Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
Benefit Fact Sheet
The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive and coordinated community support, housing, educational, medical, and personnel services to Families with special needs. Soldiers on active duty enroll in the program when they have a Family member with a physical, emotional, developmental, or intellectual disorder requiring specialized services so their needs can be considered in the military personnel assignment process. The overall goal of EFMP is to help Families accompany the Service member to the right duty locations, not to exclude them.
EFMP has made enhancements to improve the Family experience through greater understanding of the role of each component within EFMP while expanding EFMP Family Support resources include:
- EFMP & Me Tool: A new online tool to provide Families direct access to information and resources in each of the three components.
- Offers 24/7 access, at home or on the go, through a digital application
- Provides Family members with a tailored, streamlined and supportive digital experience to locate guidance and information when and where needed
- Gives service providers and military leaders an additional information source to use and to recommend to Families
- Improved Communication With Families: EFMP Family Support focuses on sharing information with Families to better support them and help them improve their self-advocacy skills.
- EFMP Family Support Feedback Tool: Provides a mechanism for families to give feedback about their recent experience with installation EFMP Family Support
- New brand and improved messaging — Communicates clearly and effectively that EFMP is evolving to better meet the needs of service providers and Families. Service providers and leaders can get out the message to Families with the helpful tools and resources in the EFMP brand toolkit
- EFMP/SPECIAL NEEDS provides additional tools and information for service providers and leaders who support military Families with special needs.
For more information on the recent enhancements, please visit: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/special-needs/efmp/new-efmp-tools-and-resources/
Enterprise Exceptional Family Member Program (E-EFMP)
There is a new Enterprise Exceptional Family Member Program (E-EFMP) system to make it easier and more convenient for Service members and their Families to navigate the wide and sometimes complex array of resources, benefits, and care available.
Now, through E-EFMP, Soldiers can complete EFMP enrollment, reenrollment, and overseas Family Member Travel Screening (FMTS) if Soldier and family member are co-located. Soldiers and Families that are geographically separated need to contact their nearest Military Treatment Facility to complete Family Member Travel Screening (FMTS).
In April 2023, the system received many new enhancements, including:
- EFMP disenrollment capability
- Overseas FMTS packets for geographically separated Families (currently these are processed in two systems)
- Multiple medical providers will have the ability to complete DDFM 2792 (Family Member Medical Summary) for multiple diagnoses
- Families will have access to a digitized DDFM 2792- 1 (Exceptional Family Member Special Education/Early Intervention Summary)
- A senior leader dashboard to allow Command and Garrison commanders to view EFMP trends
For more information, please visit: https://www.army.mil/article/264976/new_e_efmp_site_to_help_families_with_military_moves
Drilling Army National Guard Soldiers are not eligible for the Exceptional Family Member Program.
Army MWR Exceptional Family Member Program Overview:
Military One Source Exceptional Family Member Program Overview:
DoD EFMP Quick reference Guide:
Army Regulation (AR) 608-75: Exceptional Family Member Program
Exceptional Family Member Program overview - Army Medical Department:
For the location of the Exceptional Family Member Program office on local Army Installations, check the Military Resource Locator library on MyArmyBenefits: