Benefit Fact Sheet
The Exchange has an enduring mission to provide quality merchandise and services to its customers at competitively low prices and to generate earnings that provide a dividend to support Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) programs.
Retired Service members and their I.D. card-holding Family members are eligible to purchase merchandise and services from the Exchange. On January 1, 2020, in-store privileges expanded to all Veterans with service-connected disabilities, Veterans who are Purple Heart recipients, Veterans who are former prisoners of war and primary Family caregivers for Veterans who are enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
In October 2021, Department of Defense and Coast Guard civilians and retirees were granted in-store and online shopping privileges.
Additionally, all honorably discharged Veterans can shop the Exchange tax-free online for life. Veterans can verify their eligibility at https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans.
MISSION & STRUCTURE
The Exchange’s enduring mission is to make the lives of Soldiers and Airmen better through the goods and services it offers. The Exchange goes where Soldiers, Airmen and their Families go to improve their quality of life through retail goods and services. Exchange earnings provide dividends to support morale, welfare and recreation programs. The Exchange is part of the Department of Defense and is directed by a Board of Directors, responsible to the Secretaries of the Army and Air Force through the Chiefs of Staff. The Exchange celebrated 127 years of service in 2022
Be the preferred retail and services provider for the military Family through extraordinary customer experience and value pricing.
MILITARY & FAMILY SUPPORT
When military members deploy to remote locations around the world, the Exchange is with them, offering products and services to bring troops a taste of home. Since 9/11, the Exchange has deployed more than 4,800 associates. Other Exchange support last year included outfitting 1.1 million troops with combat uniforms and serving 2.6 million school lunches to their Children and operating seven plants providing baked goods, bottled water and ice to overseas bases. Any American can support military members worldwide by sending gift cards through the Exchange by logging on to shopmyexchange.com or calling 800-527-2345.
Online at shopmyexchange.com, the Exchange offers products in every category and the same national brand merchandise found in brick-and-mortar stores. The Exchange's online assortment is updated continually, offering convenience for those who do not live near a military installation. Online shoppers pay no sales tax and enjoy free delivery when using a Military Star Card or when their online purchases total $49 or more.
FAMILY SERVING FAMILY
The Exchange is a major source of employment for military Families. Approximately 85% of the Exchange's 35,000 associates have a direct connection to the military. Nearly 12% of the workforce is made up of Veterans and 22% of associates are military Spouses. In 2021, the Exchange was named a top Military Friendly Employer and a top Military Spouse Friendly Employer by Viqtory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse magazine. The Exchange was also named a Best for Vets employer in 2021 by Military Times.
SALES AND DIVIDENDS
In the last 10 years, the Exchange benefit has provided $3.5 billion in earnings for critical military Quality-of-Life programs such as outfitting more than 712,000 Warfighters at cost annually, providing school meal support for Department of Defense Education Activity facilities overseas and delivering needed services to locations impacted by natural disasters.
The Exchange funds 98% of its operating budget from the sale of goods and services. The remaining 2% of Exchange funding comes from Appropriated Funds; the vast majority of this support is devoted to transporting goods overseas to make American goods available to those serving abroad .
The Exchange is responsible for more than 4,000 facilities worldwide 32 countries, 50 states and four U.S. territories. The Exchange operates 121 main stores, 167 Military Clothing facilities, more than 600 convenience stores (troop stores, Express locations, Class Six outlets) and 75 theaters. In addition, the Exchange has more than 1,700 quick-serve restaurants, such as Taco Bell, Burger King and Starbucks. Concession operations overseen by the Exchange add more than 3,600 more activities. The Exchange also operates contingency locations in Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Kosovo.
For more information, please visit the Exchange Online Store at: