersey, their Spouses and dependent Children. The cemetery is located at 350 Province Line Rd, Wrightstown, NJ 08562 / 603-758-2400. Burial entitlements include a plot, grave liner, interment service, use of the chapel and maintenance in perpetuity, all at no charge to the Veteran or Veteran's Family. The U.S. bronze grave marker is provided by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. The state provides the granite base.
Eligibility: Applicant to be interred must be a legal resident of the state of New Jersey at the time of death or have lived at least 50% of his or her life within the state. New Jersey residents who are eligible must be one of the following:

  • Service members who died while on active duty.

  • Veterans whose last active service ended under other than dishonorable or undesirable conditions.

  • Members of any reserve component of Army or Air National Guard or the Reserve Officers Training Corps of the Army, Navy and Air Force who dies under honorable conditions while on active duty for training or performing full-time service.

  • Members of a reserve component who has attained 20 years of service creditable for retired pay.

  • Certain World War II Merchant Marines and those who have attained Veteran status.

  • The Spouse, Widow/er, or dependent Child of any eligible New Jersey Veteran. Eligible Children must be unmarried and under the age of 21 or be an unmarried adult Child who became incapable of self-support before reaching the age of 21 because of mental or physical impairment.

Learn more

Catastrophic Entitlement: The state of New Jersey, through the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, pays $750 a year to those Veterans who are receiving VA compensation entitlements for 100 percent disability ratings and who have the following disabilities:

  • Multiple Sclerosis

  • Hemiplegia

  • Blindness

  • Paraplegia

  • Double Amputee

  • Quadriplegia

  • Osteochondritis

Eligibility: In the absence of one of the above, a Veteran may qualify if in receipt of a single 100% war-time service-connected disability or a combination of permanent war-time service-connected disabilities totaling 100% that are equivalent to the symptoms of one or a combination of the seven above disabilities.

To qualify, service must have been during a time of war and the Veteran must have been a resident of New Jersey at the time of entry into the military and when applying for the entitlement. The law now includes payment to the surviving Spouse of the Veteran.

Any Veteran or surviving Spouse receiving the entitlement who is required to move from the state for reasons of health or employment may be entitled to continue to receive the compensation under certain conditions.

Application may be made through any State Veterans Service Office .

Learn more

Back to top

Veterans Affairs Facilities in New Jersey

Veterans Health Administration
VA Health Care System
East Orange: VA New Jersey Health Care System

VA Medical Centers
East Orange: East Orange Campus of the VA New Jersey Health Care System , 385 Tremont Ave, 973-676-1000
Lyons: Lyons Campus of the VA New Jersey Health Care System , 151 Knollcroft Rd, 908-647-0180

Outpatient Clinic
Camden: Camden VA Outpatient Clinic , 300 Broadway, Suite 103, 877-232-5240 / Fax: 215-823-4514

Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Brick: James J. Howard Community Clinic , 970 Rt. 70, 732-206-8900 / Fax: 732-836-6002
Cape May: Cape May County CBOC , 1 Monro Ave, 800-461-8262 x2850 / Fax: 302-633-5384
Elizabeth: Elizabeth CBOC , 654 East Jersey St, Suite 2A, 908-994-0120 / Fax: 908-994-0131
Hackensack: Hackensack CBOC , 385 Prospect Ave, 201-342-4536 / Fax: 201-342-8741
Hamilton: Hamilton CBOC , 3635 Quakerbridge Rd, 609-570-6600 / Fax: 609-570-6684
Jersey: Jersey City CBOC , 115 Christopher Columbus Dr, Suite 201, 201-435-3055 / Fax: 201-435-3198
Marlton: Burlington County CBOC , 3000 Lincoln Drive East, 844-441-5499
Morristown: Morristown CBOC , 340 West Hanover Ave, 973-539-9791 / Fax: 973-539-9242
Newton: Sussex Outpatient Clinic , 222 High Street, 973-756-1504
Northfield: Atlantic County CBOC , 1909 New Rd, 800-461-8262 x2800 / Fax: 609-872-1567
Paterson: Paterson CBOC , 11 Getty Ave, Bldg #275, St. Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center, 973-247-1666 / Fax: 973-247-7995
Piscataway: Piscataway CBOC , 14 Wills Way, Bldg 5, 732-981-8193 / Fax: 732-981-8194
Sewell: Veterans Health Clinic at Gloucester County , 211 County House Rd, 877-823-5230 / 877-823-5320 / Fax: 215-823-5265
Tinton Falls: Tinton Falls Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 55 North Gilbert St, Building, 732-842-4751 / Fax: 732-842-1573
Vineland: Cumberland County CBOC , 79 W Landis Ave, 800-461-8262 x6500 / Fax: 856-794-2760
Vineland: VA Clinic NJ Veterans Memorial Home , Northwest Blvd, 856-692-1588

Vet Center 877-927-8387
Bloomfield: Bloomfield Vet Center , 2 Broad St, Suite 703, 973-748-0980 / Fax: 973-743-0380
Ewing: Trenton Vet Center , 934 Parkway Ave, Suite 201, 609-882-5744 / Fax: 609-882-5743
Lakewood: Lakewood Vet Center , Parkway Seventy Plaza, 1255 Route 70; Unit 22N, 908-607-6364 / Fax: 732-905-0329
Secaucus: Secaucus Vet Center , 110A Meadowlands Parkway, Suite 102, 201-223-7787 / Fax: 201-223-7707
Ventnor: Ventnor Vet Center , 6601 Ventnor Ave, Suite 105, Ventnor Bldg, 609-487-8387 / Fax: 609-487-8910

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Newark: Newark Regional Benefit Office , 20 Washington Place, 1-800-827-1000

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Colt's Neck: Earle Naval Weapons , NWS Earle Fleet and Family Support Center, 201 Hwy 34, Bldg C59
Fort Monmouth: Fort Monmouth , Army Career and Alumni Program (ACAP)
Fort Dix: Fort Dix , HQ, US Army Garrison, HRM, Bldg 5418
Lakehurst: Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Station , Fleet & Family Support Center
McGuire AFB: McGuire Air Force Base , Family Support Center

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Beverly: Beverly National Cemetery , 916 Bridgeboro Rd, 215-504-5610 / Fax: 215-504-5611
Pennsville: Finn's Point National Cemetery , 454 Fort Mott Rd, 215-504-5610 / Fax: 215-504-5611

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations in New Jersey

Please see the New Jersey Resource Locator for additional information

Picatinny Arsenal
Fort Dix

Earle Naval Weapons Station
JBMDL - Lakehurst

Air Force
JBMDL - McGuire

National Guard
New Jersey Army National Guard
New Jersey Air National Guard

177th Fighter Wing
108th Wing

United States Army Reserve (USAR)
99th Regional Support Command

Back to top


Back to top

Document Review Date: 28 August 2017