State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Department of Transportation Benefits
Health Insurance Benefits
Parks & Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities


Summary: Hawaii offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including State Tax Advantage, Property Tax Exemptions, Hawaii National Guard Tuition Scholarship Program, Vehicle License Plates, Tax exemption on passenger cars, Preference in State and County Classified Employment, as well as State Veterans Cemetery benefits. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: (HRS §235-7(a)(3)) Income received by members of the reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States of America, and the Hawaii National Guard  as compensation for performance of duty, equivalent to pay received for forty-eight drills (equivalent of twelve weekends) and fifteen days of annual training duty, at a pay grade of E-5 and below after eight years of service is exempt from state taxation.
Reserve Component Service members.

Learn more

Retired Military Pay: Not taxed

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: (§235-7) Military retirement pensions are exempt from Hawaii State Taxes.

Learn more

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: Not subject to federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Military SBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: SBP is not taxed as per HRS §235-7(a) (3).

Learn more

Property Tax Exemptions: ( HRS §14-246-29 ) Real property owned and occupied as a home by any person who is totally disabled due to injuries received while on duty with the U.S. Armed Forces is exempt from all property taxes, other than special assessments.
Eligibility: The exemption remains in place with no expiration, provided:

  • The Veteran provides proof of service and disability (DD214 and award letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs)

  • The Veteran claiming exemption remains 100% disabled

  • The exemption is not allowed on more than one house for any one person

  • That the property in which the Veteran resides is not used for a commercial purpose.

Non-remarried surviving Spouses of disabled Veterans are also eligible for the tax exemption, provided the Spouse submits proof of marriage and the deceased Veteran's disability.

Property taxes are assessed by each of the four counties in the state of Hawaii. Each county has their own special assessment rate and forms for the exemption.

County of Honolulu
County of Kauai
County of Maui In addition Maui County also has an exemption for un-remarried surviving Spouses of a Veteran who died while on duty in military service and shall be levied a real property tax of $150 per year.
County of Hawaii

Learn more

Passenger Vehicle Tax Exemption: ( HRS §14-249-6 ) State Tax exemptions on passenger vehicles are granted when they are owned by totally disabled Veterans.
Eligibility: The exemption is valid provided:

  • Is a resident of Hawaii;

  • Has been other than dishonorably discharged from the United States uniformed armed forces;

  • Is determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor to have a service-connected one hundred per cent disability rating for compensation or a service-connected disability rating of one hundred per cent; and

  • Is in receipt of disability retirement pay from any branch of the uniformed armed forces,

This exemption shall not extend to vehicles used for commercial purposes, nor to more than one vehicle owned by the disabled Veteran.

Learn more

Back to top

Education Benefits:

Hawaii Kupono Diploma Program: The Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) Kupono Diploma Program grants honorary high school diplomas to World War II, Korean, and Vietnam War era Veterans, as well as individuals whose schooling was interrupted due to internment in relocation camps during World War II.
Veterans applying for this program must match the following criteria:

  • Veterans must have been enrolled in a State of Hawaii public high school prior to enlistment in military service.

  • Evidence of military status eligibility must be included with the program application (DD214 or Enlisted Record with proof of honorable discharge).

  • Military service must have been during World War II, the Korean War, or Vietnam War.

  • Internees must have been enrolled in a State of Hawaii public school prior to internment, and must provide evidence of being interned in a relocation camp.

Under this program, qualified Veterans or internees who successfully completed a General Education Diploma (GED) program will also be granted an honorary high school diploma. Diplomas may also be awarded posthumously and awarded to Family members. There is no cost to participate in the Kupono Diploma Program.

To apply for the Kupono Diploma Program:

  • Download the application here ​.

  • Application requests may be sent by e-mail to cherry_okahara@notes.k12.hi.us ​​ . Or mail to: Hawaii State Department of Education, Kupono Diploma Program, PO BOX 2360, Honolulu, HI 96804

  • Applications may be submitted at any time. However, applications must be submitted no later than January 30 to participate in the current year graduation ceremony.

