State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation
Miscellaneous Benefits
Resource Locator
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities


Summary: Alaska offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans. These benefits include the Permanent Dividend Fund (PFD), Military Credit toward State Retirement, Property Tax Exemptions, State Employment Preferences, Education and Tuition Assistance, Veterans Land Discount/Purchase Preference, Vehicle Tags, as well as Hunting and Fishing License privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: Alaska has no state income tax and no state sales tax in most locations. However, some local jurisdictions impose local sales taxes. For more information visit the Office of the State Assessor web page for municipal taxation rates and polices.

Learn more

Retirement Income: Retirement Income is not taxed by the State of Alaska.

Learn more

Property Tax Exemptions for Disabled Veterans: Real property owned and occupied as the primary residence and permanent place of abode by a qualified disabled Veteran whose disability was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and whose disability has been rated as 50 percent or more by the military service or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, is exempt from taxation on the first $150,000.00 of assessed valuation. The exemption transfers to a Spouse if the Veteran passes away and the Spouse is at least 60 years of age.

Learn more

Back to top

Education Benefits:

Alaska Tuition Assistance: The Alaska Adjutant General may authorize payment of up to 100 percent of the cost of tuition and required fees at an Alaska educational, vocational or technical training school.
Eligibility: Alaska National Guard or Alaska Naval Militia member that participates satisfactorily in unit training activities and is a student in "good standing" (enrolled, attending and meeting the minimum success requirements for completion of the program or class) [ Alaska Code Sec. 26.05.296 ]

Learn more

Free Tuition for Spouses or Dependents: Waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees at a state supported educational institution physically located within Alaska.
Eligibility: The Spouse and dependents of armed Service members who were an Alaska resident and died in the line of duty, or was listed by the DoD as a Prisoner of War, or was killed in action are eligible. Students must be in and maintain good standing within a state supported educational facility in Alaska.

Learn more

Resident Tuition: In-State tuition rates are available at any University of Alaska System school for active-duty military personnel or members of the National Guard, or their Spouses or dependent Children.
Eligibility: United States Veterans eligible for a VA education benefit or their Spouse or dependent Children are also eligible for resident tuition. Qualifying students must move to and remain domiciled in the State of Alaska during their course of study.

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.

  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact
Marcy Herman, Legislative Liaison
Alaska Department of Education and Early Development

1535 West 10th Street, Suite 200
P.O. Box 110500, Juneau, AK 99811-0500
Phone: 907-465-2803

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits:

Military Service Credit toward State Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS): Qualified individuals may be eligible to receive up to five years of PERS credit for active military service.
Eligibility: Honorably discharged Service members of the U.S, Armed Forces that are vested in the PERS; surviving Spouses of Service members may also be eligible. Members first hired under the PERS after 30 June 1986 that retired from regular service and are eligible for a federal benefit for the same military service are NOT eligible. Retired National Guard and Reserve unit members may be eligible to claim active military service even though they are eligible for a federal benefit for the same military service.

Military credit does not count towards retirement eligibility; however it is used in the calculation of your monthly benefits.

Military service also includes active service as:

  1. A foreign service officer, foreign service reserve officer, or limited foreign service reserve officer with the U.S. Department of State in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos from 4 August 1964, through 7 November 1975; and

  2. A member of the U.S. Merchant Marines from December 1941, through 30 September 1945.

Learn more

National Guard & Naval Militia Retirement System (NGNMRS): NGNMRS is a retirement system which can pay you a small benefit upon separation from the Alaska Army Guard, Air Guard, or Naval Militia if you meet minimum eligibility provisions.
Eligibility: You must have at least 20 years of combined Alaska guard service, guard service in any other state, active military service and the reserves of them, of which at least 5 years must have been satisfactory service in any branch of the Alaska Guard. An involuntary discharge from the Alaska Guard (for reasons other than misconduct) waives these eligibility requirements.

To apply for NGNMRS benefits please contact the administrative section of your branch of the Alaska National Guard. They will provide you with the appropriate forms and verify your qualifying guard service.

Learn more

Employment Hiring Preference (State) for Veterans and Former Prisoners of War: Veterans are eligible for a state employment hiring preference. In a numerical rating system, Veterans will receive points equal to 5 percent of the total points available from the assessment device(s) added to their score; for disabled Veterans or former prisoners of war, points equal to 10 percent of the total points available from the assessment device(s) will be awarded. If numerical ratings are NOT used, a Veteran will be given consideration and a disabled Veteran or prisoner of war will be given an opportunity to interview.
Eligibility: An honorably discharged Veteran with 181 days or more of active service in the armed forces of the United States with service, 1) between 27 June 1950 and 14 October 1976 or, 2) for which a campaign badge, expedition medal, Purple Heart, award or decoration for heroism or gallantry in action was awarded or, 3) of 181 days or more in the Alaska Territorial Guard; disabled Veteran entitled to compensation by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, honorably discharged or released from active duty due to a service-connected disability or disabled in the line of duty while serving in the Alaska Territorial Guard; prisoner of war [Alaska Code 39.25.159]

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference : Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period 28 April 1952 through 1 July 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after 31 January 1955, and before 15 October 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from 2 August 1990, through 2 January 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning 11 September 2001, and ending on 31 August 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a

  • Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Surviving Spouses, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Surviving Spouse) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after 7 September 1980, (or began active duty on or after 14 October 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn more

Priority of Service: Veterans and their eligible Spouses shall be given priority over a non-Veteran for the receipt of employment, training, and placement services provided under that program. Depending on the service provided the Veteran or Spouse will receive access earlier or instead of an individual not entitled to the priority.
Eligibility: A Veteran that served at least one (1) day in the active military, naval, or air service, and was discharged or released therefrom with other than a dishonorable discharge (active service includes full-time Federal service (typically referred to as Title 10) in the National Guard or a Reserve component). A Spouse of any of the following:

  • Any Veteran who died of a service-connected disability, or

  • Any member of the Armed Forces serving on active duty who, at the time of application for the priority, is listed in one or more of the following categories and has been so listed for a total of more than 90 days: (i) Missing in action; (ii) Captured in line of duty by a hostile force; or (iii) Forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power, or

  • Any Veteran who has a total disability rating resulting from a service-connected disability as evaluated from the Department of Veterans Affairs or

  • Any Veteran who died while a disability, as indicated in previous bullet of this section was in existence

Learn more

Alaska National Guard: Members of the Alaska National Guard are eligible for a state employment hiring preference. In a numerical rating system, National Guard members will receive points equal to five percent of the total points available from the assessment device(s) added to their score. If numerical ratings are NOT used, National Guard members will be given consideration (entire application will be reviewed).
Eligibility: A presently serving member of the Alaska National Guard with at least eight years of service in the Alaska National Guard [Alaska Code 39.25.159c]

Job market information can be found at:

Learn more

Leave for Military Duty: State employees receive up to 16.5 days paid military leave per year for annual training, training, field exercises or for instruction, or when under direct military control in the performance of a search and rescue mission. [ AS 39.20.340 ]

If an employee is called to active duty by the governor, an employee otherwise qualified under (a) of this section is entitled to five days leave of absence without loss of pay, time, or efficiency rating.
Eligibility: National Guard or Army Reserve Service member

Learn more

Veterans Employment Services: The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development has 21 Job Centers across the state. The Anchorage (Midtown and Muldoon), Fairbanks, and Wasilla Job Centers have on-site Veteran Representatives; however, all Job Centers provide priority services to qualified Veterans and their eligible Spouse. Services include:

  • Priority Job Referral

  • Career Counseling

  • Career Assessment

  • Employment Assessment

  • Job Development

  • Labor Market Information

  • Job Search Workshops

  • Special Programs

  • Testing

  • Referral to Educational Services

  • Resume Assistance

  • Education Assessment

Learn more

Restoration of Reserve Members to Former Positions: A member of a reserve component of the United States Armed Forces employed by the state, a political subdivision, or a municipal corporation with the approval of the city council, who is ordered to duty by proper authority, shall, when relieved from duty, be restored to the position the employee held when ordered to duty. [ AS 39.20.350 ]
Eligibility: National Guard or Army Reserve Service member

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Insurance : Alaska's Unemployment Insurance (UI) Program is dedicated to providing unemployed workers fast and accurate payment of UI benefits. With the seasonal nature of much of the state's workforce and Alaska's vast remoteness, unemployment insurance benefits serve not only to bridge the economic gap for the individual worker, but also as a stabilizing influence on local economies.

Filing for benefits online is now the fastest and easiest way to file for benefits.

What information do I need to apply?

  • Social Security Number

  • Address and phone number of last worksite

  • Dates of last employment, include first and last day worked

  • Wages earned in the last week of your employment

  • Other deductible income; vacation pay out, or severance received in the last week of employment

  • Wage Proof

  • Federal employees are required to mail or fax copies of standard form SF8 and SF50, and when possible a Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)

  • Ex-military personnel are required to mail or fax a copy of the DD214 member 4

    Ex-military personnel can obtain these documents at

    Ex-personnel of the Department of Defense can obtain records at

When is my new claim effective? All new claims are effective the Sunday of the week in which you filed your new claim for UI benefits.

The most efficient way to file a claim for unemployment benefits is online. Go to and click on “Unemployment Insurance Benefits”. Contact the claim center for additional assistance. Providing wage proof will expedite benefit disbursement.
For claim center phone numbers, contact addresses and additional information about opening a UI claim read the UI Claimant Handbook on line here .

Learn more

Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act: Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protect civilian job rights and benefits for Veterans and members of Reserve components. USERRA also makes major improvements in protecting Service member rights and benefits by clarifying the law, improving enforcement mechanisms, and adding Federal Government employees to those employees already eligible to receive Department of Labor assistance in processing claims.

Absence from Work for Military Duty: USERRA establishes the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for military duty and retain reemployment rights to five years (the previous law provided four years of active duty, plus an additional year if it was for the convenience of the Government). There are important exceptions to the five-year limit, including initial enlistments lasting more than five years, periodic National Guard and Reserve training duty, and involuntary active duty extensions and recalls, especially during a time of national emergency. USERRA clearly establishes that reemployment protection does not depend on the timing, frequency, duration, or nature of an individual's service as long as the basic eligibility criteria are met.

Disability Accommodation: USERRA provides protection for disabled Veterans, requiring employers to make reasonable efforts to accommodate the disability. Service members convalescing from injuries received during service or training may have up to two years from the date of completion of service to return to their jobs or apply for reemployment.

Return to Work without Loss of Seniority: USERRA provides that returning service-members are reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service (the long-standing "escalator" principle), with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. USERRA also requires that reasonable efforts (such as training or retraining) be made to enable returning Service members to refresh or upgrade their skills to help them qualify for reemployment. The law clearly provides for alternative reemployment positions if the Service member cannot qualify for the "escalator" position. USERRA also provides that while an individual is performing military service, he or she is deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and is entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded other individuals on non-military leaves of absence.

Extension of Health and Pension Plans: Health and pension plan coverage for Service members is provided for by USERRA. Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102 percent of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the Service member had remained employed. USERRA clarifies pension plan coverage by making explicit that all pension plans are protected.
Veterans, Reservists, or National Guard members who leave a position for training or active military service.

The Department of Labor, through the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) provides assistance to all persons having claims under USERRA, including Federal and Postal Service employees. VETS regional and state offices can be found here .

Learn more

Back to top

Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Benefits:

Veteran Designation on Driver licenses and ID Cards: The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles offers a Veteran designation on Driver Licenses and ID cards.
Eligibility: If you are a retired Veteran, or a Veteran of the armed forces discharged under honorable conditions, you are eligible for a Veteran designation on your license or ID card.

To receive the designation, you apply for a driver license or state ID card ( form 478 ), and provide one of the following documents:

  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or DD Form 215); OR

  • Report of Separation and Record of Service, Departments of the Army and Air Force, National Guard Bureau (NGB22 or NGB22A); OR

  • A letter signed by the Veterans Department that identifies yourself as a retired Veteran or Veteran discharged under honorable conditions; OR

  • A valid military identification card that identifies you as a retired Veteran or a Veteran discharged under honorable conditions.

Learn more

Special Military Service License Plates and Unit Symbols: To honor those who have served or are serving with the United States Armed Forces, Alaska offers 13 special military service license plates for no charge to eligible Veterans, retirees, Service members and some Family members. All information regarding special military plates may be found under the military tab here .

In addition to the service plates, 63 different symbols for specific units can be added to some plates. For a list, please visit Military Unit Designations . Please apply using form 803 at your local DMV office .

Learn more

Veteran Plate: License plate with specified branch of military service with the word 'Veteran'; or a Unit Designator Personalized Veteran Plate with approved military unit organizations insignia. Fee is $30.
Acceptable proof of service includes:

  • Copies of discharge papers (DD Form 214)

  • A letter of verification from the Veteran's Administration

  • Military Identification card

  • Or other comparable proof of service

Learn more

Purple Heart Plate: Recipients of the Purple Heart Award are entitled to one set of plates for use on a motor vehicle. There is no fee for the plate.
Eligibility: Applicants must prove receipt of the Purple Heart Award by providing to DMV, official documentation such as DD 214 or a copy of the orders awarding the medal.

Learn more

Gold Star Family Plate: Gold Star plates are eligible to the Spouse, parent, guardian, sibling or dependent of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces killed in the line of duty. There is no fee for the plate.
Eligibility: Applicant must submit a Report of Casualty (DD Form 1300) to be eligible. If the applicant is not listed on the Form 1300, further proof must be submitted to connect the applicant to the fallen Service member.

Learn more

Ex-Prisoner of War: Each eligible applicant may obtain one set of POW plates, free of charge, for display on a non-commercial vehicle.
Eligibility: Applicants must provide written verification from the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs that they were POWs.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran with Parking Privileges: Free Disabled Veteran Parking Permit and Disabled Veteran plates with the wheelchair logo with proof of a service related disability and documentation of a mobility impairment. Special Disability Parking Permit (form 861)
Eligibility: Applicant must provide an Application for Disabled Parking completed by their Alaska licensed physician plus a certificate issued by an agency of the U.S. federal government, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, proving a service related disability. Note: Any additional sets of plates are $100.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran without Parking Privileges: Free Disabled Veteran plates without the wheelchair logo to those with a service related disability that doesn’t meet the criteria for parking privileges. Special Disability Parking Permit (form 861)
Eligibility: Applicant must provide certification from the U.S. government that they have a 50% or greater service related disability. Note: Any additional sets of plates are $100.

Learn more

CDL Road Skills Waiver: If you are a Service member, currently licensed, and drove a military motor vehicle equivalent to a commercial motor vehicle within the last year, you can apply for a CDL without taking a road skills test. You are still required to pass all knowledge tests. This waiver does not apply to school bus or passenger endorsements.

  • 21 years old with a valid non-commercial driver license

  • A US citizen or non-US citizen with a valid permanent resident card

  • Two years commercial driving experience upon discharge from the military

  • A minimum two years good driver record immediately preceding CDL application date

  • Certification from your commanding officer with number of years of operating the vehicle and type of vehicle operated to determine appropriate CDL classification.

  • Pass all knowledge tests

To apply for the CDL Road Skills waiver complete the application for military skills test waiver (form 416) . Page two of form 416 should be filled out and signed by your commanding officer.

Bring this form with you when you apply for your CDL , it will substitute for the road skills test.

Learn more
Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits :

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits. And, because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.

Learn more

Workers’ Compensation: A member of the organized militia who, while performing duties under AS 26.05.070 , including transit to and from the member's home of record, suffers an injury or disability in the line of duty is entitled to all compensation and benefits available under AS 23.30 (Alaska Workers' Compensation Act).
Eligibility: National Guard State Active Duty

Learn more

Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans and Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance ( SGLI )

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance ( VGLI )

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance ( FSGLI )

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection ( TSGLI )

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance ( S-DVI )

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance ( VMLI )

Learn more

Death Gratuity: The surviving Spouse of a qualified Veteran, upon application, will receive a death gratuity in the amount of $750.00 from the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. If there is no surviving Spouse the gratuity will be paid to the personal representative of the Veteran.
Eligibility: Veteran who was a resident of the state of Alaska at the time of death and,

  • Burial occurred in Alaska on or after 13 May 1984;or

  • Death occurred on or after 19 September 1990;

  • Received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions;

  • Was a resident of Alaska for at least one year prior to entry into the military service, and returned to the state as a resident within one year after retiring from military service with the intention of remaining, OR was a resident for at least one year prior to death;

  • Served in the Alaska Territorial Guard, Alaska Army or Air National Guard, Alaska Naval Militia, a Reserve unit of the U.S. Armed Forces in Alaska (if the Reserve unit required a minimum of one weekend of duty per month and 15 consecutive days of active duty training each year for at least three years).

