State / Territory Benefits -  New Hampshire


State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Division of Motor Vehicles Benefits
Health Insurance Benefits
Parks & Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities

Summary: The State of New Hampshire offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including Property Tax Exemptions, War Bonuses, State Employment Preferences, Education and Tuition Assistance, Special Vehicle Tags and Parking privileges, State Park Admission benefits, as well as Hunting and Fishing License privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: No state income tax.

Retirement Income: Not taxed.

Retired Military Pay: Not taxed.

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: Not subject to federal or state taxes

Military SBP/ RCSBP/RSFPP: Not taxed.

Learn more

Property Tax Credits and Exemptions: Property owned and operated by certain Veterans' organizations or departments, local chapters or posts shall be exempt from taxation.

Certain wartime Veterans, their Spouses or Widows may be eligible for a property tax credit of $50 ($100 if both are eligible Veterans). Cities/towns may vote to adopt a higher tax credit of up to $500 (See RSA 72:28).

The Widow of a Veteran who was killed while on active duty in the military may be eligible for a tax credit of between $700 and $2000 on real estate or personal property (See RSA 72:29-a).

There is a $700 tax credit on real estate occupied as principal place of abode by a permanently and totally disabled service-connected Veteran, double amputee or paraplegic or un-remarried surviving Spouse. Cities and towns may vote to adopt a higher tax credit of up to $2000 (See RSA 72:35).

A permanently and totally disabled Veteran who is blind, paraplegic or a double amputee as a result of service connection and who owns a specially adapted homestead acquired with the assistance of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or with proceeds from the sale of any previous homestead acquired with the assistance of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, shall be exempt from all taxation on the homestead. The Veteran's surviving Spouse shall also be exempt from all taxation on the homestead (See RSA 72:36-a).

Learn more

Back to top


Education Benefits:

National Guard Tuition Assistance: The New Hampshire National Guard provides a number of programs and incentives for Guard members to continue their education. These programs include tuition waiver and assistance programs, scholarships, living expense assistance, and free specialized training. The chart below breaks down the basic benefits and what's involved in each.

Tuition Waiver

Tuition Assistance

NHNG Scholarship

GI Bill


Free tuition while attending a NH State College or University

(based on eligibility requirements)

$4000 or 16 Credits per fiscal year (October 1st to September 30th)

Scholarship awarded annually & paid directly to the school

Benefits Comparison


You must first apply for Federal Tuition Assistance

You must apply for Federal Tuition Assistance each semester or term.

1.   Complete the scholarship application

2.   Wait for notification letter indicating money awarded

3. Provide a copy of the letter to your school

Visit the VA's GI Bill Website


Only applies to New Hampshire State College and Universities, not private or out-of-state schools.

1.  Per-credit cap of $250.

2.  May only be for one degree or certification at each level

Only applies to public and private schools in New Hampshire, not out-of-state institutions.

Visit the VA's GI Bill Website


1. Download and complete the NHNG Tuition Waiver Form

2. Contact the Education Office at 603-225-1312

Apply Online for Tuition Assistance

Contact the Education Office at 603-225-1312

1.  Download and complete the NHNG Scholarship Application.

2.  Contact the Education Officer to turn in the application.

Contact the Education Office at 603-225-1382


Learn more

Free Tuition for Children of Missing-in-Action: The Child of a missing person who was domiciled in this State serving in or with the U.S. Armed Forces after February 28, 1961, is entitled to free tuition at vocational-technical college so long as said missing person is so reported/listed as missing, captured, etc. (See RSA 188-F:15).

Free Tuition for Children of Killed-in-Action: The Children of military members who die in service during wartime, and Children of certain wartime Veterans who die from a service-connected disability, may qualify for free tuition at New Hampshire public institutions of higher learning. A scholarship for board, room, rent, books and supplies up to $2500 per year for a period of no more than 4 years at such educational institutions may be furnished to these Children if they are in need of financial assistance. (See RSA 193:19, RSA 193:20, RSA 193:21.).

Learn more

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.
  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.
  • Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.
  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.
  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.
  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.
  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact:
Kathleen Murphy, New Hampshire MIC3 Commissioner
Superintendent, Hampton School District
Address: 6 Marston Way, Hampton, NH 03842
Phone: 603-926-4560

Learn more

Back to top


Employment Benefits:

State Active Duty Pay, Travel, and Lodging: State active duty pay is based on the DoD pay chart, with a minimum of not less than the Federal per-diem rate for New Hampshire (currently $116.00 - for latest rates, visit the GSA Per Diem Rates page). E-7 and above will receive Federal pay based on rank. NHNG Soldiers and Airmen receive pay for each calendar day of service, regardless of tour length and report time. NHNG Soldiers and Airmen who are required to use personal vehicles during state active duty will be reimbursed for mileage at the maximum allowable rate by the IRS (the current rate is $.50 per mile). Guard members may use private vehicles by exception only.

NHNG Soldiers and Airmen will be reimbursed for meals as follows:

Breakfast: $8.00
Lunch: $12.00
Dinner: $21.00

*Note: The above meal rates are for in-state travel; out-of-state travel rates follow   GSA Per Diem guidelines.

When meals are provided by the agency receiving NHNG support, reimbursement is not authorized.

NHNG Soldiers and Airmen are authorized reimbursement for lodging expenses incurred during state active duty. Lodging at civilian establishments requires the approval of the NHNG Joint Operations Task Force Commander or State Business Administrator.

Learn more

Military Leave: State employees receive 15 days of military leave with pay per year.
Member of any reserve component of the armed forces.

Learn more

Employment Preference: Preference shall be given in appointing employees of the State Liquor Commission (see RSA 176:10), in selecting members of the Office of Veterans Services (see RSA 115:1), in appointing the Director of the Office of Veterans Services (see RSA 115:4), in appointing the Commandant and employees of the New Hampshire Veterans Home (see RSA 119:6), and Veterans or their un-remarried Widows and Spouses of disabled Veterans in public departments and/or public works of state and local units (see RSA 283:4, RSA 283:9).

Learn more

Veteran's Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or
  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or
  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or
  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or
  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

  Learn More

Veteran Reemployment to Previously Held Position: Reemployment of Veterans by towns and other political subdivisions upon application shall be made within 90 days after the Veteran is discharged from active military service. (See RSA 97:1, RSA 97:2, RSA 97:3).

Learn more

Veterans Reemployment Rights: Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) prohibits employment discrimination against a person on the basis of past military service, current military obligations, or intent to serve. An employer must not deny initial employment, reemployment, retention in employment, promotion, or any benefit of employment to a person on the basis of a past, present, or future service obligation. In addition, an employer must not retaliate against a person because of an action taken to enforce or exercise any USERRA right or for assisting in an USERRA investigation.

The pre-service employer must reemploy Service members returning from a period of service in the uniformed services if those Service members meet five criteria:

  • The person must have been absent from a civilian job on account of service in the uniformed services;
  • The person must have given advance notice to the employer that he or she was leaving the job for service in the uniformed services, unless such notice was precluded by military necessity or otherwise impossible or unreasonable;
  • The cumulative period of military service with that employer must not have exceeded five years;
  • The person must not have been released from service under dishonorable or other punitive conditions; and
  • The person must have reported back to the civilian job in a timely manner or have submitted a timely application for reemployment, unless timely reporting back or application was impossible or unreasonable.

USERRA establishes a five-year cumulative total of military service with a single employer, with certain exceptions allowed for situations such as call-ups during emergencies, reserve drills, and annually scheduled active duty for training. USERRA also allows an employee to complete an initial period of active duty that exceeds five years. Employers are required to provide to persons entitled to the rights and benefits under USERRA a notice of the rights, benefits, and obligations of such persons and such employers under USERRA.

In addition Individuals performing military duty of more than 30 days may elect to continue employer sponsored health care for up to 24 months; however, they may be required to pay up to 102 percent of the full premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the Service member had remained employed. USERRA pension protections apply to defined benefit plans and defined contribution plans as well as plans provided under federal or state laws governing pension benefits for government employees. For purposes of pension plan participation, vesting, and accrual of benefits, USERRA treats military service as continuous service with the employer.

The U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS) is authorized to investigate and resolve complaints of USERRA violations. For assistance in filing a complaint, or for any other information on USERRA, contact VETS at 1-866-4-USA-DOL or visit The U.S. Department of Labor Veterans' Employment and Training Service website. An interactive online USERRA Advisor is also available and can be viewed here.
Eligibility: Veterans and members of the active and Reserve components of the U.S. armed forces.

Learn more 

Training: Qualified Veterans will be granted priority in obtaining training that is funded in whole or part by the federal government or the State of New Hampshire. (See RSA 115-B).

Learn more

Peddler's License: Service-connected disabled Veterans and their unremarried Spouse may be exempt from fees for a Peddler's License. (See RSA 320:11).

Learn more

Back to top


Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Compensation: New Hampshire's Department of Employment Security administers the Unemployment Insurance System, providing temporary assistance to unemployed New Hampshire workers.

Your claim for benefits becomes effective the calendar week in which you complete the application. The only exception is if you work less than full-time and file your application within 3 days of your last day of work.

In New Hampshire, the maximum Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA) is $427 per week for total unemployment. The minimum WBA is $32. The Maximum Benefit Amount (MBA) an individual may collect is 26 times their WBA. If filing for total benefits, this would be equal to 26 weeks. These weeks do not need to be consecutive, but do need to be in a single Benefit Year. Benefit Year means the one-year period beginning with the first day of the week in which an individual files a claim for benefits.

Claims may be filed online through the New Hampshire Unemployment Insurance System (NHUIS)

Learn more

Priority of Service for Veterans and Eligible Spouses: Veterans and eligible Spouses are given priority of service for the receipt of employment, training and placement services in all state workforce programs funded by the Department of Labor. This means that those Veterans or eligible Spouses, who meet all the eligibility requirements for a program or service, receive access to that program or service either earlier than others who are not eligible for priority of service, or if resources are limited, the Veteran or eligible Spouse receives access to the service or resource instead of or before others. Veterans and eligible Spouses are encouraged to identify themselves as such when inquiring about any NHES programs or services, or upon visiting an NHWorks office.
Eligibility: Veterans who served for a period of not less than 90 days, and who were released or discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. Service includes full-time duty in the National Guard or Reserve component. Eligible Spouses include:

  • The Spouse of any person who died of a service-connected disability; OR
  • The Spouse of any member of the Armed Forces serving on active duty who, at the time of application for USDOL employment and training services, has, for a period longer than 90 days either been declared missing in action, or has been captured by a hostile force while in the line of duty, or has been forcibly detained or interned while on active duty by a foreign government or power; OR
  • The Spouse of any person who has a permanent, total disability resulting from a service-connected disability; OR
  • The Spouse of a Veteran who died while a disability so evaluated was in existence.

Learn more

Back to top


Division of Motor Vehicles Benefits:

"Veteran" Indicator on Driver License/ID Card: RSA 263:40 allows a Veteran with an honorable discharge to request a Veteran indicator on their New Hampshire Driver License, Commercial Driver License or Non-Driver ID card for the purposes of identification for receiving benefits and services under New Hampshire law.
Eligibility: To obtain a Veteran indicator, please fill out the appropriate application (Driver License or Non-Driver ID or Commercial Driver License ), and bring it to any one of the DMV locations around the State, along with proof of Honorable Discharge, as defined in RSA 21:50.

If you wish to add this indicator during your renewal, there will be no additional cost; however, if you wish to add the indicator outside of your renewal period, please be advised that there is a $3.00 fee for the replacement license or ID card.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran Driver License Fee Exemption: No fee shall be charged for a motor vehicle operator's license for a Veteran who is an amputee or paraplegic and who received a motor vehicle from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs nor for a Veteran who has been classified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being permanently and totally disabled due to service connected disability. (See RSA 263-42).

Learn more

Registration Fee Exemption for Blind/Handicapped Veterans: No fee shall be charged for a permit to register a motor vehicle owned by a Veteran who has been classified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as being totally blind as a result of a service connected disability. (See RSA 261:159).

No fee shall be charged for a permit to register a motor vehicle owned by a war Veteran who is an amputee, paraplegic or who suffered the loss of use of a limb from a service connected cause as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs when the vehicle is received or a cash settlement in lieu thereof is received from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (See RSA 261:157).

Learn more

Parking Benefits for Disabled Veteran License Plates: Any motor vehicle bearing special disabled Veteran license plates with the international accessibility symbol shall be allowed free parking time in any city or town, if the vehicle is under the direct control of the owner. (See RSA 265:73).

Learn more

Military License Plates: Eligible Service members or Veterans may obtain military-themed license plates. The process must begin at the town or city level. The second part of the process is the state transaction; however, the Town/City Clerk may be able to complete the state transaction for an additional fee. Please consult the appropriate town/city clerk's office for more information.

For images and examples of all New Hampshire license plates, please click here.

Learn more

New Hampshire National Guard Plates: Distinctive License plates are available to current or retired New Hampshire National Guard members. (See RSA 261-91)

Veterans License Plate: Veterans honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces may be issued special license plates. (See RSA 261:87-b).

Disabled Veteran License Plate: Honorably discharged Veterans deemed to be totally and permanently disabled due to their service connected disability are allowed one (1) disabled Veteran plate at no charge. (See RSA 261:86).

Active Duty Military License Plate: Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces may be issued a special license plate. (See RSA 261:91).

Paraplegic or Amputee Veterans: An amputee or paraplegic classified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability who owns a motor vehicle received from or replaced by the Department of Veterans Affairs may be furnished a special license plate without charge for one motor vehicle. (See RSA 261:86-a).

Purple Heart License Plate: Veteran must have their paperwork indicating that they were honorably discharged and were awarded the Purple Heart. May be issued one set of special license plates upon payment of registration fees. Veteran can only have one Purple Heart passenger plate and one Purple Heart motorcycle plate. (See RSA 261:86-d).

Pearl Harbor Survivor License Plate: Honorably discharged Service members may be issued one set of special license plates upon payment of registration fees and satisfactory proof of these circumstances. The plates shall be transferable upon death to the surviving Spouse of the Pearl Harbor survivor. The surviving Spouse shall be entitled to the plate as long as he or she lives, unless he or she remarries. (See RSA 261:86-e).

POW License Plates: Special license plates are available without charge to Veterans who are former Prisoners of War (POWs). Only one plate allowed per person. The plate shall be transferable upon death to the surviving Spouse of the prisoner of war. The surviving Spouse shall be entitled to the plate as long as he or she lives, unless he or she remarries. (See RSA 261:86-c).

Veterans with Walking Disabilities License Plates: Special license plates may be issued for motor vehicles owned by individuals with walking disabilities. (See RSA 261:88).

Learn more

Back to top


Health and Insurance Benefits:

Group Insurance: Term Life insurance for New Hampshire Army National Guard through the Militia Insurance Trust (MIT) offers over $1,000,000 (through a combination of SSLI plans) for member; $20,000 for Spouse and $15,000 for dependent. New recruits are eligible for $10,000 SSLI coverage at no cost for the first year of service. Enrollment must occur within 90 days after joining the National Guard.
New Hampshire Army National Guard members.

Learn more 

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders
  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

  Learn more

Workers Compensation: State Active Duty is covered under worker's compensation.
New Hampshire National Guard members.

Learn more

Injury/Death Benefits: Provided through worker's compensation for State Active Duty.
New Hampshire National Guard members.

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
  • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
  • Family Members Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection (TSGLI)
  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI)
  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

  Learn more  

Back to top


Parks and Recreation Benefits:

Hunting and Fishing Privileges: Free perpetual Fish and Game License.
Honorably discharged Veterans who are residents of New Hampshire and who are permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability may be issued a free perpetual Fish and Game License. (See RSA 214:13).

Learn more

Hunting from Motor Vehicles or Boats: Disabled Veterans may hunt from motor vehicles or boats under certain conditions with a proper permit. A $10 administrative fee shall be charged once, upon application to the executive director for such permit. (See RSA 207:7-a).

Learn more

Free Fishing Permits: Patients at the V.A. Medical Center in Manchester, NH, and residents of the NH Veterans' Home may be issued free fishing permits under certain conditions. (See RSA 214:14-h).

Learn more

State Park Admission: NH Veterans with any VA service-connected disability rating shall not be charged a fee for day-use admission to NH state parks. Disabled Veteran license plates issued by the state of NH, or a letter issued by the VA certifying the Veteran suffers from a service-connected disability shall be considered proof of entitlement.

Any active member of a federally-recognized unit of the NH National Guard who is a legal resident of this state and is serving (or who retired) in pay grades E-1 through E-6 shall not be charged a fee for admission to the state park system. (See RSA 216-A:3-g, V).

Learn more

Back to top


Miscellaneous Benefits:

Vietnam War Bonus: Bonus of $100 for those with active service of 90 days or more between August 5, 1964, and August 15, 1973, or those who served in Vietnam between July 1, 1958, and August 5, 1964, and earned the Vietnam Service Medal or the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. To be eligible the Veteran must have been a bona fide resident of New Hampshire at the time of enlistment and have received an honorable discharge. Claims made after August 22, 1977, must be approved by the Adjutant General and the Governor and Executive Council. (See RSA 115-A:3).

Learn more

Persian Gulf War Bonus of $100: Each person who actively served as a member of the armed forces of the United States between August 2, 1990, and November 30, 1995, and who earned the Southwest Asia Service Medal, and who was discharged, released or has a certificate of service, under honorable conditions, and who at the time of entry on such service, and at the time of such service was a bona fide resident of this state shall be entitled to a $100 bonus. However, no individual who has received a Persian Gulf War Bonus payment from another state shall be qualified to receive the NH bonus. Program expired on August 31, 2002, but there are provisions that allow for acceptance of applications after that date. The Persian Gulf War Bonus application must be submitted. (See RSA 115-A:9).

Learn more

Global War on Terrorism Operations Service Bonus of $100: Each person who actively served in any capacity as a member of the uniformed services of the United States on or after September 11, 2001 and on or before a date to be determined by the Secretary of Defense, and who earned the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal; and who was discharged, released or has a certificate of service, with an honorable discharge, or who is missing in action or who was killed in action; and who at the time of entry on such active service, and at the time of such service was a bona fide resident of this state shall be entitled to the benefits provided under this subdivision. Program expired on June 11, 2009, but there are provisions that allow for acceptance of applications after that date. The Global War on Terrorism Bonus application must be submitted. (See RSA 115-A:16).

Learn more

Veteran's Relief: War Veterans and their dependent Families who are unable to support themselves shall be supported at public expense in the town or city in which they live. (See RSA 165:5).

Learn more

New Hampshire Veterans' Home: Located at Tilton, the Veterans' Home is a 250-bed facility, with 100 beds assigned to residents with dementia. The Veterans' Home is an intermediate, long-term care facility populated by nearly 400 staff. NHVH has formalized agreements with both the Department of Veterans Affairs and local hospitals for inpatient hospitalization and specialized outpatient care. (See RSA 119:9).

  • The Veteran must have been honorably discharged from service from any of the armed forces, reserves or the NH Army/Air National Guard. (The Veteran does not have to have served in combat or have a service-connected disability.)
  • The Veteran must have a) been a resident of the State of New Hampshire for at least one (1) year prior to the date of application or b) had New Hampshire listed as their "home of record" on their military discharge papers.
  • There is no minimum age to be eligible to apply for admission.
  • The Veteran's condition(s) must be within the Home's resources and ability to treat and the Veteran may not present potential harm to self or other residents.
  • The Veteran's financial assets must be less than $275,000.00. There is a one-year financial look-back period. If the applicant is married and has a house, the Spouse may keep the house.

Learn more

Burial Benefits: Indigent Veterans may be buried at the expense of the municipality in which the Veteran died. (See RSA 165:16, RSA 165:17).

Learn more

New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery: Veterans, discharged under honorable conditions, and their dependents who meet the criteria of eligibility are eligible for burial in the State Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen, NH. The cemetery opened in September 1997. Contact the NH Adjutant General's Department at (603) 796-2026 for information. (See RSA 110-B-74).
Eligibility: As a general rule, an honorably discharged Veteran, having served on active duty prior to September 7, 1980 is eligible. After September 7, 1980, a Veteran must have served at least 24 months on active duty to be eligible. However, there are exceptions. Members of Reserve Components and Reserve Officers' Training Corps also may be eligible under many different circumstances. All Veterans should apply to determine eligibility by submitting the Pre-Certification Application. Spouses and dependents may also be eligible.

You are encouraged to pre-apply for internment at the Veterans Cemetery. The application process is simple and saves surviving Family members the hardship of finding required documents needed prior to interment. Without an application, the cemetery may have to delay the interment until substantial proof is submitted. The Veteran submitting an application will receive an eligibility certificate, which also may include eligibility for dependents.

Learn more

Copy of Public Records: Copies of public records are provided free when needed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility for benefits. The State Veterans Council and its Veterans Service Officers shall assist Veterans and dependents in obtaining benefits to which entitled under state or federal laws or regulations. (See RSA 115:6, RSA 115:7).

Learn More

Back to top


Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in New Hampshire

Veterans Health Administration
VA Medical Center
Manchester: Manchester VA Medical Center, 718 Smyth Rd, 603-624-4366 / 800-892-8384

Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Conway: Conway Outpatient Clinic, 71 Hobbs St, 800-892-8384 x 3199 / Fax: 603-314-1656
Keene: Keene Outpatient Clinic, 640 Marlboro St, Route 101, 603-358-4900 / Fax: 603-358-4977
Littleton: Littleton Community Based Outpatient Clinic, 264 Cottage St, 603-575-6700 / Fax: 603-575-6778
Portsmouth: Portsmouth Outpatient Clinic, Pease International Tradeport, 302 Newmarket St, 603-624-4366 x3199 / Fax: 603-314-1679
Somersworth: Somersworth Outpatient Clinic, 200 Route 108, 603-624-4366 x 3199 / Fax: 603-841-9038
Tilton: Tilton Outpatient Clinic, 630 West Main St, Suite 400, 603-624-4366 x3199 / Fax: 603-314-1653

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Auburn: 1A RCS Northeast Regional Office, 15 Dartmouth Dr, Suite 202, 603-623-4204 / Fax: 603-623-5541
Gorham: Berlin Vet Center, 515 Main St, Suite 2, 603-752-2571 / Fax: 603-752-3618
Hooksett: Manchester Vet Center, 1461 Hooksett Rd, B6, 603-668-7060 / Fax: 603-666-7404
Keene: Keene Vet Center Outstation, 640 Marlboro Rd (Route 101), 603-358-4950 / Fax: 603-358-4978

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Benefit Office
Manchester: Manchester Regional Benefit Office, Norris Cotton Federal Building, 275 Chestnut St, 800-827-1000

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Manchester: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard/Naval Ambulatory Care Center, Manchester VA Regional Office

Learn more

New Hampshire State Office of Veterans Services
Address: 275 Chestnut St, Rm 517, Manchester 03101-2411
Phone: 603-624-9230 / 1-800-622-9230
Fax: 603-624-9236
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations in New Hampshire

Please see the New Hampshire Resource Locator for additional information


Active Duty

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard

National Guard
New Hampshire Army National Guard

New Hampshire Air National Guard
157th Air Refueling Wing

Back to top


Back to top

Document Review Date: 26 July 2016