  • Application processing will take four to six weeks. The Department of Education will contact all applicants regarding program eligibility.​

Learn more

Residency for Tuition Purposes (Veterans, Service members and dependents): Non-resident Veterans, military Service members who are stationed in Hawaii and their dependents are eligible to attend colleges in Hawaii at the resident tuition rate.
Nonresidents may be allowed to pay resident tuition if they qualify as one of the following:

  • United States military personnel and their authorized dependents during the period such personnel are stationed in Hawai‘i on active duty;

  • Members of the Hawairy personnel and their authorized dependents;

  • Veterans eligible to use Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) or Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30) Active Duty educational benefits, who live in Hawaii, and enroll at the University within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more;

  • Individuals eligible to use transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) or Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30) Active Duty educational benefits, who live in Hawaii, and enroll at the University within three years of the transferortive duty service of 90 days or more duty service of 90 days or more;

  • Individuals eligible to use Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) educational benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, who live in Hawai‘i; and

  • Individuals eligible to use transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) educational benefits, who live in Hawai‘i, and whose transferor is a member of the uniformed services who is serving on active duty.

Learn more

Hawaii National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program: The Hawaii National Guard Tuition Assistance Program offers year-round tuition assistance towards your undergraduate degree at the University of Hawaii system of schools statewide. Please contact the HIARNG Education/Incentives Office if you require funding for private universities, non-degree certification, licensing courses, or other training programs. National Guard personnel who qualify for STAP will receive tuition assistance in the form of a reimbursement payment after successfully completing a class that goes directly towards an undergraduate degree.

Maximum payment amounts are listed in Enclosure 2 of the Hawaii National Guard Tuition Assistance Policy. Currently the maximum payment amounts are:

  • 100% of the tuition for classes that go directly towards your undergraduate degree at a community college

  • 50% of the tuition for classes that go directly towards your undergraduate degree at a university

Eligibility: You must:

  • Be in the military grades of E1-E9, W1-W5, or O1-O3;

  • Be residents of the State of Hawaii as defined by the University of Hawaii (UH);

  • Remain a satisfactory participant in their Unit;

  • Be a classified undergraduate student or an incoming freshman of the UH System of Schools;

  • If enlisted, have an ETS date equal to or greater than the last day of a class for which you are request the tuition assistance;

  • Have completed their Advanced Individual Training (an ETP memo can be submitted to waive this requirement)

Applications are due 30 days after the start of classes. Grades are due 15 days after the end of classes. For more information or an application contact your Unit Readiness NCO or the Hawaii National Guard Education / Incentives office at 808-672-1019 or roman.j.lim.mil@mail.mil .

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.

  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
Kathleen F. Berg, Brig. Gen. (Ret), Hawaii Commissioner
Address: 1229 Kuuna St
Kailua, HI 96734
Email: kberg@hawaii.edu
Phone: 808-262-5008

Cherry Torres Okahara, Military Liaison, Hawaii Department of Education
Address: 1390 Miller Street, #309
Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
Email: cherry_okahara@notes.k12.hi.us
Phone: 808-271-5724

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits:

State Employee Leave for Military Duty: (§78-16.5) State and city employees receive 15 days military leave per year. Additional 15 days from the succeeding year may be used provided that the officer's or employee's entitlement to fifteen working days under this section for the succeeding calendar year shall be canceled and the officer or employee shall so agree in writing.
State and city employee on orders for Unit Training or Active Duty.

Learn more

Military Caregiver Leave: A State employee is eligible for up to 26 weeks of unpaid leave in a single 12-month period to care for your military relative (Spouse, Child, parent, or next of kin) if they have a qualifying serious illness or injury incurred in the line of duty.

Learn more

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act: Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protect civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of Reserve components. USERRA also makes major improvements in protecting service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.

Absence from Work for Military Duty: USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met.

Disability Accommodation: USERRA provides protection for disabled Veterans, requiring employers to make reasonable efforts to accommodate the disability. Service members convalescing from injuries received during service or training may have up to two years from the date of completion of service to return to their jobs or apply for reemployment.

Return to Work without Loss of Seniority: USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. The law clearly provides for alternative reemployment positions if the service member cannot qualify for the "escalator" position. USERRA also provides that while an individual is performing military service, he or she is deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and is entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded other individuals on non-military leaves of absence.

Extension of Health and Pension Plans: Health and pension plan coverage for service members is provided for by USERRA. Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102 percent of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the service member had remained employed. USERRA clarifies pension plan coverage by making explicit that all pension plans are protected.
Veterans, Reservists, or National Guard members who leave a position for training or active military service.

The Department of Labor, through the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) provides assistance to all persons having claims under USERRA, including Federal and Postal Service employees. VETS regional and state offices can be found here .

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference : Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn more

State Veterans Preference for Public Employment: The State of Hawaii Department of Human Resources Development manages the Veterans Preference Program for public employment. Non-disabled Veterans receive 5 Veterans preference points; disabled Veterans receive 10 points. Preference points are added to examination scores completed by applicants for open competitive positions only.
In order to be eligible applicants claiming 5 points must submit a copy of their DD-214. Applicants claiming 10 points must submit an official statement from the Veterans Administration or armed service dated within the past 12 months which confirms their qualification to receive 10 points preference. Spouses or Widows must also submit evidence of marriage and, as applicable, Veteran's death.

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Insurance: Unemployment Insurance (UI) is a state-operated program that provides temporary financial assistance to qualified workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own and meet the legal requirements of the law. Benefits are based on your past employment and attachment to the labor market rather than on your financial situation. Employers pay all costs of UI through a tax on their payrolls or on a reimbursable basis. As a worker, you do not pay any part of your wages to finance unemployment benefits or the unemployment insurance program.

To file a new, additional, or reopen a claim you must file online, go to https://huiclaims.hawaii.gov/#/ . You will need the following information to file a claim:

  • Your social security number.

  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, you need your alien registration number.

  • Your employment information for the past 18 months, including employer’s name, address, zip-code, phone number, dates of employment, and reason for separation.

  • If you were separated from active duty military, you need your DD-214 member 4 copy. Do not delay your filing if you do not have your DD-214. You can provide this documentation at a later date. If you don’t have a copy of your Form DD-214, request a copy online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records .

  • If you were in federal employment, you need your SF8 or SF50 or pay-stubs.

  • Your bank account number and your bank’s routing number. Use your bank routing number and account information on your personal check. To deposit to a savings account, contact your financial institution to obtain the correct routing and account information.

You must file between the hours of 6:30 am to 11:00 pm, Monday to Friday or between 9:00 am to 11:00 pm on weekends and holidays (Hawaii Standard Time). A confirmation page will be displayed at the end and you will also receive a confirmation email. Ensure you follow all instructions provided to you on confirmation page after your application has been completed. You must also download and submit applicable forms as required, and read the information in the handbook .

For assistance please contact your nearest Unemployment Office. Office locations can be found here .

Learn more

Veteran Unemployment Services: The Workforce Development Division (WDD) and its network of One-Stop Career Centers not only offers its array of employment and training services to Veterans, but also provides relevant applicant recruiting assistance tailored to the needs of the business community. Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVERs) are employed at the centers to offer assistance to employers seeking to hire Veterans with specific skills and experiences. LVER staff members are Veterans themselves and have received special training at the National Veterans Training Institute (NVTI).

Job seekers can access employment search engines by visiting any WDD office or One-Stop Career Center . Additionally, Veterans may search for jobs and access other services through HireNet Hawaii . Additional information on Veteran services and programs can be found in the State of Hawaii Workforce Development Division brochure .

Learn more

Back to top

Department of Transportation Benefits:

Hawaii Department of Motor Vehicles: A statewide Department of Motor Vehicles does not exist in Hawaii; each county has been given the responsibility of regulating and providing driver licenses and vehicle registration. Copies of Chapter 286, Hawaii Revised Statutes (Sec. 41-69) relating to vehicle registration may be found here .

Customers with specific questions may contact their county driver license/state ID office:

Learn more

"Veteran" Designation for Driver License/State ID:A "Veteran" designation for Hawaii driver licenses and state ID cards is now available for eligible Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Eligibility:Veterans of the uniformed services of the United States and who were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions are eligible. Applicants must provide a completed application for a Hawaii Driver's License or Hawaii Identification Card and proof of qualification. Acceptable documents include:

  • DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)

  • NGB Form 22 (National Guard Report of Separation from Active Duty)

  • Prior to January 1, 1950 - WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO, 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, NAVCG 553, DD Form 217

  • Discharge Certificate reflecting characterization of discharge

  • Verification letter issued by the Veterans Administration

  • Verification letter issued by the Office of Veteran Services

  • Military Retired Identification Card (DD Form 2, Retired)

  • Official Military Orders

  • Veteran's Health Identification Card (VHIC)

Applicants whose driver's license, permit, or state ID's are not within the renewal period may add the Veteran designation by applying for a duplicate by presenting one of the documents listed above at a driver license issuing facility; regular duplicate fees will apply. There is no additional charge to add the designation during a license or ID card renewal.

