State / Territory Benefits - North Dakota


State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Benefits
Health Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities


Summary: North Dakota offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including State Educational Benefits for dependent of MIA/POWs, Tax Exemptions for the disabled, job reinstatement, and Veteran's preference in public employment. We also administer a Veterans Aid Loan Program, a Grant Program, and a Transportation Program. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility


 State Taxes

State Tax Advantage: None

Military Income Taxes: If you are a full-year resident of North Dakota who is required to file a federal income tax return, you are required to file a North Dakota income tax return. As a North Dakota resident, you are subject to North Dakota income tax on all of your income regardless of its source. This applies regardless of where you may have been stationed during the year. Your income is taxable to the same extent it is taxable for federal income tax purposes.

Learn more

Retired Military Pay: North Dakota's individual income tax law does not provide for any special deductions for retired military members.

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.

Military SBP/ RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Learn more

Homestead Tax Credit: The homestead credit is a property tax relief program for qualifying homeowners and renters who are age 65 or older (or the applicant is permanently and totally disabled) in the year for which the application is made. For a husband and wife who are living together, only one may apply for the homeowner's credit or renter's refund. In this case, only one Spouse applying for the credit or refund need be 65 years of age or older.
Eligibility: The applicant's income, plus the income of a Spouse and any dependents, may not exceed $42,000 for the calendar year preceding the assessment date. The applicant must consider income from all sources, which includes, but is not limited to, social security benefits, pensions, salaries, unemployment benefits, dividends, interest, net gains from the sale of property, net rental income and net profit from any business, including ranching and farming. Life insurance death proceeds paid to a surviving Spouse or dependent are not included as income under this act. Medical expenses actually paid during the year are deductible from income if not compensated for by insurance or otherwise.

Additional requirements for homeowners:

  • A homeowner must reside on and have an interest in the property for which the credit is claimed.
  • The applicant's assets may not exceed $500,000, including the market value of the homestead and the value of any assets gifted or otherwise divested within the last three years.
  • No person shall qualify to receive the property tax credit if the homestead is rented while the owner is temporarily absent or the homestead is a farm structure which is exempt from taxation.
  • The tax credit will reduce the taxable value of the homestead on a sliding scale depending upon the income of the applicant.
  • Application for the credit is filed with the local assessor or county director of tax equalization by February 1 (or as soon thereafter as possible) in the year in which your property is assessed and for which the credit is requested.
  • The property tax credit is subject to adjustment, equalization and abatement in the same manner as other real property assessments.
  • In the event of the applicant's death, all benefits terminate at the end of the taxable year.

Additional requirements for renters:

  • No refund may be made to a person who pays rent or fees for any living quarters, including nursing homes, which are exempt from property taxation and for which payment in lieu of property taxes is not made.
  • Heat, water, lights, telephone or furniture costs may not be considered as part of rent costs. If the landlord pays for these items, the cost of these items must be deducted from the rent when applying for a refund. If utilities and furniture are paid by the renter, the cost of these items may not be added to the rent when applying for a refund.
  • The amount of refund is based upon rent paid and income of the applicant. A refund is issued for the amount that 20 percent of annual rent exceeds 4 percent of annual income. The refund may not be greater than $400.
  • Application for a renter refund is filed with the Office of State Tax Commissioner before June 1 following the year for which the refund is claimed. Extensions of time may be allowed for good cause.

  Learn more

Disabled Veteran Property Tax Credit: A paraplegic disabled Veteran of the United States Armed Forces or any Veteran who has been awarded specially adapted housing by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or the un-remarried surviving Spouse if such Veteran is deceased, is exempt from property tax for the first $120,000 of true and full valuation of the fixtures, buildings, and improvements. (NDCC 57-02-08, para 20.a)

A disabled honorably-discharged Veteran or retiree of the U.S. Armed Forces with a rating of 50% or greater, or with a rating to include individual unemployability that brings the total disability rating to 100%, is eligible for a credit applied against the first $6750 of taxable valuation ($150,000 of true value) of the fixtures, buildings and improvements of the homestead owned and occupied by the Veteran. The un-remarried surviving Spouse of a Veteran under these criteria is also eligible.

An un-remarried surviving Spouse who is receiving Department of Veterans' Affairs dependency and indemnity compensation receives a one-hundred percent (100%) exemption. (NDCC 57-02-08.8Application for Disabled Veterans Property Tax Credit.

Learn more

Back to top


Education Benefits:

National Guard Tuition Waiver: Any qualifying member of the National Guard, who enrolls in any state-controlled school, shall, subject to National Guard rules promulgated by the adjutant general, is entitled to receive a twenty-five percent waiver of the tuition from the state-controlled school. To apply, the Service member must obtain a certificate from his/her unit attesting to satisfactory performance, and submit it to the school in order to obtain the waiver
The tuition waiver is valid only so long as the member of the National Guard maintains satisfactory performance with the guard, meets the qualification requirements of rules adopted by the adjutant general, and pursues a course of study in a manner, which satisfies the normal requirements of the school.

Learn more

North Dakota Dependent Tuition Waiver: Eligible dependents of Veterans, upon being duly accepted for enrollment into any North Dakota state-supported institution of higher education or state-supported technical or vocational school, must be allowed to obtain a bachelor's degree or certificate of completion, free of any tuition and fee charges provided that the bachelor's degree or certificate of completion is earned within a forty-five month or ten semester period or its equivalent; and further that tuition and fee charges shall not include costs for aviation flight charges or expenses.
Any dependent of a resident Veteran who was killed in action or died from wounds or other service-connected causes, was totally disabled as a result of service-connected causes, died from service-connected disabilities, was a prisoner of war, or was declared missing in action.(NDCC 15-10-18.3)

Learn more

Veteran/Service Member Resident Status: (NDCC 15-10-19.1) A "resident student" for tuition purposes means:

  • A full-time active-duty member of the Armed Forces;
  • A member of the North Dakota National Guard;
  • A member of the Armed Forces Reserve Component stationed in this state; OR
  • A Veteran, as defined in NDCC 37-01-40.

Service members or Veterans who meet the above requirements are treated as in-state residents for tuition purposes, regardless of length of residency in North Dakota. Spouses of Service members and their Dependents meeting these requirements are also eligible.

Learn more

Honorary High School Diplomas: Honorary High School Diplomas are available for WWII, Korean, and Vietnam War Veterans who left high school to serve in these wars. Applications are available online in MSWord and PDF formats.

Learn more

Veterans Upward Bound: The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is an individualized educational program for Veterans who want to obtain academic preparation before entering or during postsecondary education. Course work in English, computer literacy, mathematics, science, and reading is designed to prepare Veterans for successful participation in postsecondary education. The program also offers General Education Development (GED) test preparation for Veterans lacking a high school diploma. In addition to academic course work, the program provides advising and referral services. Veterans may be eligible to receive educational benefits while attending the program.

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.
  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment. Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.
  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.
  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.
  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.
  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
LTC Davina French, North Dakota Commissioner
Address: PO Box 5511, Bismark, ND 58506-5511
Phone: 701-333-2268

Learn more

Back to top

Employment Benefits:   

Public employment preference to Veterans (State): Veterans are entitled to preference, over all other applicants, in appointment or employment by governmental agencies, provided that such Veteran is a United States citizen at the time of application for employment. Veterans qualified for preference may not be disqualified from holding any position with an agency because of physical or mental disability, unless the disability renders them unable to properly perform the duties of the position applied for.

North Dakota Veterans' preference criteria are the same as Federal guidelines; specific details can be found here.

Benefit Highlights: When a Veteran applies for employment to a position that is not being filled through a competitive hiring process, the hiring authority must investigate the qualifications and abilities of the Veteran. If the Veteran is qualified and is physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position applied for, the hiring authority shall employ the Veteran. Disabled Veterans are entitled to preference superior to that of non-disabled Veterans, and must be given first consideration.

When a Veteran applies for employment to a position that is being filled through a competitive hiring process, the hiring authority must investigate the qualifications and abilities of the Veteran. If the Veteran is qualified, physically, and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position applied for, then the hiring authority must apply five (5) points for a non-disabled Veteran or ten (10) points for a disabled Veteran on a hundred-point scale to the score used in the process. If the scale is not 100-point, five (5) percent of the score must be added for a non-disabled Veteran and ten (10) percent for a disabled Veteran. The total is the Veteran's final rating score. (NDCC 37-19.1-02)
Eligibility: An applicant is eligible for this benefit provided he/she meets the criteria and performs the following steps:

  • Provide a copy of their DD214 or document of separation. An applicant claiming disabled Veteran's preference must also provide an award letter from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs dated less than one year old indicating disability status.
  • Surviving un-remarried Spouses are eligible for Veteran's preference. An applicant claiming preference as an eligible Spouse shall provide a copy of the marriage certificate, the Veteran's DD Form 214 or document of separation, and the Veteran's death certificate. If the preference is for a disabled Veteran, a letter from the Dept. of Veterans' Affairs dated less than one year old indicating disability status must also be included. (NDCC 37-19.1-03)

Learn more

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or
  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or
  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or
  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or
  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

 Learn More

Private employment Veteran's Preference: A private, non-public employer in this state may provide a preference to a Veteran for employment. Spouses of honorably discharged Veterans who have a service-connected permanent and total disability also may be preferred for employment. This preference is not considered a violation of any state or local equal employment opportunity law.

Learn more

Paid Leave for Military Service: State employee receives 20 working days military leave per year for Federal or State active duty. Should a mobilization occur (national or State authorized), the first thirty days shall be without a loss of pay, less any other paid leave of absence granted during the calendar year. (NDCC 37-01-25)
State employees who have been employed with the State for ninety (90) continuous days preceding the leave of absence.

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Insurance: Job Service North Dakota administers the Unemployment Insurance (UI), providing temporary assistance to unemployed North Dakota workers.

UI ICE is Job Service North Dakota's Unemployment Insurance Internet Claims Entry system. This secure, convenient tool allows you to:

  • File an unemployment insurance claim
  • Certify weekly eligibility
  • Select your payment option
  • Access unemployment insurance information
  • Complete orientation and eligibility reviews
  • Complete re-employment activities

If you have problems with your internet claim/certification, you can call the Unemployment Insurance Claims Center at 701-328-4995 for assistance and provide that number.

To be eligible for unemployment benefits you must:

  • Have been separated from employment through no fault of your own or have had your hours reduced.
  • Be able to work.
  • Be available for work.
  • Be actively seeking employment.
  • Be found monetarily eligible - a claimant establishes monetary eligibility based on work performed during a specific one-year period called the base period.

Information you will need to have available when you file:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Name, address and telephone number of all employers for whom you worked in the last 18 months or since last registering
  • Wage you are willing to accept
  • Union Local name and number
  • DD214 member copy 4 (proof of military service and wages)
  • SF8 and SF50 (proof of federal civilian service and wages)
  • Your alien identification number (non-U.S. citizen authorized to work in the U.S.)

There are two ways to file your claim:

  • Online using Job Service North Dakota's UI ICE internet site, or;
  • By telephone using our automated telephone system by calling (701) 328-4995

Please note: The UI ICE internet application and the automated phone system are unavailable daily from 10:00 pm to midnight Central Time due to maintenance. Claims Center staff are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Time.

Learn more

Veterans' Employment Initiative: North Dakota's Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVERs) conduct outreach to employers and engage in advocacy efforts with hiring executives to increase employment opportunities for Veterans and encourage the hiring of Veterans.

Learn more 

Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program: Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP) specialists provide intensive services to meet the employment needs of disabled (and other eligible) Veterans, with the maximum emphasis directed toward servicing those who are economically or educationally disadvantaged, including homeless Veterans and Veterans with barriers to employment.

Learn more 

Job Service North Dakota: Job Service North Dakota has a Veterans' Employment team which provides individualized services to help Veterans overcome employment barriers and develop a plan for employment. The team works to:

  • Help put military skills and experience into understandable civilian terms
  • Guide Veterans in their job search and develop an employment plan for their specific needs
  • Provide up-to-date labor market information
  • Provide guidance for career and educational choices
  • Make referrals to training opportunities
  • Offer assistance and advice on developing an effective resume
  • Offer assistance and advice on taking the stress out of a job interview
  • Provide referrals to supportive resources.

Contact your local Veterans' Employment Team Member

The service also provides a community service directory to search for services in specific areas.

Eligibility: The service is eligible to:

  • A Veteran who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable
  • A Spouse of a Veteran who is totally and permanently disabled, missing in action, or died from a service-connected disability.

