Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR)
Benefit Fact Sheet
The Army Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) program is a quality-of-life program that directly supports readiness by providing a variety of community, Soldier, and Family support activities and services. MWR offers worldwide support through a comprehensive network of programs and services at each installation-from Family, Child and youth programs to recreation, sports, entertainment, travel and leisure activities. The mission of MWR is to serve the needs, interests, and responsibilities of all people in the Army community-Soldiers, their Families, civilian employees, military retirees, and other eligible participants-for as long as they are associated with the Army, no matter where they are located.
Retired Army Reserve Soldiers and authorized Family members are eligible to utilize MWR facilities and programs.
The range of MWR activities offered at Army installations is based on the needs of authorized patrons who work and reside there. The U.S. Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM, G-9, Family and MWR) provides oversight for Army MWR operations worldwide. Some of the MWR programs available on Army installations may include:
1. Armed Forces Recreation Centers (AFRCs) full-service resort hotels are Joint Service Facilities that provide quality, wholesome, affordable, Family-oriented vacation recreation opportunities to Service members, their Families, and other authorized patrons (including official travelers)
Dragon Hill Lodge, Korea
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, Germany
Hale Koa Hotel, Hawaii
Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort, Florida
2. Child, Youth, and School Services (CYS) provide affordable childcare programs for Army Families. Costs are typically based on rank and pay grade. Programs range from daycare facilities to sports and fitness programs.
3. Recreation and Leisure. Army Community Recreation provides mission sustaining fitness, recreation and library programs such as community center; aquatics activities; cardiovascular, strength and flexibility activities; competitive sports; and information, reference and research services. Community support programs include outdoor recreation programs and equipment, travel and registration information, Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers (BOSS), arts and crafts, automotive crafts, performing arts, entertainment, recreational swimming, and recreation.
Army MWR Leisure Travel Offices (Travel Offices - The Leisure Travel Office (LTO) Army MWR) on Army installations offer discounted attraction tickets and assistance with planning and booking travel reservations. The Department of Defense also offers a leisure travel website operated through a contract with Priceline which features discounted rates on airfares, hotels, rental cars, cruises and event tickets for eligible MWR patrons. Visit https://www.americanforcestravel.com to directly book a reservation. A portion of proceeds from reservations booked on the website support MWR programs.
4. Army Libraries. Army MWR Libraries support a worldwide network of Soldiers their Families, Veterans and DoD Civilians. General Libraries have something for everyone - from story hours to book discussion groups, from internet access to word processing, from military training to investment tools, from the latest novel to "how to" books and other reference books to online resources available 24/7. Librarians are available to assist you to find quick answers or to point you to the best source. Find out more about how to access the services and resources at your installation's MWR library.
5. Army Lodging (On Post). Army Lodging provides quality accommodations and hospitality services on select posts. With over 1,800 guest rooms at 18 locations worldwide, Army Lodging facilities are available to eligible patrons and comparable to limited-service commercial hotels. Get started with your on-post Army Lodging reservation by visiting the DoD Army Lodging site or call 1-800-GO-ARMY1 (1-800-462-7691).
Dining: At most installations, Army MWR offers dining options including places to grab a burger, pick up a pizza, get out of the house for a casual Family meal, have a beer and shoot some pool, or munch nachos while watching a favorite major league team.
Army Weddings: Army MWR manages hundreds of great venues around the world for Families looking to host weddings, receptions, and other special events. Army MWR also offers world-class catering, event planners and staff who understand the military lifestyle.
Army MWR manages venues like:
Shades of Green on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort in Orlando, Florida
Hale Koa Hotel in beautiful Hawaii
7. Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers (BOSS) Program. The BOSS program focuses on the needs of the Army active duty single Soldier although all MWR patrons are welcome to participate. The program provides a place for Soldiers to address quality of life issues, participate in recreation and leisure activities, and volunteer with community service projects and events.
For more information, please visit the official MWR website maintained by U.S. Army Installation Management Command (IMCOM, G-9, Family and MWR):
For additional information on locations of MWR facilities and programs at local Army Installations, check the Resource Locator library on the MyArmyBenefits website:
Armed Forces Recreation Centers:
Child, Youth, and School Services:
Leisure Travel Offices:
Dining and Catering:
Sports and Fitness:
Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers (BOSS):