Learn more

Back to top

Parks & Recreation Benefits:

Hunting and Fishing Privileges:
--Alaska National Guard & Military Reserves License:
Alaska offers a complimentary annual hunting and fishing license for residents.
: The following Service members are eligible:

  • Alaska’s National Guard

  • U.S. Army Reserves

  • U.S. Air Force Reserves

  • U.S. Navy Reserves

  • U.S. Marine Corps Reserves

  • U.S. Coast Guard Reserves

Learn more

--Resident Disabled Veteran: The State of Alaska honors their resident disabled Veterans (DV) by providing a complimentary hunting and fishing license/card to those who meet the Department of Fish and Game’s residency definition and who are certified 50% disabled or greater. Applicants must be physically present in the State of Alaska to apply.

If at any time a DV license holder is no longer a resident of the State of Alaska, their DV license is immediately void.

Apply online . You also need to provide your letter of disability certification by email to , Fax 907-465-2440, or mail to Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Licensing Section, P.O. Box 115525, Juneau, Alaska, 99811-5525.

Learn more

--Non-Resident Military License: Non-residents of the military service or US Coast Guard on active duty and permanently stationed in Alaska have the privilege of fishing and hunting at discounted rates.

  • U.S. military and U.S. Coast Guard, and their dependents, on active duty and permanently stationed in Alaska less than 12 months can purchase a special military license at the same price as resident rates.

Please note: Non-residents must be accompanied by an Alaskan Licensed Guide or a relative within the second degree of kindred when hunting brown/grizzly bear or Dall sheep. Also, they are required to obtain big game locking tags for brown/grizzly bear and muskox at reduced rates. Sheep and goat tags are free of charge.

  • U.S. military and Coast Guard, and their dependents, on active duty and permanently stationed in Alaska greater than 12 months can purchase a resident license. They do not need to give up their residency privileges in another state. (No guides are required)

Please see the Department of Fish and Game’s residency definition to determine eligibility. This privilege provided under AS 16.05.340(d).

Learn more

Disabled Veteran's State Camping Pass: An eligible Disabled Alaskan Veterans (DAV) has the right to receive one Alaska State Park Camping Pass free of charge. The DAV Camping Pass, which is valid in all developed Alaska State Park campgrounds, is good for two years.
Eligibility: To receive a free DAV camping pass, an eligible disabled Veteran must present proof of a service connected disability and Alaska residency at either the Anchorage or Fairbanks Department of Natural Resources Public Information Centers. Proof of residency can be in the form of an Alaskan Driver's License, Alaska Sport Fishing License, Alaska Voter's Registration Card, or other documentation suitable to the department that proves Alaska residency. Evidence of service connected disability can be provided by presenting either:

  • A Veteran's Administration Patient Data Card (red, white, and blue) imprinted with "service connected disability" under the photo identification, or

  • A current year letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs, which states the person has a service-connected disability and is signed by the Veteran Service Officer AND a photo ID.

Learn more

Alaska Marine Highway Pass: A reduced fare pass is available for travel on Alaska Marine Highway System vessels for U.S. Veterans having a service-connected Veteran's disability. This pass entitles the disabled passenger and an attendant (if required by a physician) to travel at 50% off the regular passenger fare, between Alaska ports only, on all AMHS vessels, year-round. For more information, visit the Alaska Marine Highway System website.
Eligibility: Veterans who have a service-connected disability.

Learn more

Alaska Railroad Discount: The Alaska Railroad offers a 20% discount to Veterans, active duty and dependents. ID showing proof of status must be shown at boarding.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD): Offered to State of Alaska residents. The amount of the 2017 dividend is $1,100 per person.
Eligibility: A resident of the State of Alaska for the entire calendar year preceding the date you apply for the dividend and intend to remain an Alaska resident indefinitely at the time you apply.

Learn more

Recording Veterans Report of Separation Form: A Veteran may record, without fee, the original or a certified copy of his or her Armed Forces Report of Separation (DD-214 Form, DD-Form 215, NGB Form 22 or DA Form 1569) at any State Recorder's office of the Department of Natural Resources .
Eligibility: Military Veteran

Learn more

Obtaining copies of Veterans Report of Separation Form and other personnel records: The State of Alaska Veterans Affairs Office has copies of DD Forms 214 from 1985 to present and will maintain the record for 50 years from receipt. If your state can not find the record the National Personnel Records Center will have a complete copy of your service record.

Learn more

Obtaining replacement Awards, Decorations, and Medals : You can request copies of lost awards, decorations, and medals through the National Personnel Records Center . A Standard Form 180 will need to be filled out by the Veteran or next of kin.

Learn more

Obtaining Copies of Death Certificates: The Alaska Health Analytics & Vital Records will issue up to four copies of a Veterans death certificate free of charge. The death certificates are only available to qualified individuals who include; a representative of the Veterans estate, a trustee of a revocable trust of which the Veteran was the settler, or a person who needs a copy of the death certificate for the purpose of satisfying an eligibility requirement for a benefit relating to the death of the Veteran.

Learn more

Veterans Land Discount/Purchase Preference: The Veterans Land Discount program allows certain Veterans up to a 25% discount on the purchase price of state residential/recreational land. The discount may be used only once during the Veteran's lifetime and may not be used in conjunction with the Veterans preference. Under the Veterans Land Sale Preference, before offering to the general public any unoccupied residential land by auction, a Veteran has the exclusive opportunity to purchase the land at a restricted sale at fair appraised market value. Parcels that are offered under this preference must be five acres or less, classified as settlement land and zoned for residential use only.
Eligibility: To be eligible, an individual must submit proof, acceptable to the department that the purchaser:

  • Is 18 years of age or older at the date of sale

  • Has been a resident of the State of Alaska for a period of not less than one year immediately preceding the date of sale

  • And has:

    • Been in the Alaska Territorial Guard for at least 90 day, unless service was shortened by a service connected disability, and has received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable terms, or

    • Served on active duty in the U.S. Armed forces for at least 90 days unless tenure was shortened due to a service connected disability or due to receiving an early separation after a tour of duty overseas, and has received an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable terms

Department of Natural Resources Veteran's Programs Fact Sheet

Learn more

Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) Mortgage Program : The Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) administers the Veterans Mortgage Program which offers financing for qualified Veterans at lower interest rates. Loans are generally processed rapidly, require little or no down payment, and often include lower interest. AHFC Loan Programs and Lenders
Eligibility : Effective May 30, 2006, a Veteran must apply to AHFC within 25 years of his/her date of discharge from "active duty service." (Active duty service is full-time duty, not including training) Active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces, U.S. Armed Forces Reserves, Public Health Service, NOAA, or service as a cadet with the U.S. Military, Air Force, Coast Guard or Naval Academy may meet requirements.

Active duty personnel must have completed their initial military obligation. If retired, discharged or released from active duty, separation must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.

Learn more

Interest Rate Preference : AHFC also offers a Veterans Interest Rate Preference , in which a Veteran may receive a one percent lower interest rate on the first $50,000 of a bank loan when purchasing a new home. Ask the bank handling the financing to implement this program for you. AHFC grants a preference to Veterans for the rent or sale of a portion of its low cost housing units.

Learn more

Operation Recognition - High School Diplomas for World War II Veterans: Operation Recognition, a nation-wide effort, recognizes that many World War II Veterans went off to war and never returned to high school to receive a diploma. In Alaska, the Department of Education and Early Development may award diplomas to WWII Veterans living in Alaska. A Family member may apply on behalf of the Veteran. You will need to submit a copy of your discharge papers or an affidavit of service by fax or mail with your application. Application

Learn more

Alaska Veterans Memorial Museum: The Alaska Veterans Memorial Museum in Anchorage focuses on honoring our nation's Veterans for the sacrifices they made to defend America's freedom, "They Shall Not Be Forgotten ".

Learn more

Alaska Veterans & Pioneers Homes: The Alaska Veterans and Pioneers Home in Palmer strives to assist older Alaskans to have the highest quality of life by providing assisted living in a safe home setting which promotes independence, positive relationships, meaningful activities and physical, emotional and spiritual growth. Seventy-five percent of the 79 beds in the home are designated for Veterans. Qualifying Veterans are eligible for a per diem from the VA to help offset costs of their care. The home may provide the following services, depending on health status and need:

  • Private or semi-private rooms

  • Opportunities for recreation

  • Meals & housekeeping services

  • Emergency assistance

  • Physical activities

  • Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)

  • Nursing assessment and intermittent health services depending upon level of care

  • Payment assistance for those who qualify

  • Pharmacy services

Eligibility: Honorably separated Veterans, 65 or older who require assisted living care are eligible for admission. Veteran must have resided in Alaska for 1 year or more prior to application. Admission forms.

Learn more

Governor's Advocacy Award : The Governor of Alaska's Veterans Advocacy Award recipient(s) are announced annually on Veterans Day. Any individual or organization may nominate a person. Nominees must be an Alaskan resident, but need not be a Veteran, and must have engaged in unpaid, voluntary Veteran's activities within the State. The nominee should have demonstrated one or more of the following to Veterans, Veterans' issues, or Veterans' organizations:

  • A significant service to Veterans and their Families

  • An extraordinary personal concern, compassion, and commitment

  • Veterans organization activity, positions held, and lengthy service

  • Formation or participation in a new, innovative or creative volunteer program, event, or project

Nominations must include:

  • Nominee : Name, Occupation, Address, and Phone Number on the top of the narrative summary.

  • Nominator: Name, Address, Telephone Number, Email, Organization, and Signature on the bottom of the narrative.

  • Narrative : Please attach a brief (no more than two-page double spaced) narrative summary of your nominee's efforts and accomplishments for Veterans.

Submit your Nominations to:
Office of Veterans Affairs
4600 Debarr Rd, Suite 180
Anchorage, AK 99508

All nominations must be received each year by August 1st to be considered.

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations and Veterans Affairs Facilities in Alaska

Please see the Alaska Resource Locator for additional information

Active Duty

U.S Army Alaska - USARAK

Fort Greely

Fort Wainwright

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson

Air Force

Eielson AFB

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson

National Guard

Alaska Army National Guard

Alaska Air National Guard

176th Wing

168th Wing

United States Army Reserve (USAR)

63rd Readiness Division

Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Alaska

Veterans Health Administration
VA Health Care System

Anchorage: Alaska VA Healthcare System , 1201 North Muldoon Rd, 907-257-4700 / 888-353-7574

Outpatient Clinic
Juneau: Juneau VA Outreach Clinic , 709 West 9th St, Suite 150, 907-796-4300 / Fax: 907-796-4301

Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Fort Wainwright: Fairbanks VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic , Bldg 4076, Neeley Rd, Rm 1J-101, 907-361-6370 / Fax: 907-361-6372
Kenai: Kenai VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 11312 Kenai Spur Highway, Suite 39, 907-395-4100 or 877-797-8924 / Fax: 907-283-4236
Wasilla: Mat-Su VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic , 865 N. Seward Meridian Parkway, Suite 105, 907-631-3100 or 800-323-8648 / Fax: 907-631-3101

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Anchorage: Anchorage Vet Center , 4400 Business Park Blvd, Suite B-34, 907-563-6966 / Fax: 907-561-7183
Fairbanks: Fairbanks Vet Center , 540 4th Ave, Suite 100, 907-456-4238 / Fax: 907-456-0475
Soldotna: Kenai Vet Center Outstation , 43299 Kalifornsky Beach Rd, Suite 4, 907-260-7640 / Fax: 907-260-7642
Wasilla: Wasilla Vet Center , 851 E. West Point Dr, Suite 102, 907-376-4318 / Fax: 907-373-1883

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Anchorage: Anchorage Regional Benefit Office , 1201 North Muldoon Rd, 800-827-1000

Intake Site
Anchorage: Eielson Air Force Base
Anchorage: Elmendorf Air Force Base
Anchorage: Fort Richardson
Anchorage: Fort Wainwright
Anchorage: Ketchika Coast Guard
Anchorage: Kodiak Coast Guard
Anchorage: Sitka Coast Guard

Note: The Intake sites are itinerant and are only open once per month. Please call 800-827-1000 for presence at facility and hours of operation.

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Fort Richardson: Fort Richardson National Cemetery , Bldg 58-512 Davis Hwy, 907-384-7075 / Fax: 907-384-7111
Sitka: Sitka National Cemetery , 803 Sawmill Creek Rd, 907-384-7075 / Fax: 907-384-7111

Learn more

Alaska Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
4600 DeBarr Rd, Suite 180
Anchorage AK 99508
Phone: 907-334-0874 / 888-248-3682
Fax: 907-334-0869

Learn more

State Transition Assistance Advisor: Mirta Adams
Phone: 907-428-6208 / 854-2151

Learn more

Back to top


Back to top

Document Review Date: 28 February 2018