State / Territory Benefits -  Washington


State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Department of Licensing
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Miscellaneous Benefits
Resource Locator
VA Facilities

Summary: Washington offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including property tax exemptions, state employment preferences, education and tuition assistance, vehicle tags, as well as hunting and fishing license privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

 State Taxes:

Personal Income Tax: No state personal income tax

Retirement Tax: Not Taxed

Military Disability Retired Pay: Not Taxed

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Property Tax Exemption: Disposable income is used to determine eligibility for certain property tax relief programs. Veterans' disability, dependency and indemnity compensation benefits are NOT included in the calculation of disposable income. (Military retirement pay still has to be included in disposable income.)
Eligibility: To qualify for the Exemption Program, you must be at least 61 years of age OR disabled OR a disabled Veteran with a 100 percent service-connected disability. (If a Veteran is disabled and unable to work, or at least age 61, the Veteran may still qualify even if he/she is not 100% service connected disabled.) You must also own and occupy your residence and your combined disposable income must be $35,000 or less, (For taxes collected in 2016, legislation has raised this to $40,000). (Veterans' disability compensation and dependency and indemnity compensation are not included when calculating disposable income.)

Learn more

Property Tax Assistance Program for Widows or Widowers of Veterans: The qualifying Widow/Widower receives assistance for payment of property taxes in the form of a grant. The assistance amount is based on the applicant's income, the value of the residence, and the local levy rates. The grant does not have to be repaid as long as the applicant continues to live in the residence until at least December 15 in the year a grant is received.
Eligibility: A Widow or Widower of a Veteran who died as a result of a service-connected disability; OR was rated 100% disabled by VA for 10 years prior to death; OR was a former POW and rated 100% disabled for 1 year prior to death; OR died on active duty or training status. The Widow/Widower must be at least sixty-two years of age by December 31 of the year the taxes are due OR be retired from regular gainful employment by reason of disability. The Widow/Widower must not have remarried.

The Widow/Widower must own and occupy a primary residence in the State of Washington; have combined disposable income of $40,000 or less.

Reporting/Documentation Requirements:

Learn more

Back to top


Education Benefits:

Washington State Education Benefits for Veterans: The State Legislature has authorized state community colleges, colleges and universities to waive 'all or a portion of tuition and fees' for eligible Veterans or National Guard members. Each college or university establishes and operates their own Veterans waiver program so it is best to get in touch with the college or university you plan to attend for details on their program.
Eligibility: An eligible Veteran or National Guard member is defined as: "...a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the United States military or naval forces, or a National Guard member called to active duty, who served in active Federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge." Click here to read the tuition waiver law.

Learn more

Education Benefits for Dependents of 100% Disabled Veterans or those who died as a result of military service: The State Legislature requires state universities and state community colleges to waive all undergraduate tuition and fees for eligible dependents of 100% disabled Veteran or National Guard member up to 200 quarter credits or equivalent semester credits. Waivers for graduate credits are encouraged but not required. Fees include all assessments for costs incurred as a condition to a student's full participation in coursework and related activities at an institution of higher education.

Eligibility: Eligible dependents are:

  • A Child must be a Washington domiciliary between the age of seventeen and twenty-six to be eligible for the tuition waiver. A Child's marital status does not affect eligibility.
  • A surviving Spouse or surviving domestic partner must be a Washington domiciliary.
    • A surviving Spouse or surviving domestic partner has ten years from the date of the death, total disability, or federal determination of prisoner of war or missing in action status of the eligible Veteran or National Guard member to receive benefits under the waiver. Upon remarriage or registration in a subsequent domestic partnership, the surviving Spouse or surviving domestic partner is ineligible for the waiver of all tuition and fees.
    • If a death results from total disability, the surviving Spouse has ten years from the date of death in which to receive benefits under the waiver.

An eligible Veteran or National Guard member is defined as: "...a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the United States military or naval forces, or a National Guard member called to active duty, who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge." Read more about the tuition waiver law

Learn more

Operation Recognition: In recognition of their outstanding contributions, The Washington State Legislature passed three bills to issues high school diplomas to Veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. "Operation Recognition" is being instituted through individual school districts to award full high school diplomas to qualifying Veterans. This is a small, overdue, gesture of our society's gratitude for the sacrifice these individuals made in the name of freedom. RCW 28A.230.120
Eligibility: Veterans who left high school to join the military during WWII, Korea, or Vietnam (includes the period beginning on February 28, 1961, and ending on May 7, 1975, in the case of a Veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period and the period beginning August 5, 1964, and ending on May 7, 1975 for all other veterans) are eligible to receive a high school diploma if the Veteran:

  • Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States
  • Was scheduled to graduate from high school; and
  • Left high school before graduation to serve in the War

Veterans who received a GED are still eligible to receive a high school diploma. Diplomas can be awarded posthumously.

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.
  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.
  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.
  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.
  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.
  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.
  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parent, and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student

Primary Point of Contact:
Dixie Grunenfelder, Program Advisor

Student Assistance Prevention Intervention (OSPI)
PO Box 47200, Olympia WA 98504
Phone: 360-725-6045

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits:

State Leave for National Guard and Reserve Service Members: State employees must be granted military leave with pay not to exceed twenty-one working days during each year, beginning October 1st and ending the following September 30th, in order to report for required military duty, training duty in the Washington National Guard or the Army reserves of the United States or any organized reserve or armed forces of the United States, or to report for drills including those in the National Guard under Title 10 U.S.C., or state active status. The employee is charged military leave only for the days that they are scheduled to work.
Eligibility: State employees on orders for Annual Training, or to report for drills Army National Guard and Reserve Service members.

Learn more

State Employment Preference: In every public department, and upon all public works of the state, and of any county thereof, honorably discharged Soldiers, who are Veterans of any war of the United States, or of any military campaign for which a campaign ribbon shall have been awarded, and their Widows or Widowers, shall be preferred for appointment and employment. Age, loss of limb, or other physical impairment, which does not in fact incapacitate, shall not be deemed to disqualify them, provided they possess the capacity necessary to discharge the duties of the position involved.
Eligibility: Must be a Veteran with Honorable Discharge, their Widows/ Widowers and the Spouses of honorably discharged Veterans who have a service connected permanent and total disability shall also be preferred for appointment and employment.

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or
  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or
  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or
  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or
  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

 Learn More

Veterans Hiring l Preference (State): Veterans may receive scoring criteria status in competitive examinations for public employment. The percentage shall be added to the passing mark, grade, or rating of competitive examinations until the Veteran's first appointment. The percentage shall not be utilized in promotional examinations. (1) Ten percent to a Veteran who served during a period of war or in an armed conflict and does not receive military retirement. (2) Five percent to a Veteran who did not serve during a period of war or in an armed conflict or is receiving military retirement. (3) Five percent to a Veteran who was called to active military service for one or more years from employment with the state or any of its political subdivisions or municipal corporations. (4) All Veterans' scoring criteria may be claimed upon release from active military service.
Eligibility: Must be a Veteran with Honorable Discharge.

Learn more

Military Service Credit: Washington State Department of Retirement Systems offers military service credit to qualified public employees.1-800-547-6657 / 360-664-7000
Eligibility: Service in the Army, or their Reserve units (including two-week annual training for reservists); or Air National Guard.

Learn more

Work Source Veteran Services: Washington State WorkSource helps thousands of military Veterans - including disabled Veterans - find jobs each year. As a Veteran, you can get priority access to WorkSource services. This includes priority referrals to jobs that are listed with WorkSource, as well as other employment services.

WorkSource centers offer Veterans and their Spouses:

  • Job listings, job referrals and hiring events.
  • Résumé, application and interviewing assistance.
  • Use of computers, photocopiers and phones.
  • Skill assessments and referrals to training and other resources.

On the WorkSource website, you also can identify yourself as a Veteran to make it easier for vet-friendly employers to find you, and you can search for job openings where employers are giving Veterans priority over other applicants. Most WorkSource centers have Veteran employment specialists whose sole job is to help military Veterans with disabilities and other severe employment barriers. They'll assess your skills and interests and put together an employment plan that's right for you.

WorkSource employment center Locations.

Learn more

CAMO2COMMERCE: Camo2Commerce provides opportunities for career development and jobs to Service members transitioning out of Joint Base Lewis-McChord into civilian life in western Washington. They offer a number of customized services to transitioning Service members, including one-on-one career coaching, job placement services, short-term training, hiring fairs and more. Camo2Commerce works to fully integrate the public workforce system into the transition services provided on military installations. Their goal is to enable transitioning Service members to seamlessly shift into the civilian workforce, and specifically into high-demand career opportunities.

Learn more 

Apprenticeship Programs: The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries offers a number of apprenticeship programs that are actively seeking transitioning Service members. Apprenticeships offer a way out of low paying, dead-end jobs and put you on a path to high-wage careers and financial success.

Learn more 

Translating Military Training or Experience to WA State Licensure or Credentials: Under a state law passed in 2011, people with military training and experience may count their training and experience towards certain civilian healthcare profession credentialing requirements if the state determines it is substantially equivalent to the state's standards. Please clearly state your military training in the education and training sections of the application form and include supporting documentation. For a complete listing of professions that can receive credentialing see page one of the application form.

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Compensation: Unemployment benefits replace some of your regular income and help you meet expenses while you look for a job.

Specific criteria must be met to be eligible for Unemployment benefits:

  • You must be employed for at least 680 hours in your base year in covered employment.
  • Unemployed for reasons that are not your fault. For example, you:
    • Were laid off
    • Are still working, but your hours were cut back
    • Were fired for a reason other than misconduct or gross misconduct
    • Quit for a good-cause reason
  • Able to and available for work
  • Actively seeking suitable work
  • Legally authorized to work in the United States and have been authorized to work during your base year

Those Service members recently separated from active military service may be entitled to unemployment benefits, for more information go to this Washington State Employment Security Department web page.

* If you separated from the military in the last 18 months, you must physically be in Washington state to use this online application.

To apply, you will need

  • Your Social Security number
  • The business names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and dates you worked for all of your employers since 10/1/2013, including part-time and temporary jobs. If you worked for more than 16 employers in the last 18 months, call the claims center at 800-318-6022 to apply.

Everyone's circumstance is unique. The Employment Security Department will decide if you are eligible for unemployment benefits based on the facts about your job loss. Click here for Washington's online Unemployment Insurance Application or to apply by phone, call the claims center at 800-318-6022. Handbook for Unemployed Workers

Learn more

Back to top


Department of Licensing:

Special Vehicle License Plates: Washington Department of Licensing has issued license plates to eligible Veterans with six separate designs, each containing a symbol representing a different branch of the armed forces to include Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and WA National Guard. Purchasers also receive a decal indicating their military status to include:

  • Veteran
  • Retired
  • Active Duty
  • Reserves
  • Disabled Veteran
  • Army Guard
  • Air Guard
  • Army Retired (for Army National Guard Retirees)
  • Air Retired (for Air National Guard Retirees)
  • Fallen Hero (This decal would be available for an eligible Family member of a military member killed in action)
  • Family
  • Gold Star License Plates

The cost to purchase an Armed Forces plate(s) is $72.75 for a car or truck, $54.75 for a motorcycle, or $60.75 for a trailer, plus any applicable licensing fees. The cost for a personalized plate is $124.75 for a car or truck, $106.75 for a motorcycle, or $112.75 for a trailer, plus any applicable licensing fees. When the vehicle registration becomes due, owners pay an additional $30.00 to keep the Armed Forces plate on their vehicle, even if you have not had the plate(s) for a full year. $28 from the purchase and renewal of each plate will be directed to the Veterans Stewardship Account and is tax deductible. License Plate Application
Eligibility: You are eligible to purchase a plate at any Vehicle Licensing Office if you:

  • Served at any time in the U.S. Military
  • Are currently on active duty
  • Served in the Guard or Reserves
  • Currently in the Guard or Reserves
  • Are a Family Member of those listed above

Learn more

Gold Star Plate: Gold Star Parents, Spouses, Children, and Siblings may qualify for a Gold Star License Plate under RCW 46.18.245. These plates honor parents, Spouses, Children, and siblings of military men and women who lost their lives in service to our Country.
Eligibility: To qualify for Gold Star license plates, you must be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs as being 1 of the following to a United States armed forces member who died while in the service, or as a result of their service:

  • Widow or Widower (If the Service member died as a result of their service, please include verification such as eligibility for DIC, or other documentation which identifies a service connected disability as the cause of death. Call 1-800-561-0132 option 1 if you have questions or need assistance.)Birth mother or birth father
  • Stepmother or stepfather
  • Mother or father through adoption (Additional documentation required) Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship care provider, or caretaker relative. (Additional documentation required.)
  • Biological Child
  • Adopted Child
  • Sibling

Widows(ers) do not pay any registration or plate fees for one Gold Star License Plate. For all other individuals eligible for Gold Star License Plates, there is no additional fee for the Gold Star background design, but you must still pay all required vehicle registration and tab renewal fees. (Registration and tab renewal fees vary by location and type of vehicle.)

Learn more

Veteran/ Military Service Award Emblems: To honor the military Service member, who shares a common bond through their service and sacrifice to their country and to Washington, any honorably discharged Veteran may obtain an emblem packet which can be put on any license plate type and include:

  • One large emblem - military service or award and
  • Two smaller emblems - service ribbon, medal, U.S. flag

Eligibility: Requirements to get an emblem

  • You must be the legal registered owner of the vehicle
  • You must provide proof of your military service or award
  • Display emblems on bottom of license plate
    • Between lower bolt holes - put wording
    • Outside lower bolt hole put - put ribbons or U.S. flag

For Veterans bring their DD214 or for active duty military bring orders awarding a campaign ribbon or medal to any vehicle licensing office with their application. The fee for an emblem packet is $15.

Learn more

Former Prisoners of War Plate: A qualified Prisoner of War may receive an exemption from license fees on one vehicle each year. Special plates are available with a permanent registration to qualified recipients.
Eligibility: This plate is available to you if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof that you were a Prisoner of War.

You are exempt from paying license fees on 1 vehicle each year if you:

  • Received an honorable discharge or discharged for physical reasons with an honorable record, or
  • Were captured or incarcerated for 29 or more days during a war with an enemy of the United States, or
  • Are the surviving Spouse of a deceased former Prisoner of War.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran Plate: Disabled American Veterans may be exempt from license fees on one vehicle per year. These special plates or tabs are good for the life of the vehicle, but don't grant disabled parking privileges.
Eligibility: To qualify for these special plates, applicants must:

  • Have served in any branch of the armed forces of the United States, Reserves, or National Guard, and
  • Have received both of the following:
    • An honorable discharge or a discharge for medical reasons with an honorable record.
    • A 100% service-connected disability rating from the Veterans Administration or the military service from which the Veteran was discharged.

Learn more

Medal of Honor Plate: Washington residents who have received the Medal of Honor may receive a license plate representing that award. You must submit proof from the Department of Veteran Affairs that you have received the Medal of Honor. There is no special plate fee.
Eligibility: If you're a WA state vehicle owner and received the Medal of Honor:

  • You can get plates for up to 3 vehicles at no charge
  • You can have either the Medal of Honor or standard mountain background plates
  • You'll need to submit proof from Department of Veterans Affairs that you received the Medal of Honor

Mail your letter and application to:

Special Plate Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-9909

Learn more

Purple Heart Plate: Any person who was issued the Purple Heart from any branch of the US Armed Forces, including the Merchant Marines, may be issued 1 vehicle license plate indicating that they were injured in one of this nation's wars or conflicts. There is an original plate fee of $32.75 for cars and trucks and a $14.75 fee for motorcycle. The initial cost for a personalized plate is $84.75 for cars and trucks and a $66.75 fee for motorcycle
Eligibility: This plate is available to you if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof (DD214 or DA 638 showing award of the medal):

  • That you were issued the Purple Heart, OR
  • You're a surviving Spouse or domestic partner of a deceased Purple Heart recipient

Learn more

Pearl Harbor Survivor Plate: Washington residents who are Pearl Harbor survivors are eligible to apply for Pearl Harbor Survivor license plates. No special plate fee.
Eligibility: This plate is available to you, if you're a WA state vehicle owner and have proof (DD214):

  • That you were stationed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 or were offshore 3 miles or less, and/or
  • Received an honorable discharge or discharge for physical/medical reasons with an honorable record from the US Armed Forces.

Learn more

Back to top


Health and Insurance Benefits

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications: 

  • Not on active duty orders
  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
  • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
  • Family Members Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection (TSGLI)
  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI)
  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

Learn more

Group Insurance: The Washington National Guard Association offers life insurance plans which provide:

  • $1,000 No Cost coverage for every active Guard Member
  • Convenience of Military Payroll Deduction
  • Spouse and Dependent coverage available
  • Immediate death benefit available
  • No war, terrorism, aviation clauses; coverage on or off duty
  • Unit benefits briefing and coverage review every 12-18 months
  • May remain in effect when you leave the Guard
  • Guaranteed conversion available

Information and beneficiary identification will be done during drill weekends when representatives from SSLI will visit each unit. Should you desire more information now, please visit
Eligibility: Washington National Guard members and their eligible Family members

Learn more

Workers Compensation: Workers Compensation equivalent to State employees.
Eligibility: Injury occurs while serving on State Active Duty.

Injury/Death Benefits: Workers Compensation equivalent to State employees less any VA payments received.
Eligibility: Injury/Death occurs while serving on State Active Duty.

Back to top  


Parks and Recreation:

Non-Resident Active Duty Hunting and Fishing Privileges: Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife offers reduced licensing for non-resident active duty military. License Fees and Types

  • Active duty U.S. military stationed in Washington State are considered residents and qualify for resident licenses as long as they are stationed in Washington on a non-temporary basis. A "non-temporary basis" means for ninety days or longer. However, active duty U.S. military personnel may not possess resident licenses from two different states at the same time. Resident licenses cost the same for active duty military personnel as they do for residents who are not in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • If an active duty U.S. military member has a resident hunting/fishing license from another state, he/she must purchase an out-of-state license to hunt in Washington.
  • An active duty military member who maintains his status as a resident of Washington can continue to buy resident licenses in Washington even if transferred elsewhere, as long as he/she doesn't purchase a resident license in another state.

Learn more

Reduced Fee Hunting and Fishing Privileges for Disabled Veterans: Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife offers reduced licensing fees at a cost of half the resident fee. License Fees and Types
Eligibility: If you are a resident of Washington State or a non-resident of Washington State, have been honorably discharged from military service, and have received a disability percentage rating from the Veterans Affair Administration (VA), you will qualify for a reduced fee license if you meet the criteria below. The following are eligible for a combination fishing license (fresh water, salt water, and shellfish) and/or hunting license(s) at a discounted rate:

  • Resident qualified disabled Veterans rated 30% service connected or more as verified by VA letter.
  • Resident Veterans 65 years of age or older with a service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
  • Non-Resident Veterans with at least 30% service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
  • Non-Resident Veterans 65 years of age or older with a service connected disability as verified by VA letter.

Learn more

State Parks Disabled Veteran Lifetime Pass - No charge: Free camping/moorage, campsite reservations through State Parks central reservations system, watercraft launching, trailer dump and day use. Valid year-round. Offered to Washington state residents with a documented service-connected disability of at least 30 percent. Complete the Disability Pass Application and mail to:

Washington State Parks
1111 Israel Road SW
P.O. Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504
Eligibility: Must have proof of three consecutive month's residency in Washington State and have a service-connected disability of at least 30 percent.

Learn more

Back to top


Miscellaneous Benefits:

Recording of Discharges: The county auditor shall record upon presentation without expense the official discharge of each Veteran who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, as a confidential record who is residing in the state of Washington. County Clerks may charge a basic recording fee and preservation fee, not to exceed $7, for recording of the "request for exemption from public disclosure of discharge papers."
Eligibility: Military Veteran with DD214.

Learn more

Public Disclosure of Discharge Papers: Veterans' discharge papers filed with county auditors after June 30, 2002, are no longer public records. Veterans' discharge papers may be released to the Veteran, the Veteran's next of kin, a deceased Veteran's properly appointed personal representative or executor, a person holding the Veteran's general power of attorney, or anyone else designated in writing by the Veteran to receive the records.

Learn more

Reduced Public Transportation Fees: Local participating transit authorities, offer disabled Veteran passengers travel at a reduced rate with a Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP).
Eligibility: Disabled Veteran passengers certified by the Veterans Administration at a 40 percent or greater disability level.

Learn more

Reduced State Ferry Transportation Fees: Reduced State Ferry fares may be available to any disabled individuals. Disabled passengers may travel at half the regular passenger fare if proper proof of disability is presented. Acceptable ID includes a Medicare Card, the Regional Reduced Fare Permit, or other identification which establishes disability. In the case of a disabled driver, only the passenger portion of the fare is reduced, not the vehicle portion. If a disabled customer requires attendant care and has proof from physician certification, they can get an endorsement on their Regional Reduced Fare Permit or Ferry System Disability Card allowing the attendant to travel for free as a passenger. Contact 206-553-3060 for Regional Reduced Fare Permit information or 1‑888‑808‑7977 for WSF Disability Permit information.

Learn more

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Counseling: WDVA provides an outreach/counseling program to Veterans with war-era and PTSD-related problems. The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Program attempts to create community-based avenues to counseling service that are less formal in nature, offering the highest level of confidentiality possible. Services provided throughout the program include individual, couples, Family, and Veteran group counseling. Some contractors offer group services to women Veterans and Spouses of Veterans. Veterans may be referred to specialized inpatient or outpatient treatment offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers or Vet Centers within Washington State. The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs also has a directory of PTSD/ War Trauma Outpatient Counseling providers located here.

  • Honorably discharged war era (any of the nation's war or peacekeeping periods) Veterans and his/her Family members
  • Washington State National Guard or Military Reserve members deployed in support of the nation's war and peacekeeping missions, and their Family members
  • The Veteran does not need to be suffering from or diagnosed with PTSD, but should be able to demonstrate significant post war adjustment issues to warrant outpatient care
  • No VA service connected disability for any condition is required for this service within the WDVA PTSD Program
  • Services are free to qualified Veterans
  • Priority is given to those most vulnerable or having no other reasonable options for care.


School aged Children of War Exposed Veterans:  Additional counseling and consulting resources are being used to educate teachers and school counselors of the potential needs of school aged children of war exposed parents.

Learn more

Homeless Veterans Reintegration Project (HVRP): HVRP is a proven, successful program that gets homeless Veterans off the street and back to being productive members of society. WDVA provides HVRP-Urban services to Veterans in the Puget Sound Region of King, Pierce, Thurston, Snohomish and Kitsap Counties.

The HVRP offers a structured, individually designed case management plan to assist Veterans become employable and secure.

Program Services include:

  • Immediate needs - food, clothing, transportation, and access to shelter;
  • Outreach to homeless Veterans providers;
  • Employability needs and skills assessment;
  • Job readiness services, including transitional housing assistance, basic skills training, therapeutic work, résumé
    development and employment opportunity referrals; and
  • 90, 180, and 270-day job retention follow-up.

Eligibility: To be eligible for participation under HVRP, an individual must be a Veteran and homeless as defined:

  • A Veteran as defined in 38 USC 101 (2) who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable
  • Homeless or a homeless individual as defined in 42 U.S.C. 11302 (a)

Learn more

Veterans Estate Management Program: The WDVA Veterans Estate Management Program offers protective payee services for Veterans and Family members who are incapable of managing their own financial affairs. By assuming custody of the individual's finances, the department ensures basic needs - such as housing, food, clothing and medical care - are provided. These services may include the following:

  • Fiduciary appointment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Representative payee appointment by the Social Security Administration; or
  • Act as an executor of a Veteran's estate

Eligibility: Military Veterans and beneficiaries

Learn more

Veterans Conservation Corps: The Veterans Conservation Corps provides meaningful training and volunteer opportunities for Veterans that also help restore and protect Washington State's natural resources.

Below are our five areas of focus:

  1. The Veterans Conservation Corps: The VCC provides opportunities for Veterans to connect with nature in their own way while restoring Washington's natural resources. VCC Project Coordinators
  2. The Vet Corps: Helps Veterans and their Family members navigate Washington's higher education and training programs as Veterans adjust from military to college life. VCC Corp Members
  3. Program Support Specialists: Reach out to Veterans and service providers in communities across Washington State, providing training and support, Program Support Specialists broaden our ability to meet the needs of the Veteran community.
  4. King County Vet Corps Program: With the help of a King County Grant, a special King County Vet Corps Program was established to link Veterans and in some cases their Family members in King County to apprenticeship, employment and training opportunities.
  5. Transitioning Back Into Employment: The Vet Corp and the Washington State Council of Society of Human Resources Managers, SHRM, have developed a statewide initiative to help returning Vets transition into employment.  The WA SHRM chapters have partnered to provide workforce readiness resources and employment opportunities to Vets within their local community.

Learn more

State Veterans Homes: WDVA operates three long-term nursing and assisted-living care homes in Orting, Retsil, and Spokane. (Spokane provides long-term nursing care only.) All Washington State Veterans Homes are Medicare and Medicaid certified facilities. Application for Admission. The facilities provide a number of supportive programs and services such as:

  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Recreational Activities
  • Social Services
  • Volunteer Programs - Find out more
  • Hospice
  • Nutritious Meals
  • Community Involvement
  • Religious Programs
  • Transportation
  • Laundry
  • Beauty & Barber Shops
  • Fishing Pond (Orting)
  • Patriotic Interment Services

Eligibility: All Washington State Veterans Homes are Medicare and Medicaid certified facilities. To be eligible for admission, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Served at any time, in any branch of the United States Armed Forces including the National Guard;
  • Received an honorable discharge;
  • Reside in Washington State;
  • Be the Spouse or Widow/Widower of an eligible Veteran;
  • Or be a Gold Star Parent.

Learn more

Veterans Innovations Program: The Veterans Innovations Program was created to provide assistance to Veterans and their Families facing financial hardships due to deployments in support of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The program works with the Veteran and their Family to match their individual needs with the appropriate Veterans Innovations Program fund and other Veteran or non-Veteran programs and services. Their goal is to make sure the Veteran and their Family has access to all Veterans benefits and the tools they need to provide for themselves and their Families. Veterans Innovations Program Application

  • Received an honorable discharge.
  • Deployed in support of Operating Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom or Noble Eagle receiving GWOT Expeditionary Medal.
  • Is experiencing financial hardship where income is not sufficient to meet basic needs.
  • Presents a discernable positive outcome.
  • Request is within the grant funding capabilities.
  • Submit complete application packet with required supporting documentation.

Learn more

House Key Veterans Program: House Key Veterans is a down payment assistance, second mortgage program with a 3.00% interest rate and a ten-year loan term for Washington State Veterans who have served their country House Key Veterans combines with the Home Advantage first mortgage loan program.

  • Persons receiving an honorable discharge or who have received a discharge for medical reasons with an honorable record;
  • Members and honorably discharged former members of the Washington National Guard and Reserve; and
  • Never remarried Spouses and dependent Children of deceased Veterans.

Borrowers must be first-time homebuyers or buying in a targeted area. Borrowers must qualify for the Home Advantage Program first mortgage loan program.

Maximum Income to be Eligible for the House Key Veterans Program (as of 04/15/2015):

  • Clark $73,900
  • Island $74,200
  • King/Snohomish $89,600
  • Kitsap $74,600
  • All Other Counties: $73,600

Borrowers must attend a Commission-sponsored homebuyer seminar prior to reserving funds. Cash back to borrowers is not allowed.

Learn more

County Veterans Assistance: County aid for indigent Veterans and their Families who reside in Washington State for at least one year may be available. Contact each individual county official for eligibility information. A listing of County Services phone numbers is located here.
Eligibility: Each county establishes a Veterans' assistance program to address the needs of local indigent Veterans and their Families.

Learn more

Military Funeral Honors: An honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible Veteran consisting of not less than two members of the Armed Forces is available for eligible Veterans.

  • Military members who died while on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
  • Former military members who served on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions
  • Further clarification on eligibility is available on our DoD Policy page

Learn more

State Veterans Cemetery: Washington's first State Veterans Cemetery was dedicated in Medical Lake, WA on Memorial Day 2010.

Interment areas and facilities include 1,280 standard burial plots; 2,000 pre-placed crypts; 1,370 in-ground cremains, (cremated human remains) sites and 2,240 columbarium niches. Interments began June 7, 2010. Included in the initial site development was a committal shelter, over 1,000 pre-placed crypts, 2,080 columbarium niches, an unspecified number of burial plots for in-ground inurnments as well as a scattering garden. Also included in the initial development were an administrative building, with public and private meeting space and a fully enclosed maintenance facility for storage and upkeep of grounds equipment and machinery.
Eligibility: Eligibility for interment in the State Veterans Cemetery mirrors National Veterans Cemetery eligibility requirements. There is no requirement to be a resident of the state of Washington. In general all U.S. Veterans discharged under conditions other than dishonorable; Spouses; and Dependent Children. In order to determine eligibility the Veteran's Form DD-214 military discharge must accompany the application for Interment.

Interment Costs: For Spouses or dependent Children, $300.00 will be collected on the day of interment. For Veterans, the Federal VA provides the following:

  • Burial plot or columbarium niche
  • Concrete liner for casket burials
  • Opening and closing of the grave
  • Perpetual care of the gravesite
  • Inscribed gravestone
  • 30 minute committal service

All other funeral expenses are paid by the Veteran's Family or estate. Some Veterans or their Widows/Widowers may be eligible for additional Federal VA benefits. To determine whether the Veteran or Family member is eligible for additional benefits please call 1-800-562-2308.

Washington State Veterans Cemetery Brochure

Learn more

Back to top


Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Washington

Veterans Health Administration

VA Health Care System
Lakewood: VA Puget Sound Health Care System - American Lake Division, 9600 Veterans Dr, Tacoma, 253-582-8440 / 800-329-8387
Seattle: VA Puget Sound Health Care System - Seattle Division, 1660 South Columbian Way, 206-762-1010 / 800-329-8387

VA Medical Centers
Spokane: Mann-Grandstaff VA Medical Center, 4815 N. Assembly St, 509-434-7000 / 800-325-7940
Vancouver: VA Portland Health Care System - Vancouver Campus, 1601 E Fourth Plain Blvd, 360-696-4061
Walla Walla: Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center, 77 Wainwright Dr, 509-525-5200 / 888-687-8863

Outpatient Clinics
Colville: Colville RHC, 1200 E Columbia, 509-684-3701 / Fax: 509-684-5817
Republic: Republic RHC, Ferry County Memorial Hospital, 36 North Klondike Rd, 509-773-3153 / Fax: 509-775-8929
Tonasket: Tonasket RHC, North Valley Hospital, 203 S. Western Ave, 509-486-2151 / Fax: 509-486-3160

Integrated Clinical Facility
Yakima: Yakima Valley Vet Center, 2119 W. Lincoln, 509-457-2736 / Fax: 509-457-1822

Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Bellevue: Valor CBOC Bellevue, 13033 Bel-Red Rd, Suite 210, 425-214-1055
Bremerton: Bremerton CBOC, 925 Adele Ave, 360-473-0340 / Fax: 360-377-8029
Chehalis: South Sound CBOC, 151 NE Hampe Way, 360-748-3049 / Fax: 360-748-3006
Federal Way: Valor CBOC Federal Way, 34617 11th Place South, Suite 301, 253-336-4142
Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon CBOC, 307 S. 13th St, Suite 200, 360-848-8500
Port Angeles: North Olympic Peninsula, 1114 Georgiana St, 360-565-7420
Richland: Richland (WA) Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 825 Jadwin Ave, Suite 250, Federal Bldg, 2nd Fl, 509-946-1020 / Fax: 509-946-0827
Seattle: Valor CBOC North Seattle, 12360 Lake City Way NE, Suite 200, 206-384-4382
Wenatchee: Wenatchee CBOC, 2530 Chester-Kimm Rd, 509-663-7615 / Fax: 509-663-7516
Yakima: Yakima Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 717 Fruitvale Blvd, 509-966-0199 / Fax: 509-966-4266

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Bellingham: Bellingham Vet Center, 3800 Byron Ave, Suite 124, 360-733-9226 / Fax: 360-733-9117
Everett: Everett Vet Center, 3311 Wetmore Ave, 425-252-9701 / Fax: 425-252-9728
Federal Way: Federal Way Vet Center, 32020 32nd Ave South, Suite 110, 253-838-3090 / Fax: 253-874-5083
Seattle: Seattle Vet Center, 4735 E Marginal Way S, Rm 1102, 206-658-4225 / Fax: 206-658-4220
Spokane: Spokane Vet Center, 13109 E Mirabeau Pkwy, 509-444-8387 / Fax: 509-444-8388
Tacoma: Tacoma Vet Center, 4916 Center St, Suite E, 253-565-7038 / Fax: 253-254-0079
Walla Walla: Walla Walla County Vet Center, 1104 West Poplar, 509-526-8387
Yakima: Yakima Vet Center, 2119 W. Lincoln Ave, 509-457-2736 / Fax: 509-457-1822
Yakima: Yakima Valley Vet Center, 2119 West Lincoln Ave, 509-457-2736 / Fax: 509-457-1822

Vancouver: VISN 20: Northwest Network, 1601 E Plain Blvd, 360-619-5925

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Seattle: Seattle Regional Benefit Office, Jackson Federal Bldg, 915 2nd Ave, 800-827-1000

Intake Site
Bremerton: Bangor Sub Base, West Sound/Bremerton Pre-Separation Office, 262 Burwell St
Bremerton: Everett Naval Station, West Sound/Bremerton Pre-Separation Office, 262 Burwell St Bremerton: Kitsap NB, West Sound/Bremerton Pre-Separation Office, 262 Burwell St
Bremerton: Whidbey Island Naval Air Station, West Sound/Bremerton Pre-Separation Office, 262 Burwell St
Fairchild AFB: Fairchild Air Force Base, Airman and Family Readiness Center
Fort Lewis: Fort Lewis, Waller Hall, Bldg 2140, Rm 700
Fort Lewis: McChord Air Force Base, Waller Hall, Bldg 2140, Rm 700

National Cemetery Administration
National Cemetery
Kent: Tahoma National Cemetery, 18600 Southeast 240th St, 425-413-9614 / Fax: 425-413-9618

Learn more

Back to top



Military Installations in Washington

Please see the Washington Resource Locator for additional information.


Active Duty


Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Yakima Training Center

Air Force

Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Fairchild AFB


Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

Whidbey Island Naval Air Stations

Naval Station Everett

Naval Base Kitsap

Naval Magazine Indian Island

National Guard

Washington Military Department

Washington Army National Guard

Washington Air National Guard

United States Army Reserve (USAR)

88th Regional Support Command


Back to top 

Document Review Date: 22 December 2015