Learn more

Back to top


Department of Transportation (NDDOT) Benefits:

ND Driver's License: Veterans can request to have a "V" indicator on their North Dakota driver license to show that they are a Veteran of the US military services. Veterans need to bring a copy of their discharge papers (DD214) to a Veteran Service Officer. The Veteran Service officer will verify the individual qualifies as a Veteran in accordance with NDCC 37-01-40 (2), complete and sign the SFN 59980 "Verification of Veteran Status for Veteran Indicator on Driver's License" form. The Veteran will bring this form to the ND Driver's License Site Location when he/she renews the driver's license. If renewal is not due, the $8.00 duplicate fee will be charged.

Learn more

Veteran & Military License Plates: The following is a list of military and Veteran-specific license plates available in North Dakota. For a list of applicable laws under the North Dakota Century Code, please click here.

If a personalized plate is desired (and the plate is able to be personalized), please click here to check availability.

Gold Star License Plates: The director (DOT) may issue distinctive number plates to a surviving Spouse, parent, including stepmother, stepfather, parent through adoption, and foster parent who stands or stood in loco parentis, grandparents, Child, including step-Child and Child through adoption, and sibling, including half-brother and half-sister, of a member of the armed forces of the United States, who died while serving on active duty during a time of military conflict. Payment of an initial fee of $15, of which $10 is to be deposited in the highway tax distribution fund and $5 is to be deposited in the Veterans' cemetery maintenance fund. One set of plates may be issued to an eligible Family member. A qualified applicant may choose a personalized plate not exceeding a total of five (5) characters and spaces. This requires a fee of $25 per year in addition to the Veteran plate fee and the annual registration fee. To apply, applications must complete SFN 59183 Application for North Dakota Gold Star Plate.

Learn more

Prisoner of War (POW) License Plates: (NDCC 39-04-10.5) A Veteran, while serving in the U.S. armed forces was a POW and has received an honorable discharge from the U.S. armed forces, may be issued a special number license plate. On the death of the Veteran, the surviving Spouse may retain the numbered plate as an active plate until such time as they remarry. However, the surviving Spouse is not entitled to the special registration rate for former POW's. If the surviving Spouse remarries, the plates must be surrendered within 30 days; if requested, a free commemorative plaque will be issued by the Division as a keepsake for the Family.
Eligibility: To be eligible, the Veteran's Affairs Office must be able to certify the applicant was a POW. SFN 2872 Application for Certificate of Title form must be completed, signed, and returned with the certification letter and annual $5.00 license fee.

Learn more

National Guard License Plates: Distinctive numbered plates may be issued to members of the National Guard or retired after 20 years or more of service from the National Guard. The Adjutant General shall certify those members of the National Guard eligible to receive the plates. SFN 2872 Application for Certificate of Title form must be completed, signed and returned with the form from the National Guard and the one-time $5.00 fee. Personalized plates are available with a maximum of four characters (to include spaces); an additional $25.00 fee is required. (NDCC 39-04-10.8)

Learn more

Purple Heart License Plates: Available to those recipients of the Purple Heart award as listed on the DD214 or Certificate. There is an initial fee of $15.00 ($5 goes to Veterans Cemetery maintenance fund) to receive the Veterans' Number plates, with an annual fee thereafter of $10.00 ($5.00 goes to Veterans Cemetery trust fund and $5 to Veterans Cemetery maintenance fund). Personalized Veterans' Number plates are an annual fee of $25.00 in addition to the annual fee of $10.00 and the yearly license fees. The SFN 51628 Application for ND Veterans Number Plate form must be completed, signed by the county Veterans' Service Officer verifying eligibility, and returned with appropriate fees. (NDCC 39-04-10.10)

Learn more

Disabled American Veteran License Plates: Qualified Veterans are eligible for two (excise tax) exempt vehicles licensed with the DAV license plate at a time. To be eligible, the Department of Veteran Affairs office must sign a letter stating the applicant is 100% service-related disabled or attesting eligibility under Public Law 663 of the 79th Congress. This plate is also available as a Mobility Impaired plate (includes handicapped symbol). To be eligible, the applicant must qualify under both DAV and Mobility Impaired qualifications.

The SFN 2872 Application for Certificate of Title form must be completed, signed, and returned with the certification letter. There is no annual license fee. (NDCC 39-04-18 (2) (j))

Learn more

Veterans License Plates: Individuals eligible for interment in the North Dakota Veterans' Cemetery qualify for these plates (eligibility for burial information). There is an initial fee of $15.00 ($5 goes to Veterans Cemetery maintenance fund) to receive the Veterans' Number plates, with an annual fee thereafter of $10.00 of which $5.00 goes to Veterans Cemetery trust fund and $5 to Veterans Cemetery maintenance fund. Personalized Veterans' Number plates are an annual fee of $25.00 in addition to the annual fee of $10.00 and the yearly license fees. The SFN 51628 Application for ND Veterans Number Plate form must be completed, signed by a County Veterans' Service Officer verifying eligibility, and returned with appropriate fees. (NDCC 39-04-10.10)

Learn more

Yellow Ribbon Plates: The Yellow Ribbon "Support our Veterans Plates" available to the general public through the North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs. You do NOT need to be a Veteran to apply for these plates. There is an initial fee of $25, of which $15 will be donated to the North Dakota Veterans Emergency Needs Charitable Fund. You can personalize the plates for an additional $25 with up to 5 characters.

The Impact Foundation North Dakota Veterans Emergency Needs Charitable Fund was established to provide resources for emergency needs of North Dakota Veterans and their eligible dependents. Emergency needs of Veterans may include but are not limited to dental care, vision, hearing, transportation for medical treatment and other special needs as approved by the Fund Advisors. The SFN 54397 Application for Organization Plate form must be completed, signed and returned with appropriate fees. The Foundation name must be included in the 'Name of Organization' block.

Learn more

Back to top


Health and Insurance Benefits:  

Group Insurance: ND NGA offers $1,000 SSLI at no cost to the member and a variety of plans with up to $1,000,000 of coverage for Service members, Spouses and Children. This insurance can be continued upon separation. New members of the National Guard are eligible for $10,000 SSLI coverage at no cost for the first year of service.
Eligibility: Member of Army/Air National Guard.

New Recruits: Enrollment for the no-cost $10,000 for the first year must occur within the first 90 days.

Learn more 

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
  • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
  • Family Members Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection (TSGLI)
  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI)
  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

  Learn more

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders
  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more 

Workers Compensation: The North Dakota national guard is authorized to pay medical expenses for national guard members who are called to state active duty when the member sustains an injury or illness that is found to have occurred within the line of duty and is not covered by workforce safety and insurance and when such treatment occurred while on state active duty. Payments shall be made only for costs not covered by other health insurance. Coverage of qualifying medical expenses is subject to rules set forth by the office of the adjutant general and subject to available funds.
Eligibility: Injury occurs while serving on State Active Duty and is determined to be line of duty.  

Learn more 

Injury/Death Benefits: Workers Compensation equivalent to State employees.
Eligibility: Injury/Death occurs while serving on State Active Duty.

Back to top


Parks and Recreation Benefits:

Operation Black Hills Cabin: The purpose of Operation Black Hills Cabin is to offer a week-long respite to qualifying wounded Veterans and their Families from the Iraq/Afghanistan campaign at little to no expense to them (except for transportation). The operation offers a variety of events throughout the year, such as cook-offs, hikes, and fishing tournaments.
Eligibility: The following are eligible for this benefit:

  • Veterans with military Service in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Enduring Freedom (OEF), or New Dawn (OND). Veterans must have a 30% or greater disability rating from the Dept. of Veterans' Affairs (copies of DD214 or current PCS orders and VA award letter are required with application).
  • Medal of Honor recipients from OEF, OIF, or OND.
  • Warrior Transition Unit members (with required documentation).

To apply, please visit the website for an application.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran Fishing License: Resident Veterans that are rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs as 50% or more disabled may obtain a fishing license for $5.00 plus a $1.00 fee to purchase the certificate.
Eligibility: Proof of disability required.

Totally or Permanently Disabled Hunting License: A resident disabled Veteran can get a combined general game, habitat stamp, small game, and fur-bearer license for $3.00, with an additional $1.00 fee to purchase the resident certificate. Veterans must have a 100% service-connected disability or have an extra-schedular rating to bring the total ratio to 100%.
Requires VA proof of disability or North Dakota DAV/POW license plates.

Learn more

Free Annual Permit to State Parks for Disabled Veterans/POWs: North Dakota Veterans with a 50% or greater, service-related disability and former POWs are eligible for one free annual permit. This program is available to North Dakota residents only, with VA proof of disability or status, or a North Dakota DAV/POW license plate.

Discounted Annual Permit to State Parks for Disabled Veterans: North Dakota Veterans with service related disabilities up to a 50% rating are eligible to receive an annual permit for $20. This program is available to North Dakota residents only.
Requires VA proof of disability or North Dakota DAV/POW license plates.

Learn more

Active duty Service Members Deer Licensing provisions: A resident of North Dakota who is a member of the United States Armed Forces stationed outside this state, who shows proof of North Dakota residency, including a driver's license number or a non-driver photo identification number from this state, and who pays the appropriate licensing fee, is eligible to be issued a deer gun season license without having to participate in the lottery.

North Dakota residents who were on federal active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces under Title 10, stationed outside of the state during the previous year's deer gun season, and who received the expeditionary medal or campaign badge, and submit an application and appropriate license fee by the deer gun application deadline, are eligible for one white-tailed deer gun license in the unit of their choice, without having to participate in the lottery. Applications received after the deer gun deadline will be issued licenses based on availability.

Hunting Fishing or Trap without a License: Upon presentation of valid leave papers and a valid North Dakota operator's license, a resident who is on leave and is an active duty as a member of the United States armed forces or the United States merchant marine may hunt small game, fish, or trap during the open season without a license.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Family Assistance Centers (FACs): FAC's are operated regionally throughout North Dakota. Their purpose is to provide support and assistance to Service members and Families by offering information about military, federal, state, and local resources. These include:

  • ID Card and DEERS enrollment
  • TRICARE medical/dental assistance
  • Financial services and referrals, to include emergency financial assistance
  • Mental/Emotional Health referrals
  • Community Information and Referral
  • Legal Referral
  • Local assistance to Family Readiness groups

Assistance is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-242-4940. For a map of FAC locations, please click here.

Learn more

Military Operations Adjusted Compensation: Each National Guard or Reserve Component resident Veteran mobilized stateside is eligible for $50 for each month or major fraction thereof for state-side duty or mobilization train up.

Each National Guard, Reserve, or Active Component resident Veteran of Foreign Service who was activated under Title 10 orders is eligible for:

  • $100 for each month or major fraction thereof if receiving hazardous duty pay, or $50 per month or major portion thereof if not receiving hazardous duty pay.
  • If the Veteran received a Purple Heart for Foreign Service, the Veteran is entitled to a payment of $2500 in lieu of the monthly payments.
  • If the Veteran is deceased, the Veteran's beneficiary is entitled to any payments to which the Veteran would have been entitled.
  • In the case of a Veteran who died as a result of active service during the period of service, the beneficiary is entitled to a payment of $5000 in lieu of the monthly payments.

Applications for adjusted compensation may be filed with the Adjutant General not later than six months after the end of the mobilization period of service. (NDCC 37-28-01)

*Note: Recent legislation has been passed extending this benefit to all eligible Service members from 2011 to 2017

Learn more

Free Passage Through Toll Gates, Bridges, and Ferries: Any person belonging to the military forces of this state, going to or returning from any parade, encampment, drill, or meeting which the person may be required by law to attend, must be allowed to pass free through all toll gates and over all toll bridges and ferries, with the person's conveyance and with any military property of this state in the person's charge, if the person is in uniform or if the person presents an order for duty or a certificate of membership in the National Guard. (NDCC 37-01-14)

Learn more

Hardship Assistance Grant: The purpose of this assistance is to provide money to give aid and comfort to Veterans [as defined in NDCC 37-14] and their Spouses, or un-remarried Widow/Widowers of eligible Veterans.
Eligibility: The individual must have an unmet need of dental and/or denture work (routine and maintenance procedures are not covered), optical, hearing, transportation (for medical treatment), special needs for medical reasons, housing deposit, other emergency needs approved by the Commissioner of Veterans Affairs.

The following requirements need to be met to apply (DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED):

  1. Qualify as Veteran or eligible dependent as defined in NDCC 37-14-01.1.
  2. Income and asset level. Income will be based on established indexes such as pension rates and poverty guidelines which will be reviewed annually.
  3. Must be a North Dakota resident for one year prior to application date.
  4. Medical bills showing all work completed, and all payments and credits must be received by the department within 60-90 days of the date of approval.

Contact your Veterans Service Officer to apply

Learn more

Service Dogs for Veterans Suffering from PTSD: North Dakota Veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may now apply for a grant which may provide them with a specially trained Service Dog. These service dogs are trained right here in North Dakota to assist Veterans who suffer from PTSD. The dogs provide the special needs of the Veteran they are to serve whether it is calming anxiety attacks, providing comfort and assurance in public settings or waking a Veteran from a nightmare. PTSD service dogs have proven to greatly assist Veterans in returning to a more normal life and reintegrating back into their community. Service Dogs for America has several of these highly trained service dogs ready to be placed with a Veteran in need.

To meet the minimum qualifications for a PTSD service dog the Veteran must be a North Dakota resident, have a diagnosis of PTSD, be engaged in counseling or therapy and have a doctor's recommendation for a PTSD Service Dog. All qualified Veterans are urged to apply. The grant is made possible by the 63rd ND Legislative Assembly and private donors.

To learn more or to submit an application, visit  Service Dogs for America, download the Preliminary Applicationview the brochure, or contact the executive director at 701-685-5009 or

Learn more 


Veterans Aid Loan Program: The Veterans Aid Fund is a permanent fund to be used solely for making loans to Veterans or their Widow/Widowers. The maximum loan amount is $5,000.00. The interest rate is 8% per annum. Time limit can be from six months to 48 months. One-half of the interest paid will be refunded provided the loan is repaid under the agreed upon terms. The Department has the right to take legal action to collect on delinquent loans.
To qualify, the applicant is required to be:

  • a peacetime Veteran
  • a wartime Veteran
  • National Guard with active duty [as defined in NDCC 37-14]
  • or un-remarried Widow/Widower of eligible Veteran


  • be a resident of North Dakota for at least one yearand have the financial ability to make payments.

Contact your Veterans Service Officer to apply.

Learn more

North Dakota State Veterans Home: The North Dakota Veterans Home, located in Lisbon, North Dakota, consists of 98 basic care and 52 skilled nursing beds. The Veterans Home was established to provide service to Veterans.
To be eligible for admission, Veterans must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Bona fide resident of North Dakota verified 30 day residency;
  • Served in a North Dakota regiment (activated N. D. National Guard);
  • Entered the Armed Forces as a North Dakota resident; or
  • Spouse or surviving Spouse of above Veteran.

No Veteran may be considered eligible for residency whose last period of service in the armed services was terminated under dishonorable conditions.

No Veteran may be admitted to the Veterans Home that has been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude, without producing sufficient evidence of subsequent good conduct and reformation of character so as to satisfactory to the board of admissions.

The Basic Care Unit consists of two pods with four households per pod. These are designed for residents that independently care for his/her own needs. Medical and nursing supervision is available. Meals are provided in a central dining room.

The Skilled Care Unit (Nursing Home Care) is the unit in which the resident requires ongoing nursing supervision and/or assistance in one or all areas of physical needs and activities of daily living. Care in this area ranges from total assistance in all care needs to supervision of one or two care needs, depending upon the resident's capabilities. Medical care is available on a regular and frequent, but not continuous, basis. The North Dakota Veterans Home Skilled Unit (Nursing Home Care) is a licensed Medicare/Medicaid provider.

For the complete application process, including downloading forms and priority of admission, please click here.

Learn more

North Dakota Veterans Cemetery: The North Dakota Veteran's Cemetery was established by an act of the 1989 Legislative Assembly. The cemetery was opened in July 1992, and is operated by the Adjutant General of North Dakota. There is no cost to the Veteran for burial, if a Spouse or eligible dependent is to be interred at the cemetery there is a $550.00 interment fee. Every grave will be marked with an upright granite headstone at no cost to the Veteran, non-military Spouse, eligible dependents, and National Guard and Reserve retirees. National Guard and Reserve members with less than 20 years of service and are not on active duty at the time of their death are required to purchase the headstone through the cemetery. A basic grave liner is required, but can be upgraded to a vault. The liner or vault is purchased through the funeral home; they are not provided by the cemetery. There is no vault requirement for cremated remains, whatever urn or container provided will be placed directly into the grave.
Any Veteran of wartime or peacetime service who is eligible for burial in a "National Cemetery", in accordance with VA Publication VA-NCS-IS-1, regardless of state of residency. Length of service in the National Guard and Reserve, for enlisted personnel will be completion of at least one term of enlistment and officers who have completed at least four years of service. All military people interred in the cemetery must have received a discharge shown as: "Honorable", "Under Honorable Conditions" or "General". Undesirable, bad conduct, and any type of discharge other than honorable may or may not qualify the individual for burial, depending upon a determination made by the Adjutant General of North Dakota.

 The eligible Spouse, Widow, or Widower of any person listed above. Normally the Veteran and Spouse (and other eligible dependents of the Veteran) will be interred in the same gravesite or an adjoining gravesite, as appropriate.

Learn more

Presidential Memorial Certificate: A Presidential Memorial Certificate is an engraved paper certificate, signed by the current President, to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased Veterans.
Eligibility: Eligible recipients include the next of kin and loved ones of honorably discharged deceased Veterans. More than one certificate may be provided. Presidential Memorial Certificate Request form 40-0247.

Learn more

Veterans Hospital Transportation Program: The Veterans' transportation system is designed to aid Veterans in transportation to a Veterans Hospital. Currently there are five cost -free vans on scheduled routes bringing Veterans to Fargo, North Dakota or Miles City, Montana. The cost of this program is underwritten in part by the Post War Trust Fund. Veterans who wish to take advantage of this service need to contact the Veterans Hospital Transportation Program and coordinate transportation or call 1-800-920-9595 to arrange your transportation needs at least one week in advance to ensure space.

Learn more

Members of National Guard Exempt from Civil Process:  No person belonging to the active militia of this state may be arrested on any warrant, except for treason or felony, while going to, remaining at, or returning from any place which the person may be required to attend for military duty.

Learn more 

Record of Veterans: The adjutant general shall initiate and coordinate the collecting of information on North Dakotans who served in a theatre or area of armed conflict since the Vietnam conflict. The adjutant general shall make the information available to the public in a manner that the adjutant general deems advisable.

Learn more 

Honoring as Veterans individuals who have performed military service: An individual who has performed service in the national guard, the armed forces reserve of the United States, or active duty armed forces of the United States, has received an honorable discharge from service, and is not otherwise included within the definition of a Veteran under federal or state law is, at the completion of that individual's term of service, honored as a Veteran, but is not entitled to any benefits or preferences available to Veterans by reason of this section.

Learn more 


Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in North Dakota:

Veterans Health Administration
VA Medical Center
Fargo: Fargo VA Healthcare System, 2101 N. Elm, 800-410-9723

Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Bismarck: Bismarck VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Gateway Mall, 2700 State St, Ste F, 701-221-9152, Fax: 701-221-0918
Devils Lake: Devils Lake VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 1031 7th St NE, 701-662-5801 / Fax: 701-662-5848
Dickinson: Dickinson VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 528 21st St W. Ste F, 701-483-1850
Grafton: Grafton VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, ND St Developmental Ctr, Health Service Bldg, West Sixth St, 701-352-4059, Fax: 701-352-9290
Grand Forks: Grand Forks VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 3221 32nd Ave South, Ste 700, 701-335-4380
Jamestown: Jamestown VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 2422 20th St SW, 701-952-4787
Minot: Minot VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 5th Medical Group, 10 Missile Ave, 701-727-9800, Fax: 701-727-9804
Williston: Williston VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 205 Main St, 701-572-2470

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Bismarck: Bismarck Vet Center, 619 Riverwood Dr, Ste 105, 701-224-9751, Fax: 701-223-5150
Fargo: Fargo Vet Center, 3310 Fiechtner Dr, Ste 100, 701-237-0942, Fax: 701-237-5734
Minot: Minot Vet Center, 1400 20th Ave SW, Ste 2, 701-852-0177, Fax: 701-852-5225

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Fargo: Fargo Regional Benefit Office, 2101 Elm St, 701-451-4600, Fax: 701-451-4690

Learn more

North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs
4201 38th Street South
Suite 104
Fargo, ND 58104-7535
Phone: 701-239-7165; toll-free 866-634-8387
Fax: 701-239-7166

2718 Gateway Avenue
Suite 303
Bismarck, ND 58503
Phone: 701-328-5446
Fax: 701-328-5468

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations in North Dakota

Please see the North Dakota Resource Locator for additional information


Active Duty

Air Force
Grand Forks AFB
Minot AFB

National Guard
North Dakota Army National Guard
North Dakota Air National Guard

119th Wing


Back to top

Document Review Date: 30 May 2016