Applicants for new or renewal driver's licenses, instructional permits, and state ID's are required to provide the necessary documents for proof of name, date of birth, Social Security number, principal residence, and legal presence status. Please visit the following links for details:

Customers with specific questions may contact their county driver license/State ID office at:

  • County of Hawaii: 808-961-2222

  • City/County of Honolulu: 808-532-7730

  • County of Kauai: 808-241-4242

  • County of Maui: 808-270-7363 (Molokai: 808-553-9067, Lanai: 808-565-7878)

Learn more

Vehicle Weight Tax Exemption: Members of the United States Armed Forces on active duty stationed at a military installation in Hawaii and who are residents of another state are exempt from payment of Hawaii's motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle registered in their name. Individuals who are members of a reserve component on temporary active duty do not qualify for this exemption. If you qualify and want to be exempt from the tax, you must submit a completed Non-Resident form. Non-resident forms can be obtained from the county office:

A completed form is required each time you are applying for the following:

  • Renewal of a Hawaii registration.

  • Hawaii registration of a vehicle previously registered in another state or county.

  • Hawaii registration of a newly purchased vehicle, and

  • For transfer of ownership of a previously Hawaii registered vehicle.

Should you leave active duty, change your residency to Hawaii or are stationed out of the state of Hawaii but your vehicle remains in Hawaii, you are no longer exempt from Hawaii's motor vehicle weight tax. To avoid a penalty for delinquent registration, you must re-register your vehicle within 30 days of the effective date of your change in status.

Learn more

Special Vehicle License Plates: ( HRS §249-9.2 )For the same cost as regular license plates, qualified Veterans can acquire distinctive Veterans' license plates for their car or motorcycle. Currently available are: "Gold Star Family", "Veteran," "Combat Veteran," "Combat Wounded" (Purple Heart), "Pearl Harbor Survivor," "Former POW," "World War II Veteran" "Korean War Veteran," "Vietnam Veteran," and "Persian Gulf Veteran." An application must be submitted to obtain these plates.

Eligibility: The applicant must submit current vehicle registration and supporting documentation for the requested plate (i.e., DD214 showing dates of service). Gold Star Family members must provide proof of relationship (marriage/birth certificate), Certificate of Casualty report, or death certificate.

Learn more

Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits:

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Group Insurance: Veterans Affairs Life Insurance : The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance ( SGLI )

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance ( VGLI )

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance ( FSGLI )

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection ( TSGLI )

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance ( S-DVI )

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance ( VMLI )

Learn more

Workers Compensation: (§386-161) If a member of the Hawaii national guard or Hawaii state defense force suffers a personal injury arising out of and in the performance of the member's duty therein, compensation shall be paid to the member or the member's dependents by the State for such injury in the manner and in the amounts provided for in this chapter; provided that if in any case arising after May 10, 1951, any such member or the member's dependents receive compensation from the federal government by reason of such injury, the amount of the compensation shall be deducted from the amount which may thereafter become due from the State.
Eligibility: Injury or illness occurred in the line of duty while serving on State Active Duty.

Learn more

Back to top

Parks & Recreation Benefits:

Hunting Licenses: Active duty military personnel and their dependents stationed in Hawaii are considered to be residents for the purposes of obtaining a hunting license.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Hawaii National Guard State Family Programs: The Hawaii National Guard State Family Programs is a resource for Service Members, Retirees, Veterans, and their Families to support their resiliency and growth by providing education, resources, and assistance for the unique environment of today's military way of life. This site has been established to better support Service members and their Families. Programs, benefits and valuable information will be posted here. The main goal is to offer services in support of Family readiness and Service members.
Any Service Member, Retiree, Veteran, or their Family members may find useful links, resources and information at their website.

Learn more

Vital Statistics: Free certified copies of vital statistics forms when needed for Veterans' claims.
When the Veteran's documents are to be used in determining their eligibility to participate in benefits made available by their federal agency. Contact your local Office of State Veteran's Services for more information.

Learn more

Special Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans: The State of Hawaii and the Department of Veterans affairs provides money to certain Veterans for the purpose of purchasing or remodeling a home to improve handicapped accessibility..
Eligibility: Service members or Veterans with a permanent and total service-connected disability that qualify for a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant or a Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant but federal money has been exhausted the state of Hawaii will pay up to an additional $5,000. The award is processed through the Hawaii Office of Veterans Services pending the availability of state funds

Note: The State of Hawaii Office of Veterans' Services will be contacted by the VA after all federal grants have been exhausted in order to initiate a Veterans application for state Special Housing for Disabled Veterans.

VA provides grants to Service members and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist: the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant .

SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:

  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired

  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing

  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing

  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant

  • View and share VA's SHA infographic to help spread the word

SHA grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities adapt or purchase a home to accommodate the disability. You can use SHA grants in one of the following ways:

  • Adapt an existing home the Veteran or a Family member already owns in which the Veteran lives

  • Adapt a home the Veteran or Family member intends to purchase in which the Veteran will live

  • Help a Veteran purchase a home already adapted in which the Veteran will live

The SAH and SHA benefit amount is set by law, but may be adjusted upward annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SAH grants in fiscal year 2018 is $81,080. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SHA grant in fiscal year 2018 is $16,217. No individual may use the grant benefit more than three times up to the maximum dollar amount allowable.

A temporary grant may be available to SAH/SHA eligible Veterans and Service members who are or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a Family member. The maximum amount available to adapt a Family member's home for the SAH grant is $35,593 and for the SHA grant is $6,355.

To apply for a grant, fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555. The Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant . You can access this form by:

Learn more

State Veterans Home: The Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home in Hilo, Hawaii's first State Veterans Home, provides high quality nursing and personal care, applied with courtesy and compassion. The home has been entrusted to the management of Avalon Care Center and its dedicated staff to provide care with a reverence for life emphasizes the sacred individuality of every person. The home is a VA and Medicare/Medicaid certified health care community, striving to honor Veterans through dedicated and compassionate care. The Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home is located at 1180 Waianuenue Ave.
Eligibility: To be eligible for care the Veteran must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Must require skilled or long term nursing home care as defined by the VA, MedQuest, or Medicare as certified by a physician;

  • For adult day health services, they must meet VA or MedQuest criteria as certified by a physician;

  • Must be at least 55 years of age;

  • Admission of persons under age 55 is considered on an individual basis by the admission team with consideration given to the ability of the Home to meet the needs of the Veteran population;

  • Must be honorably discharged;

  • Resided in Hawaii prior to induction in the military or have one year residency in Hawaii;

  • Must be able to pay the resident’s portion of the cost of care (if not covered by other payer sources such as Medicare, MedQuest, etc.);

  • On a space available basis, the Home may accept Spouses, Widows, Widowers, and Gold Star parents;

  • In case of a waiting list the admissions team will utilize the following priority for admissions:

    • Severity of disability

    • Capacity to earn a living

    • Length of military service

    • Amount of combat experience

    • Circumstances of immediate Family;

  • Must meet all other patient clinical criteria for admissions outlined in clinical related policies.

An Admission application and additional application instructions may be found here .

Learn more

State Veterans Cemetery: Burial in one of the Hawaii State Veterans Cemeteries (HSVC) located on Oahu, Hawaii, Kauai, Maui, Molokai, or Lanai is an honor reserved for Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their eligible dependents.

Family members utilize a one grave concept with interments at 4', 6', 8', and 10' depths. Cremations may be placed in a niche in the columbarium wall or inurned in a ground plot. HSVC will provide a gravesite, marker, perpetual care of the gravesite, and will open and close the grave. The Veteran's Family must pay for mortuary services provided by funeral directors and other related costs, usually including transportation of remains. There is a standard plot or interment allowance fee of $700 for each interment payable to State of Hawaii, Department of Defense. The Department of Veterans Affairs will pay the plot or interment allowance fee ($700) for wartime and peacetime Veterans. Families are responsible to pay the plot allowance fee ($700) for active duty, and dependents. When both Spouses are Veterans, two gravesites and two headstones may be provided, if requested. Funeral honors are available through the Hawaii National Guard; please click here for information and a point of contact.
This cemetery is for Veterans, their Spouses, and minor Children who are under 21 years of age or under 23 years of age if pursuing a course of instruction at an approved educational institution. Unmarried adult Children who are physically or mentally disabled and incapable of self-support before reaching the age of 21 years also are eligible for burial.

To establish burial eligibility in the Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery, a copy of the Veteran's official military discharge document with the character of discharge is required, i.e., DD214, WDAGO 53-55, or VA Statement of Service verifying the Veteran's military service. The following information must also be provided:

  • Veteran's full name, rank, branch of service, SSN/VA claim number

  • Date of entry and discharge of service

  • Date of birth and death

For additional information or assistance, please contact:
Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery
45-349 Kamehameha Highway
Kaneohe, HI 96744
808-233-3630 / Fax: 808-233-3633

Learn more

Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Hawaii:

Veterans Health Administration
VA Medical Center
Honolulu: VA Pacific Islands Health Care System , Spark M. Matsunaga VAMC, 459 Patterson Rd, 808-433-0600 / 800-214-1306

Outpatient Clinic
Honolulu: National Center for PTSD - Pacific Islands Division , 3375 Koapaka St, Suite I-560, 808-566-1546 / Fax: 808-566-1885
Kaunakakai: VA Molokai Outreach Clinic , Molokai General Hospital, 280 Home Olu Pl, 808-553-3191
Lanai City: VA Lanai Outreach Clinic , 628-B Seventh St, 808-565-6423

Community Based Outpatient Clinic Ewa Beach: VA Leeward Community Based Outpatient Clinic , Suite 501, 91-2135 Fort Weaver Rd, 800-214-1306
Hilo: VA Hilo Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 1285 Waianuenue Ave, Suite 211, 808-935-3781
Kahului: VA Maui Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 203 Ho'ohana St, Suite 303, 808-871-2454
Kailua-Kona: VA Kona Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 35-377 Hualalai Rd, 808-329-0774
Lihue: VA Kauai Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 4485 Pahe'e St, Suite 150, 808-246-0497 / Fax: 808-246-9349

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Hilo: Hilo Vet Center , 70 Lanihuli St, Suite 102, 808-969-3833 / Fax: 808-969-2025
Honolulu: Honolulu Vet Center , 1680 Kapiolani Blvd, Suite F-3, 808-973-8387 / Fax: 808-973-5295
Kailua-Kona: Kailua-Kona Vet Center , Hale Kui Plaza, Suite 207, 73-4976 Kamanu St, 808-329-0574 / Fax: 808-329-2799
Kapolei: Western Oahu Vet Center , 885 Kamokila Blvd, Suite 105, 808-674-2414 / Fax: 808-674-2534
Lihue: Kauai Vet Center , 4485 Pahe'e St, Suite 101, 808-246-1163 / Fax: 808-246-4625
Wailuku: Maui Vet Center , 157, Ma’a St, 808-242-8557 / Fax: 808-242-8559

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Honolulu: Honolulu Regional Benefit Office , 459 Patterson Rd, E-Wing, Rm 2A100C, 800-827-1000, Fax: 808-433-0478

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Honolulu: Camp Smith , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Fort Shafter , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Hickam Air Force Base , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Marine Corps Base Hawaii , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Pearl Harbor Naval Base , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Sand Island Coast Guard , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Schofield Barracks , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)
Honolulu: Tripler Army Medical Center (First Floor/E-Wing) , Department of Veterans Affairs, 459 Patterson Rd 1st floor (E-Wing)

Regional Loan Center
Honolulu: Honolulu Regional Loan Center , 459 Patterson Road, E Wing, 1-800-827-1000

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Honolulu: National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific , 2177 Puowaina Dr, 808-532-3720 / Fax: 808-532-3756

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations in Hawaii

Please see the Hawaii Resource Locator for additional information

Active Duty

U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam

Air Force
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam

Marine Corps Base Hawaii

National Guard :

Hawaii National Guard

Air National Guard
Army National Guard











Back to top

Document Review Date: 27 November 2017