Army Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL)
Benefit Fact Sheet
Army Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL) helps Army Service members find information on certifications and licenses related to their military occupation and civilian careers.
New Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program Virtual Counseling Cell
The CA virtual counseling cell is for:
- Soldiers who need counseling assistance for the use of Army CA funding can now request assistance from the Army CA Virtual Counseling cell. This cell is available to CONUS and OCONUS Soldiers and will assist Soldiers in their pursuit of Credentialing Assistance funding. Counseling sessions are available on Microsoft Teams.
- Soldiers who are unsure of what to pursue, or what they may be eligible for can benefit from this counseling.
- Soldiers needing assistance with submitting their CA Requests can also use this counseling.
How to request a CA virtual counseling session:
To request counselor assistance please go to: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/costs_and_funding/index.html?credentialingassistance and click on the “CONTACT AN ARMY CA COUNSELOR” yellow button and complete the request.
NOTE: The CA Virtual Counseling Cell cannot assist with Army Tuition Assistance (TA); please see the location Education Center for TA related questions or assistance.
Army National Guard Soldiers on active duty are eligible for Credentialing Assistance (CA) and exempt from the Basic Combat Training (BCT) qualification. Reserve Component Soldiers who are not graduates of BCT must be issued a CAC by their units in order to access their benefits in ArmyIgnitED.
Army COOL contains a variety of service-specific information about certifications and licenses related to military occupations. Army COOL can be used to:
Get background information about civilian licensure and certification in general and specific information on individual credentials, including eligibility and testing requirements and resources to prepare for an exam.
Identify licenses and certifications relevant to individual military occupations.
Learn how to fill gaps between military training and experience and civilian credentialing requirements.
Learn about resources available to Service members that can help them gain civilian job credentials.
FY24 Credentialing Assistance Requests
Soldiers can submit CA requests through ArmyIgnitED beginning September 7, 2023, for courses or exams that start on or after October 21, 2023 (not to exceed 90 days from submission). However, FY24 requests are subject to the availability of funds.
For additional questions, please contact an Army CA Counselor: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/costs_and_funding/index.html?credentialingassistance
COOL plays a role in a four-step credentialing process, but some steps require you to reach out to the credentialing agency or exam vendor. The four basic steps are shown below:
Step 1: Find & Select Related Credentials
Use the 'Explore Military Occupations' menu to see how your military training and experience matches up with civilian credential requirements. Learn about selected credential requirements and contact the credentialing agency to validate that you meet their eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Complete a CA Request
Once you have selected a credential, complete a CA request in ArmyIgnitED. You can work on any credential listed in Army COOL, concurrently or sequentially up to your TA/CA fiscal year limit of $4000.
You must submit a separate CA request for each course and/or exam required for a credential at least 30 business days prior to the course or exam start date. The 30 business days begin when the Education Center or Office submits the request to the Army Credentialing and Continuing Education Services for Soldiers (ACCESS), Army University (ArmyU).
- Log into ArmyIgnitED. Click on "Education Programs" dropdown menu and click "Credentialing Assistance" from the left side menu, then "Explore Credentials" or "Education Goals" under the Tuition Assistance Request tab.
- Click on "Create New Goal" then select either Credentialing Assistance – MOS Related or Credentialing Assistance – Non MOS Related.
- Select the credential by typing in a keyword or search the options provided, click "Next".
- Upload the custom quote provided by the vendor, then click "Submit Goal". Once confirmed it will be routed to the ACAPO office for review and concurrence.
- Once concurrence from ACAPO on the Goal, click "Apply For Funding".
- Review the User Agreement.
- Proceed with selecting your vendor, start and end date, training, exam, and/or books/materials and submit.
- Your CA request will route to ACAPO who will review your request. You will be contacted if there are any issues or questions with your request. You will be notified via ArmyIgnitED messaging once your CA request is approved. Most requests are processed no later than three days prior to your start date, so if you have not received a response prior to that, please submit a ArmyIgnitED Helpdesk ticket. All books/materials that are approved for funding will be sent directly to you.
NOTE: You do not pay anything out of pocket. The Army does NOT reimburse any credentialing related expenses.
Step 3: Complete Training or Exam
Once the CA Central Billing Office (CBO) approves the CA request for training, exam, recertification and/or materials/books for recertification, you will be enrolled in the approved course and will receive required course materials (if applicable).
Vendors must upload the grades within 30 days of the end date. If the vendor does not receive the results of the exam, it is the Soldier's responsibility to upload the exam results into the ArmyIgnitED CA request.
NOTE: If the grade is not uploaded into your account, recoupment for CA costs requested on the CA request will be initiated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
Step 4: Report Your Results
The vendor must upload the grades within 30 days of the end date. If the vendor does not receive the results of the exam, it is the Soldier's responsibility to upload the exam results into the ArmyIgnitED CA request.
NOTE: If proof is not uploaded into your account, recoupment for CA costs requested on the CA request will be initiated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
For detailed instructions on completing a CA request using ArmyIgnitED, download the Soldier CA Process Guide: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/credential_steps/index.html?processguide
Army COOL Website:
DoD COOL Website:
Army COOL Fact Sheet:
Army Regulation 621-5:
Army's Credentialing Assistance Policy: