State / Territory Benefits - Wisconsin

State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation Benefits
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Benefits
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Miscellaneous Benefits
Resource Locator
VA Facilities


Summary: Wisconsin offers special benefits and services for its military Service members and Veterans in order to supplement and complement those provided to Veterans by the Federal government. These include benefits, programs, and services to assist Wisconsin Veterans in enhancing their education and employment, purchasing or remodeling a home in Wisconsin, traveling to Federal VA medical appointments, obtaining needed health care services not provided by Federal VA health care, overcoming barriers to employment, and obtaining needed subsistence assistance in emergency situations, assistance in discharge upgrades, obtaining medals that were not issued or lost, among many others.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

Veterans and Surviving Spouses Property Tax Credit: The Wisconsin Veterans & Surviving Spouses Property Tax Credit provides eligible Veterans and unremarried, surviving Spouses a refundable property tax credit for their primary, in-state residence. The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs verifies the Veteran's eligibility for the program. The credit is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue through the state income tax return..
Eligibility: The definitions of an eligible Veteran and an eligible unremarried surviving Spouse are expanded to include:

  • A Veteran who had been a Wisconsin resident for a consecutive 5-year period after entering active duty or was a Wisconsin resident when entering active duty.

  • The Veteran must have either an SCD rating of 100 percent under 38 USC 1114 or 1134 or a 100% disability rating based on individual unemployability. Individual unemployability means a condition under which a Veteran has an SCD rating of either 60% under 38 USC 1114 or 1134 or two or more SCD conditions where one condition has at least a 40% scheduler rating and the combined scheduler rating for all conditions is at least 70%, and has an administrative adjustment added to the SCD, due to individual unemployability, such that the VA rates the Veteran 100% disabled.

  • No age requirement.

Applicants who believe they may qualify should contact their local County Veterans Service Office (CVSO). A list of CVSOs and contact information can be found at

For program information, applications and instructions on how to apply, see brochure WDVA B0106. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on this credit are available from the Department of Revenue website.

Learn more

Wisconsin Individual Income Taxes - Military Pay: Regular pay received by Wisconsin residents serving in the military on active duty or on inactive Reserve duty or in the Wisconsin National Guard is not exempted from income tax.

Proof of filing a Wisconsin income form is frequently one of the components used in determining Wisconsin residency to establish general eligibility for Wisconsin state Veterans benefits, the Wisconsin GI Bill, the Wisconsin Veterans & Surviving Spouses Property Tax Credit, and Residency for Tuition at UW institutions.

Residents of another state who are stationed in Wisconsin are not subject to Wisconsin income tax on their military pay unless they change their state of residency to Wisconsin.

Learn more

Individual Income Taxes - Mobilized Reserve/Guard Pay Exemption: For taxable years beginning in 2004 and thereafter, military pay received by certain members of the Reserves and National Guard may also be exempt for Wisconsin tax purposes.
Eligibility: Military pay must have been received from the Federal government after being called into active Federal service or into special state service authorized by the Federal Department of Defense. The pay must have been for a period of time during which the Reserve or National Guard member was on active duty. This exemption does not apply to military pay that members of the Reserves or National Guard receive during their weekend and two-week annual training.

For additional information, see Wisconsin Department of Revenue Fact Sheet 1118, Income Tax Information for Active Military Personnel and/or Individual Income Tax - Military FAQs.

Learn more

Individual Income Taxes - Combat Pay Exemption: Military pay that is exempt from Federal taxation, such as combat pay or hazardous duty pay is also exempt from state taxation.

Learn more

Individual Income Taxes - Death Gratuity Exemption: The death gratuity paid to the surviving dependent in the event of a line of duty death of a military Service member is exempt from Wisconsin individual income taxes.

Learn more

Retirement Income Taxes: All retirement payments from the U.S. military employee retirement system and the Coast Guard are exempt.

 Learn more

Wisconsin Individual Income Taxes - Extension in Filing Deadline: Military Service members who are on military duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico on the April 15th tax return deadline are allowed a two-month extension for time to file their Federal return.

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from Federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from Federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

Learn more

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: Not subject to Federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Military SBP/ RCSBP/RSFPP: Payments you receive from the U.S. military retirement system (including payments from the Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan and the Survivor Benefit Plan) are not taxable for Wisconsin.

 Learn more  

Back to top


Education Benefits:

Wisconsin G.I. Bill Tuition Remission Program: The Wisconsin G.I. Bill provides a full waiver ("remission") of tuition for eligible Veterans and their dependents for up to 8 full-time semesters or 128 credits at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System institution. The tuition remission is a full 100% of tuition and fees. (In accordance with 2005 Wisconsin Act 468, signed into law by Governor Jim Doyle on Memorial Day 2006 and effective with the 2007-08 academic year.) See the UWS WisGIBill FAQs or the WTCS WisGIBill FAQs for frequently asked questions regarding the Wisconsin G.I. Bill and the University of Wisconsin System and the Wisconsin Technical College System.
The Veteran must have entered service as a Wisconsin resident and the benefit recipient must reside in Wisconsin. Character of service and active duty service requirements apply. For Veterans, there is no post-service time limitation (such as the Federal Montgomery G.I. Bill 10-year delimiting date) on the use of the benefit. The Veteran may attend full- or part-time. The benefit may be used for continuing education, or for study at the undergraduate or graduate level.

Expanded Eligibility for Veterans Under the Five Year Residency Requirement:
Beginning in the Fall Semester of 2013, Veterans who have established and maintained status as a Wisconsin resident for at least 5 consecutive years immediately preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which the student registers at an institution may qualify, even if they were not residents of Wisconsin at the time of entry into a qualified period of "Active Duty" under Title 10 orders. NOTE: This benefit does not extend to the Spouse or Children. In order to extend the benefit to the Spouse or Children the Veteran must have entered a qualifying period of Active Duty Service under Title 10 Orders as a Wisconsin Resident. Please see Requirements for Children and Spouses below for more information. Click here for more information.

 Learn more

Wisconsin G.I. Bill Tuition Remission Program for Dependents: A 100% remission is provided to the qualifying dependents of an eligible Veteran. For qualifying Spouses, the benefit must be used within 10 years of the date of death or the initial disability rating of 30% or greater. The Spouse, or un-remarried surviving Spouse, may attend full- or part-time. For qualifying Children, the benefit is available from ages 17 through 25. The Child may attend full- or part-time.
The benefit recipient must reside in Wisconsin. The qualifying Wisconsin Veteran must have been a Wisconsin resident at the time of entry onto active duty. Character of service and active duty service requirements apply. The qualifying Wisconsin Veteran must be

  • Currently rated by the Federal VA with a combined service-connected disability of 30% or greater;

  • Died in the line of duty while on active, Reserve, or Guard duty;

  • Died as the direct result of a service-connected disability, as determined by the Federal VA.

Wisconsin Statues §36.27(3n)

 Learn more

Veterans Education (VetEd) Reimbursement Grant: The Veterans Education (VetEd) grant program provides a reimbursement grant to Veterans based on a credit-bank system that is determined by length of active duty military service for the reimbursement of tuition and fees following successful course completion at an eligible University of Wisconsin, technical college, or approved private institution of higher learning. Individuals eligible for Wisconsin GI Bill benefits must apply for, and use those benefits in order to be eligible for VetEd reimbursement. VetEd reimbursement will be reduced to the extent that tuition and fees have already been paid by other grants, scholarships, and remissions provided for the payment of tuition and fees, including Federal VA Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill tuition benefits.
A Veteran who is a Wisconsin resident and has not yet been awarded a bachelor's degree.

Learn more

Academic Credit for Military Experience: Service members, reservists, and Veterans pursuing a college education may be able to obtain academic credit for military courses they have completed through the military. Prior to enrollment individuals should discuss possible credit with the Veterans' Coordinator at the college or university they plan to attend; credit received may reduce attendance time and cost.

Learn more

Wisconsin National Guard Tuition Grant Program: The Tuition Grant Program helps to pay for courses completed under both full and part-time study. Wisconsin National Guard Service members are eligible for a maximum of 8 semesters of full-time study. A minimum GPA of 2.0 in each term must be achieved to receive a National Guard Tuition Grant. The program pays a grant to Soldiers of up to 100% of the actual tuition charged by a qualifying school or the maximum resident undergraduate tuition charged by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, whichever is less. The grant cannot pay for any room & board, books, fees or continuing education credits (CEUs). The Grant may be used at approved WI schools, any WI technical college established under chapter 38, or schools approved under Minnesota-Wisconsin student reciprocity agreement. There is limited reciprocity with Iowa, Illinois and Michigan schools.
Eligibility: All National Guard Warrant Officers and enlisted members in good standing are eligible while attending a qualifying school for undergraduate studies. The program may be used at any school eligible for Federal Financial Aid. The application for the program must be received at State Headquarters within 90 days of the end of the semester or class. These benefits are available to our members after completion of basic training (boot camp) and technical school. If you have prior military service, you must complete any technical school requirements and have used all active duty Montgomery GI bill benefits you are entitled to prior to receiving National Guard educational benefits. This program is a non-contributory benefit, meaning no payment or reduction in pay is required from you to receive these benefits (upon receiving bachelor's degree eligibility terminates).
Wisconsin Statues 321.40(3-4)

Learn more

Job Retraining Grants: A Veteran who is unemployed or underemployed may be eligible for up to $3,000.00 per year, for a maximum of two years, if they have a financial need while being retrained for new employment. The amount of the grant is determined by the applicant's financial need as calculated by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA).
The Veteran must have been involuntarily laid off or discharged (not due to willful misconduct) within a period beginning one year before the date that the WDVA receives the application. The Veteran must have been employed for at least six consecutive months with the same employer or in the same or similar occupations. At least one day of that employment must have been within the period beginning one year before the date that the WDVA receives the application. An underemployed Veteran must have current annual income from employment that does not exceed Federal poverty guidelines. The Veteran must be currently enrolled in a technical education program or engaged in a structured on-the-job training program that will be completed within two years of the date that the application is received by the WDVA. In addition to all Wisconsin technical colleges, various private occupational and trade schools may qualify for the retraining grant program if they do not offer four-year degrees or four-year programs. The program must reasonably be expected to lead to employment. Retraining Grant Application

Learn more

High School Diplomas: Local School Boards in the state of Wisconsin, under the authority of Wisconsin Statutes section 120.13 (37), may award a high school diploma to Veterans who left high school before receiving a high school diploma to join the U.S. armed forces during a statutorily designated war period. The high school diploma may also be awarded to Veterans who received a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) after serving on active duty under honorable conditions. The high school diploma may be posthumously awarded if the deceased Veteran met all the conditions.
Eligibility: The high school diploma may be awarded if the Veteran meets all of the following requirements:

  1. Is at least 65 years old;

  2. Attended high school in the school district, or attended high school in Wisconsin and resides in the school district;

  3. Left high school before receiving a high school diploma to join the U.S. armed forces during a statutorily designated war period; and Served on active duty under honorable conditions in the U.S. armed forces (including the National Guard or Merchant Marine).

  4. The high school diploma may also be awarded to Veterans who received a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) after serving on active duty under honorable conditions, and meet the conditions of items 1-3 above.

  5. The high school diploma may be posthumously awarded if the deceased Veteran met the conditions of items 2-4 above.

For more information, please contact the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) directly at 1-800-441-4563 or visit the DPI website.​​​

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment. Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
Shelley Joan Weiss, Commissioner
3014 Happy Valley Rd, Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Phone: 608-698-2409

Learn more

Back to top


Employment Benefits:

State Employment Benefit: Permanent State employees receive 30 days military leave per year for military duty away from work, includes annual training. A permanent employee must be on military orders for at least 3 consecutive days (not required to be workdays) in order to claim military leave.
Army Reserve and National Guard (Air and Army) Service members.

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preference Information - Civil Service Preference (State): Veterans and the Spouses of disabled Veterans may qualify for preference in Wisconsin's civil service system:
10-Point Hiring Preference may be added to a Veteran's passing state civil service test score.
15-Point Hiring Preference may be added to a disabled Veteran's passing score whose service-connected disability is rated less than 30%.
20-Point Hiring Preference may be added to a disabled Veteran's passing score whose service-connected disability is rated 30% or more.
Promotional Exam Preference may be added to a disabled Veteran's passing score whose service-connected disability is 70% or more.
10-Point Hiring Preference may be added to the passing score of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran whose service-connected disability is rated 70% or more.
10-Point Hiring Preference may be added to the passing score of the un-remarried Spouse of a Veteran who was killed in action or who died of a service-connected disability.

Veterans with a 30% or greater SCD may be hired for a permanent, entry-level position with the State of Wisconsin on a noncompetitive basis.

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

•· A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

 Learn More

Veterans Employment Representatives: The Department of Labor's Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) program makes employment assistance available to all Wisconsin Veterans in local one-stop job centers. The Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program (DVOP) and Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) are the two primary programs providing employment and training services to eligible Veterans.

Learn more

Back to top



Unemployment Compensation Benefits:

Department of Workforce Development's Unemployment Insurance Program provides a safety net to eligible workers and their Families during times of unemployment. The UI Program is financed through employer contributions (taxes).

  • Social Security Number (Why we need your Social Security Number.)

  • A Personal Identification Number (PIN).

  • Wisconsin Driver's License Number, if you have one.

  • The names of everyone for whom you worked for in the past 18 months.
    For each employer you will also need:

    • a full address (including zip code)

    • a telephone number

    • the reason you are no longer working there

    • your first and last dates of work

  • Alien Registration Number, if you are not a U.S. citizen.

  • If a member of a skilled trades union, the name and local number of your union hall.

  • DD214, for all active duty terms within the last 18 months

  • Current Address. You need a valid mailing address to receive important documents about your claim.

The Retired Service member must disclose if they applied for or are receiving a retirement payment, but they do not report the retirement payment as wages on their weekly claim certifications. The weekly unemployment payments may be reduced if the Service member receives a retirement payment.

All claims are filed either online or by telephone. 

Learn more  

 Back to top



Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): 

Veteran Identifier: Veterans may be eligible for the Veteran Identifier on their Wisconsin driver's license or ID Card.
Eligibility: Your service must be under Honorable, General under honorable conditions, or Honorable under General and you must have had at least one period of service that encompassed at least two continuous years of "active duty" or 90 days of "active duty" during a Statutorily-Designated Wartime Period.

If you are unsure of your eligibility status, prior to visiting the DMV, verify your current eligibility status by calling toll free, 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387), and choosing option 1.​

Learn more

Special Vehicle License Plates: Over 50 different Special license plates are available to Veterans, retired military Service members, medal recipients, and members of the active or reserve military. For additional information on any of these plates, contact the Division of Motor Vehicles, or visit the Web site of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WISDOT):  

Learn more 

Wisconsin Salutes Veterans License Plates: This license plate is available to anyone who wants to show their support for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces. The plate is modeled after the Federal VA's logo and shows a bald eagle holding crossed U.S. and Wisconsin flags. The $15.00 issuance / reissuance fee is a tax-deductible donation to the Veterans Trust Fund and directly benefits disabled and other eligible Veterans and qualifying military Family members. An additional $15.00 fee for personalized plates. Wisconsin Salutes Veterans License Plate Application. 

Learn more 

Veterans/Military License Plates: Special vehicle license plates are available for Veterans and members of the military, including branch of service (Army, Navy, etc.) wartime service (WWII, Vietnam, etc.), and military medals (Silver Star, Air Medal, etc.). In all, more than 50 different service and medal designations are available.
A Service member of the Active, Reserve, a Veteran, Retired Military, Medal Recipient, or Military Academy student or alumni who is a qualified vehicle owner, lessee, or trust beneficiary. The $15 issuance/reissuance fee is a tax-deductible donation to the state's Veterans Trust Fund, which provides relief to Veterans and the immediate Families of Service members who die in the line of duty or as a result of service-connected disabilities, deployed Service members, and eligible disabled Veterans. Plates are transferable to surviving Spouse. Military License Plate Application. 

Learn more 

Wisconsin National Guard License Plates: Guard plates have a $15.00 issuance/reissuance fee for non-personalized plates. Personalized plates with one to seven letters or numbers are available for $15.00 plus annual registration. If you are a current or former member of one of eight Wisconsin National Guard units, you are eligible to receive one unit plate decal for an additional fee of $20.
Wisconsin residents who are current or retired members of the Wisconsin National Guard (Air and Army). If membership in the NG is not maintained (except due to retirement), the plates must be disposed of and regular replacement plates obtained. These plates may be transferred to a surviving Spouse. No special parking privileges are provided with these plates. Wisconsin National Guard License Plates and Decals Application.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran License Plates: Veterans with disabilities that impair the ability to walk may be eligible for special parking privileges. While there is no reduction in the registration fee for Disabled Veteran License Plates, privileges of the plate include parking in disabled parking spaces, exemption from time limitations and payment in metered parking in parking places with a half-hour or more limit.
Disabled Veteran of the United States Armed Forces. U.S. Veteran Disabled Parking License Plates Application

Learn more

Gold Star License Plates: Special Gold Star license plates are available to the immediate Family members of a Service member who has died in combat while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Individual Family members include the deceased Service member's Spouse, Child/step, parent/stepparent, sibling, grandparent or grandchild, and the Spouse of a Child/stepchild, parent/stepparent, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild. While annual registration fees apply, there is no issuance fee. If you wish to personalize the plate, you will pay an additional $15.00 each year. Gold Star Family license plates are not available at local DMV service centers; apply by mail to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. No special parking privileges are provided with the Gold Star Plate. Gold Star License Plate Application.

Learn more

Ex-Prisoner of War License Plates: The first license plate is issued at no charge, a second or subsequent plates have an additional $15.00 issuance fee plus the annual registration fee.
Proof of eligibility from your Orders or DD214 (Discharge document) and must be renewed annually even if no fee is required. Plates may be transferred to surviving Spouse or domestic partner.

Learn more

Medal of Honor License Plates: A special non-expiring license plate is issued to any Wisconsin resident awarded the Medal of Honor. There are no issuance or renewal fees required. When the vehicle is sold, the plate stays with owner (or the lessee if vehicle is leased), and may transfer to another qualifying vehicle. Plates may be transferred to surviving Spouse and remain at no fee. If the plate had been returned to the department or surrendered to another state, no issuance fee will be charged to reactivate the plate.
Proof of eligibility from your Orders or DD214 (Discharge document) or copy of official order.

Learn more

Veterans Motorcycle License Plate: Plates may be personalized with one to four characters. A $30 personalized plate fee is required in even years. A $15 personalized plate fee is required in odd years. Regular numbered plates have an issuance/reissuance fee of $15. No special parking privileges are provided with Veteran Motorcycle plates.
Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. U.S. Veteran Motorcycle License Plate Application

Learn more

Driver License Renewal: Under Wisconsin Statutes 343.20(4), any license issued to a person on active military duty does not expire. Your license will expire 30 days after you return to Wisconsin or 90 days after discharge from active duty, whichever is earlier.

You can either renew your driver license through the mail or have the DMV put a notation on your driving record to extend your license expiration date until you are no longer on active duty or return to Wisconsin.​

Learn more

Extended Driver License Expiration Date: To have your driver license expiration extended until you are no longer on active duty or return to Wisconsin, you will need to send a signed statement that includes your name, date of birth, current Wisconsin address and your temporary mailing address. The statement may be submitted by you, a relative or friend and should indicate that you are on active duty.

Fax the statement to (608) 261-8201 or mail it to:

​Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Driver Eligibility Unit
4802 Sheboygan Avenue
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995

DMV will place a notation on your driver record indicating that your license will expire 30 days after your return to Wisconsin or 90 days after your discharge. A copy of your driving record with this notation will be mailed to you at the temporary mailing address you provide us. You must carry this record with your expired Wisconsin license. You will not be issued a new license.

Within 30 days of your return to Wisconsin, you will need to visit a DMV customer service center to renew. If you will not be returning to Wisconsin within 90 days of your discharge from active duty, you should renew by mail.

Learn more

Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits:

Medical Benefits: National Guard Service members are entitled to same benefits as State employees.
National Guard (Air and Army) Service member activated for state active duty.

Learn more

Injury/Death Benefits: Same as under Worker's Compensation.
National Guard Service members on state active duty.

Group Insurance: Offered at $10,000.00-$45,000.00/$3.66-$17.35 month based on amount and age of insured. Options are also available for Spouse and dependents. For Army National Guard: Bonuses to $76,500.00.
National Guard (Air and Army) Service member.

Learn more

Workers' Compensation: National Guard Service members are entitled to same workers' compensation benefits as State employees.
National Guard (Air and Army) Service member activated for state active duty. Wisconsin Statues 321:35

Learn more

Back to top

Parks and Recreation Benefits:

Military Free Fishing and Small Game Hunting License: Any resident in active service with the Armed Forces, who presents their military I.D. and leave papers is eligible for a free Small Game & Fishing License. All other hunting, trapping or fishing licenses can be purchased at resident rates.

Learn more

Conservation Patron License for Purple Heart Recipients: Effective 8 November 2013, any resident Purple Heart recipient who exhibits proof at a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Service Center of having received a Purple Heart medal is eligible to purchase a Conservation Patron license for $10. Nonresident Purple Heart recipients may purchase the license for $161.

Learn more

Free Hunting or Fishing License for Returning Veterans: 2013 Wisconsin Act 20 authorizes recently returning Wisconsin resident Veterans to receive a one-time free small game, archery, gun deer or annual fishing license. Veterans who wish to receive a free hunting or fishing license must first contact the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) to determine their eligibility for this program.
Eligibility: Eligible Veterans will receive a voucher code that may be redeemed at the DNR within 365 days of discharge. A qualifies Veteran is a Wisconsin resident who is one of the following:

  1. A Veteran, as defined in s. 45.01 (12) (a) to (f), who served in a war period.

  2. A member of a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces or of the National Guard, as defined in 32 USC 101 (3), who has served in a war period* and who has served under honorable conditions for at least one year beginning on the member's date of enlistment in a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces or in the National Guard.

  3. A person who served in a war period who was discharged from a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces or from the National Guard, as defined in 32 USC 101(3) if that discharge was an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions.

*For this benefit, a "war period" means any of the following:

  • A period between September 11, 2001, and the ending date of Operation Enduring Freedom or an operation that is a successor to Operation Enduring Freedom, as established by the Department of Veterans Affairs by rule.

  • A period between March 19, 2003, and the ending date of Operation Iraqi Freedom or an operation that is a successor to Operation Iraqi Freedom, as established by the Department of Veterans Affairs by rule.

Learn more

Non-Resident Licenses at Resident Rates: A hunting, fishing and trapping license can be purchased at the resident rate by a nonresident who is:

  • A member of the Wisconsin National Guard;

  • An active member of the Armed Forces stationed in Wisconsin;

  • A member of a Reserve Unit of the Armed Forces located in Wisconsin; or

  • A current member of the Armed Forces or current member of a Reserve Unit of the Armed Forces stationed out of state who was a resident at the time he or she entered active service.

Learn more

Disabled Veterans Reduced-Fee Fishing License: Wisconsin disabled Veterans with a combined service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of 70% or greater; or are receiving service-connected disability benefits as individually unemployable are eligible for a disabled Veteran reduced-fee fishing license.
Acceptable evidence to receive this license includes:

  • Veteran's Disability Award Letter showing benefits are being paid for a disability of 70% or more;

  • A letter from the Veterans Administration that indicates customer is receiving benefits for a disability of 70% or more;

  • A completed Disabled Veteran Free State Park Application signed by a county Veteran service officer; or

  • A Wisconsin State Park & Forest Disabled Veteran or Former POW ID Card issued by the DNR.

Learn more

Special Hunting Permits for Disabled Residents: Individuals who are disabled (regardless of Veteran status) may qualify for free hunting permits that allow them special privileges, including hunting from a stationary vehicle and hunting with a crossbow. In addition to the permit, the individual must purchase the appropriate hunting license. Categories of permanent or temporary disabilities that may qualify for these hunting permits include:

  • Loss of mobility without the aid of a wheelchair, walker, single leg brace or prosthesis above the knee, two leg braces or prosthesis below the knees, two crutches, or two canes

  • Certain lung diseases

  • Certain cardiovascular disorders

  • Restricted mobility or ambulation that precludes hunting using traditional methods, including certain upper or lower extremity disabilities or other valid medical reasons

  • Legal blindness

Learn more

Free Access to State Parks and Trails: Certain Wisconsin resident disabled Veterans and former Prisoners of War (POWs) are eligible to receive waivers of vehicle admission and trail pass fees for State of Wisconsin Parks and Trails. Disabled Veteran Free State Park/Forest/Trail Pass Application
Eligible Veterans include:

  • Disabled Veterans with 70% or greater, either Permanent or Temporary disability rating

  • Disabled Veterans determined by the Federal VA to be Total Disabled due to Individual Unemployability (TDIU).

  • Former POWs.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Transportation to VA Medical Appointments: Wisconsin Veterans may use one of two programs that assist Veterans who need help getting to VA medical appointments. The Wisconsin Department of the Disabled American Veterans operates several vans around the state that normally stop at predetermined locations and then transport to the various medical centers.
These rides are free of charge and available to all Veterans based on financial need - you do not have to be disabled or belong to the DAV to get a ride on this network.

Learn more

The Assistance to Needy Veterans Grant (ANVG): A grant program provides limited financial assistance to those in need and who have exhausted all other sources of aid. The grants may be used for specified health care and subsistence needs or economic emergency assistance for Spouses and dependents of activated or deployed Service members, up to maximum grant limits. There is a lifetime cumulative grant award limit per Veteran of $7,500.00.
A Veteran or the un-remarried surviving Spouse with dependent Children of an eligible Veteran who died in the line of duty while on active duty or inactive duty for training or the Spouse with dependent Children of an eligible Service member who is currently activated or deployed.

Applications for the Assistance to Needy Veterans​ must be submitted through your local County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO)​.

Learn more

Military Funeral Honors Program (MFHP): Funeral Honors consist of the folding and/or presentation of a burial flag and the sounding of taps. Any of which can be rendered, depending on the Family's wishes. * The minimum number of personnel who will respond to a request for honors will be two uniformed service representatives. Section 578 of Public Law 106-65 entitles eligible Veterans to have a detail consisting of two or more uniformed military personnel present for military funeral honors. At least one of these representatives will be from the branch of service of the deceased. These two representatives will sound Taps, fold and present the U.S. flag to the next of kin. * If requested and available, the MFHP at no cost to the Family of a Veteran will arrange for a firing detail consisting of a minimum of three individuals who will fire three rifle volleys. This rifle detail may consist of MFHP team members, VSOs or other military organizations. It is appropriate to have multiple organizations present at the same service to render honors. * If requested and available, the MFHP will arrange for a bugler. Due to a shortage of buglers, Taps is normally sounded with the aid of an electronic bugle provided by the military service providing honors.* Funeral directors are requested to ask the question to the Family if they would like military representation and/or local VSO support for honors to be provided. If a Family requests military representation and/or a VSO cannot provide the support requested, the honors should be coordinated through the MFHP.

  • Died while serving on active duty or in the Selected Reserve (drilling with a unit).

  • Discharged from active duty under conditions "other than dishonorable."

  • Completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve under conditions "other than dishonorable."

  • Discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

MFHP Brochure

Learn more

Military Service Medals and Records Assistance: The state of Wisconsin provides Veterans and Family members of Veterans with military service medals and/or copies of military service records, discharge document, or DD Form 214.

WDVA Veterans Benefits Resource Center (VBRC) may also, in certain very limited circumstances, be able to provide assistance in receiving medal(s) that were never authorized or awarded, i.e., Purple Heart, etc.

​Call toll-free at 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387) and ask for the VBRC Medals and Records section.

Learn more

Military Discharge Reviews: WDVA provides assistance in requesting a Review of Military Discharges that were given Under Less Then Honorable Conditions.

The types of discharges include, but are not limited to General Discharges; Under Other Then Honorable; Undesirable; Bad Conduct and Dishonorable Discharges; given under Administrative Review, Summary or General Court-Martial.

Call the VBRC toll-free at 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387) for more information.​

Learn more

Wisconsin Women Veterans: From the founding of our nation, women have protected America's freedom and will continue to do so in ever-increasing numbers. Women Veterans remain historically under-represented in using available benefits and may be more reluctant than their male counterparts to embrace their status as Veterans.

To address the needs of women Veterans in our state, the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) remains committed to:

  • Providing advocacy for women Veterans;

  • Encouraging and supporting recognition of women Veterans' contributions to Wisconsin and the nation;

  • Providing outreach for women Veterans' programs and issues.

Women Veterans Program Brochure​​

Learn more

Homeless Housing and Recovery Program (VHRP): The Veterans Assistance Program (VAP) helps homeless Veterans and those at-risk of becoming homeless. The VHRP is designed to help homeless Veterans receive the job training, education, counseling and rehabilitative services they need to obtain steady employment, affordable housing and the skills to sustain a productive lifestyle. VHRP Centers are located at:

VHRP Chippewa Falls
2820 East Park Avenue, Bldg. 128
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Phone: 715-726-2541

N2665 County Road QQ
PO Box 51 ​​
King, WI 54946
Phone: 715-256-1118

VHRP Union Grove
21425 Spring Street, Cottage 16
Union Grove, WI 53182
Phone: 262-878-9151

Click here for the Veteran Housing & Recovery Program (VHRP) Brochure.

Learn more

Wisconsin Veterans Homes: Wisconsin has two Veterans Homes for eligible Veterans and their Spouses. To arrange for a pre-admission tour call:

* Veterans Home at King at 715-258-5586 / 1-888-458-5586
Veterans Home at Union Grove at 262-878-6700 or (866) NOW-VETS (866-669-8387)
Veterans Home at Chippewa Falls at 715-720-6775
: Since July 1, 2013 the requirement to be a Wisconsin resident at time of application to one of our Wisconsin State Veterans Homes has been eliminated. Out-of-State applicants are now welcomed!

The following "General and Subcategory Priorities" will be used when processing applicants for admissions.

General Priorities:

  • First Priority: Veterans.*

  • Second Priority: Spouses of Veterans.

  • Third Priority: Spouses of deceased Veterans.

  • Fourth Priority: Parents of Veterans that were killed while on active duty.

Sub-category Priorities:

"Within" each of the above general priorities these sub-category priorities will be applied when processing applicants for admission:

(a) Provide first priority to eligible applicants who have resided in the state of Wisconsin for more than six continuous months before the date of application for membership;

(b) Provide second priority to eligible applicants who are residents on the date of application and who have been residing continuously in the state of Wisconsin for a period of six months or less immediately preceding the date of application membership; and

(c) Provide third priority to eligible applicants who reside Out-of-State on the date of application for membership.

​* For the purposes of admissions eligibility a "Veteran" is defined as:

  • A person who has served on active duty during peacetime for two or more years or the full period of their initial obligation. OR;

  • A person who served on active duty for at least 90 days, one day of which must have been during a wartime period. AND:

  • A person who served and was discharged from the armed forces under honorable conditions.

  • Spouses of Veterans and Parents of Veterans that were killed while on active duty are also eligible to apply.

Learn more

Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemeteries: The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) operates the three state Veterans' cemeteries at Northern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery (NWVMC) - Spooner, Central Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery (CWVMC) - King, and Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery (SWVMC) - Union Grove. Upon meeting eligibility standards, Veterans are provided a burial at no cost, Spouses and dependent Children will incur a burial fee. Click here for the Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemeteries brochure.

Learn more

Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Wisconsin:

Veterans Health Administration
VA Medical Centers
Madison: William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, 2500 Overlook Terrace, 888-478-8321 / 608-256-1901
Milwaukee: Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 5000 W. National Ave, 414-384-2000
Tomah: Tomah VA Medical Center, 500 E. Veterans St, 608-372-3971

Outpatient Clinics
Appleton: Appleton Clinic (John H. Bradley), 10 Tri-Park Way, 920-831-0070 / Fax: 920-831-7936
Baraboo: Baraboo Clinic, 1670 South Blvd, 608-356-9318 / Fax: 608-356-9321
Beaver Dam: Beaver Dam Clinic, 215 Corporate Dr, Suite B, 920-356-9415 / Fax: 920-356-9477
Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic, 1205 North Ave, 920-693-5600 / Fax: 920-693-5604
Green Bay: Green Bay Clinic (Milo C. Huempfner), 2851 University Ave, 920-431-2500
Janesville: Janesville Clinic, 2419 Morse St, 608-758-9300 / Fax: 608-758-9400
Kenosha: Kenosha Clinic, 8207 22nd Ave, 262-653-9286 / Fax: 262-653-9522
La Crosse: River Valley Clinic, 2600 State Rd, 608-784-3886 / Fax: 608-784-0262
Owen: Clark County Outpatient Clinic, 8 Johnson St, 715-229-4701 / Fax: 715-229-4716
Rhinelander: Rhinelander Clinic, 639 West Kemp St, 715-362-4080 / Fax: 715-362-4077
Union Grove: Union Grove Clinic, 21425 Spring St, 262-878-7000 / Fax: 414-878-2317
Wausau: Wausau Clinic, 515 S. 32nd Ave, 715-842-2834 / Fax: 715-845-8211
Wisconsin Rapids: Wisconsin Rapids Clinic, 555 West Grand Ave, 715-424-4682 / Fax: 715-424-4614

Community Service Programs
Milwaukee: Community Resource and Referral Center - Milwaukee, 1818 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr, 414-263-7673

Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Chippewa Falls: Chippewa Valley VA Clinic, 475 Chippewa Mall Dr, Suite 418, 715-720-3780 / Fax: 715-720-2322
Hayward: Hayward VA Clinic, 15954 River's Edge Dr, Suite 103, 715-934-5454 / Fax: 715-934-5456
La Crosse: VA River Valley Integrated Health Center, 2600 State Rd, 608-784-3886 / Fax: 608-784-0262
Madison: Madison Central Clinic, 2500 Overlook Terrace, 888-856-9039 x17059 / Fax: 608-280-7020
Madison: Madison West Annex Clinic, 1 Science Ct, 608-284-6360 x16360 / 888-856-9039 x16360 / Fax: 608-284-6375
Rice Lake: Rice Lake VA Clinic, 2700A College Dr, 715-236-3355
Superior: Twin Ports VA Clinic, 3520 Tower Ave, 715-398-2400 / Fax: 715-392-3782

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Green Bay: Green Bay Vet Center, 1600 S. Ashland Ave, 920-435-5650 / Fax: 920-435-5086
La Crosse: La Crosse Vet Center, 20 Copeland Ave, 608-782-4403 / Fax: 608-782-4423
Madison: Madison Vet Center, 1291 N. Sherman Ave, 608-264-5342 / Fax: 608-264-5344
Milwaukee: Milwaukee Vet Center, 7910 N. 76th St, Suite 100, 414-434-1311 / Fax: 414-434-0128
Wausau: Wausau Vet Center, 605 S 24th Ave, Suite 24, 715-842-1724 / Fax: 715-842-9634

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Milwaukee: Milwaukee Regional Office, 5400 West National Ave, 800-287-1000

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Madison: Forest Hill Cemetery Soldiers' Lot, One Speedway Rd, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321
Milwaukee: Forest Home Cemetery Soldiers' Lot, 2405 West Forest Home Ave, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321
Milwaukee: Wood National Cemetery, 5000 West National Ave, Bldg 1301, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321
Portage: Fort Winnebago Cemetery Soldiers' Lot, Highway EE, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321
Prairie du Chien: Fort Crawford Cemetery Soldiers' Lot, 413 South Beaumont Rd, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321
Racine: Mound City Soldiers' Lot, 1147 West Blvd, 414-382-5300 / Fax: 414-382-5321

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations in Wisconsin

Please see the Wisconsin Resource Locator for additional information.

Active Duty


Fort McCoy

National Guard

Wisconsin Army National Guard

Wisconsin Air National Guard
115th Fighter Wing

128th Air Refueling Wing

United States Army Reserve (USAR)

88th Regional Support Command


Back to top

Document Review Date: 21 December 2015