Army Credentialing Opportunities on-Line (COOL)
Benefit Fact Sheet
Army Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL) helps Army Service members find information on certifications and licenses related to their military occupation and civilian careers.
FY23 Credentialing Assistance Requests
The Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program launched the upgraded ArmyIgnitED portal on October 25, 2022. Soldiers will be able to request CA funding for Fiscal Year (FY) 2023. The web address is https://www.armyignited.army.mil/.
Army National Guard Soldiers on state active duty are eligible for Credentialing Assistance (CA) and exempt from the Basic Combat Training (BCT) qualification. Reserve Component Soldiers who are not graduates of BCT must be issued a CAC by their units in order to access their benefits in ArmyIgnitED.
Army COOL contains a variety of service-specific information about certifications and licenses related to military occupations. Army COOL can be used to:
Get background information about civilian licensure and certification in general and specific information on individual credentials, including eligibility and testing requirements and resources to prepare for an exam.
Identify licenses and certifications relevant to individual military occupations.
Learn how to fill gaps between military training and experience and civilian credentialing requirements.
Learn about resources available to Service members that can help them gain civilian job credentials.
COOL plays a role in a four-step credentialing process, but some steps require you to reach out to the credentialing agency or exam vendor. The four basic steps are shown below:
Step 1: Find & Select Related Credentials
Use the 'Explore Military Occupations' menu to see how your military training and experience matches up with civilian credential requirements. Learn about selected credential requirements and contact the credentialing agency to validate that you meet their eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Complete a CA Request
Once you have selected a credential, complete a CA request in ArmyIgnitED. You can work on any credential listed in Army COOL, concurrently or sequentially up to your TA/CA fiscal year limit of $4000.
You must submit a separate CA request for each course and/or exam required for a credential at least 30 business days prior to the course or exam start date. The 30 business days begin when the Education Center or Office submits the request to the Army Credentialing and Continuing Education Services for Soldiers (ACCESS), Army University (ArmyU).
1. Log into ArmyIgnitED. ArmyIgnitED is using login.gov to allow you to sign in to your account safely and securely. Create or log into your account and acknowledge the Soldier Statement of Understanding (SOU).
2. Select the “MOS/ASI” option if you wish to pursue a credential aligned with your MOS/AOC/ASI, or the “Other” option if you wish to pursue a credential NOT aligned to your MOS/AOC/ASI.
3. Select the credential you wish to pursue and submit.
4. Once you have selected a credential, request CA funding.
5. Select a vendor from the list that appears for your credential.
6. Select the course/exam. Submit.
7. Your CA request will route to ACCESS ArmyU who will review your request. You will be contacted if there are any issues or questions with your request. You will be notified via email once your CA request is approved. Most requests are processed no later than three days prior to your start date, so if you have not received a response prior to that, please submit a ServiceNow (SNOW) ticket. All books/materials that are approved for funding will be sent directly to you.
NOTE: You do not pay anything out of pocket. The Army does NOT reimburse any credentialing related expenses.
Step 3: Complete Training or Exam
Once ACCESS, ArmyU approves the CA request for training, exam, recertification and/or materials/books for recertification, you will be enrolled in the approved course and will receive required course materials (if applicable). If requesting an exam, ACCESS, ArmyU will provide you instructions to schedule the exam (DFAS).
Step 4: Report Your Results
The vendor is required to upload the completion certificate, grade report, transcript, or other official memorandum within ten business days upon completion to your ArmyIgnitED account.
NOTE: If proof is not uploaded into your account, recoupment for CA costs requested on the CA request will be initiated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
For detailed instructions on completing a CA request using ArmyIgnitED, download the Soldier CA Process Guide: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/credential_steps/index.html?processguide
Army COOL Website:
DoD COOL Website:
Army COOL Fact Sheet:
Army Regulation 621-5:
Army's Credentialing Assistance Policy: