Relocation Assistance

Army National Guard: Active Duty Under Title 10 USC or Title 32 USC (Full-Time National Guard Duty)

Benefit Fact Sheet

Share on Facebook Share on X Share on LinkedIn

Under USC 10 §1056, help is available for Military members and, where applicable, their Families to manage service-required relocation by providing standardized information and services through various coordinated relocation assistance programs.


Army National Guard Soldiers on federal active duty who relocate are eligible to access Army Community Service (ACS) Center relocation services available on the particular Army.  Additionally, Soldiers preparing to retire are entitled to receive certain permanent change of station (PCS) allowances to help manage the cost of the move.

Benefit Highlights

The Relocation Assistance Program is a congressionally mandated program designed to ease the personal and Family stress that military Families Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) logo experience with a permanent change of station by providing assistance, counseling, education, and training throughout all phases of the relocation process.

Each Army installation is equipped with an ACS Center. The ACS Center provides a support staff that is trained in the techniques and delivery of professional relocation assistance. Each relocation readiness program offers the following services to assist Soldiers and their Family members moving to or from the particular Army installation:

  • Destination area information and preparation prior to relocation, emphasizing moving costs, housing costs and availability, childcare, Spouse employment opportunities, cultural adaptation and community orientation

  • Counseling for financial management, home buying and selling, renting, stress management, property management, and shipment and storage of household goods, motor vehicles, and pets

  • Settling-in services, focusing on available government living quarters, private housing, childcare, Spouse employment assistance information, cultural adaptation, and community orientation

  • Home finding services, with emphasis on services for locating adequate, affordable temporary and permanent housing.

Information for each individual relocation program is managed through a central, computerized information system, MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, a Department of Defense (DoD) program that provides Soldiers and Family members with extensive updated information about military installations worldwide prior to departure from their current station. MilitaryINSTALLATIONS information includes employment, housing, childcare, medical facilities, education, and support services. The MilitaryINSTALLATIONS can be accessed at ( This web-based program also offers the popular Plan-My-Move fill-in Calendars with extensive reminders and guidance for each step of the moving cycle. The newest service is Electronic Sponsorship. The MilLife Learning works in coordination with all the military service Family Centers, providing specific information for each service to assist transferring individuals/Families obtain sponsorship, as well as online training for those individuals willing to serve as a sponsor.

To help manage the cost of the move, the core PCS reimbursement programs include:

PCS reimbursement programs




Dislocation Allowance (DLA)


DLA is intended as partial reimbursement for miscellaneous moving expenses. DLA is not authorized for the first PCS from home unless dependents move; the last PCS (separation or retirement); member without dependents assigned to government quarters; or transfer to nearby PDS (unless move of household goods preauthorized).

Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)


MIHA reimburses a member for overseas costs associated with living in privately owned or privately leased quarters. MIHA/Miscellaneous focuses on one-time rent related expenses and the initial cost of making a home habitable. MIHA/Security focuses on one-time modification of homes for security protection. MIHA/Rent is a dollar-for dollar reimbursement made for up front rent relate expenses such as rental agent fees. Rates vary by currency rates and location.

Per Diem Allowance


Per diem allowance is designed to partially reimburse the Soldiers for lodging and meal expenses en-route to the new duty station. For travel by POC (auto), per diem for the member is the flat Standard CONUS rate. Per diem for dependents is ¾ the member's applicable rate for each dependent age 12 or older, and ½ the member's rate for each dependent under age 12. The military uses 400 miles per day as the standard one-day travel distance. In computing per diem days, take the Official Government Mileage between duty stations and divide by 400.

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)


MALT is the mileage reimbursement paid when a member and/or the member's Family drive to their new duty station, based on the Official Military Table of Distances. MALT rates may be paid for up to 2 vehicles without special approval and may be advanced 80% prior to move (and paid by travel voucher). If orders do not deem POC travel most advantageous, per diem will generally be paid for air travel time with excess time considered as leave, and MALT and per diem will be limited to the cost, to the government, of the use of an airline ticket.

Household Goods (HHG) Transportation

Movement and Storage of Household Goods (HHG)


Authorized transport weight varies by grade and whether or not there are Family members.

Unloading boxes off a truck

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)


TLA is helps cover the cost of temporary housing and meals incurred upon arrival at or immediately before leaving an OCONUS location. TLA is calculated according to the  number of Family members, actual lodging cost, availability of cooking facilities, and the local per diem rate.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

CONUS only

TLE partly reimburses relocating members for the cost of meals and lodging incurred when temporary housing is needed - Please check latest JTR for current information.

Advance Basic Pay


Advance Basic Pay is similar to an interest-free loan for a PCS with military salary as collateral. Repayment is normally made in 12 equal installments beginning the month after it is drawn.

Defense Personal Property Program:

Plan Your Move

Schedule Your Move Use Defense Personal Property System (DPS) to schedule your move with a transportation company, track the status and location of your shipment, and file claims.

  • Sign In to DPS to schedule your move online

  • If you are doing a joint move (a.k.a., a dual military move with your active duty spouse)please visit your local personal property office to get help scheduling your move

  • Visit PCSmyPOV to schedule an appointment at your assigned Vehicle Processing Center.

Get Ready for Moving Day 

Settling In

As you are unpacking you might notice that some items got lost or broken in transit. Follow this process to file a claim to receive compensation for your damaged items:

  • Give Transportation Service Provider (TSP) written notice of loss/damage within 180 days from delivery date

    • Review and sign the Notification for Loss and Damage at Delivery form

    • Submit the Notification of Loss and Damage After Delivery form in DPS

  • File a claim within nine months from the delivery date

    • File an itemized clam in DPS for every item that was lost or damaged during the moving process

  • Work with TSP to assess your claim

  • Finalize the settlement

TSP should provide an itemized listing of their offer for each or your items.  You many respond by accepting or rejecting the offer for each individualized.

Additional Information

For more information on the Relocation Readiness Program, please visit:

In addition, contact information for Relocation Assistance offices on Army installations may be located on the Military Resource Locator Library on MyArmyBenefits:

Defense Travel Management: 

Defense Personal Property Program:

Army Regulation 608-1, Army Community Service: 

Army Housing Online User Services:

Document Review Date: 16 August 2023