State / Territory Benefits - Maryland


State Taxes
Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Benefits
Health Insurance Benefits 
Parks & Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities


Summary: The State of Maryland offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including retired military pay exemptions, education and tuition assistance, employment services, special military vehicle tags, as well as hunting and fishing license privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component and Veteran disability status.

State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

Retired Military Pay: Military retirees or the Spouse of military retiree are able to subtract up to $5,000 of their military retirement income from their federal adjusted gross income before determining their Maryland tax. Beginning with tax year 2015, if you are age 65 or older, you will be able to subtract up to $10,000 of the military retirement income.
Eligibility: The retirement income must have been received as a result of any of the following military service:

  • Induction into the U.S. armed forces for training and service under the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 or a subsequent Act of similar nature.
  • Membership in a reserve component of the U.S. armed forces.
  • Membership in an active component of the U.S. armed forces.
  • Membership in the Maryland National Guard.

The benefit also applies to persons separated from active duty employment with the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or the Coast and Geodetic Survey.

To claim the benefit, complete Form 502 and follow the instructions included in the resident tax booklet for line 13. Be sure to indicate code letter u on line 13. The new Form 502 and resident tax booklet for tax year 2016 will be posted here when they become available.

Learn more

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.

Learn more

Military SBP/ RCSBP/RSFPP: Surviving Spouses receiving military retirement income are able to subtract up to $5,000 of the income from federal adjusted gross income before determining Maryland tax.

Learn more

Maryland Pension Exclusion: If you are 65 or older or totally disabled (or your Spouse is totally disabled), you may qualify for Maryland's maximum pension exclusion of $29,200 under the conditions described in Instruction 13 of the Maryland resident tax booklet. If you're eligible, you may be able to subtract some of your taxable pension and retirement annuity income from your federal adjusted gross income.

This subtraction applies only if:

  • You were 65 or older or totally disabled, or your Spouse was totally disabled, on the last day of the tax year; and
  • You included on your federal return income received as a pension, annuity or endowment from an "employee retirement system." A traditional IRA, a Roth IRA, a simplified employee plan (SEP), a Keogh Plan or an ineligible deferred compensation plan does not qualify.

Complete the Pension Exclusion Computation Worksheet shown in Instruction 13 in the Maryland resident tax booklet. Be sure to report all benefits received under the Social Security Act and/or Railroad Retirement Act on line 3 of the pension exclusion worksheet - not just those benefits you included in your federal adjusted gross income.

To receive the benefit of the pension exclusion, be sure to transfer the amount from line 5 of the worksheet to line 10 of Form 502, and complete the remainder of your return, following the line-by-line instructions.

Learn more

Overseas Pay Subtraction: Legal residents of Maryland and a member of the U.S. armed forces who earned military pay while in active service outside U.S. boundaries or possessions, you may subtract up to $15,000 of that military pay from your taxable income.

If your total military pay exceeds $30,000, you do not qualify for this subtraction. You can use the Military Overseas Income Worksheet included in Instruction 13 of the Maryland tax booklet to compute the subtraction. For more information, see code p of Instruction 13.

Learn more

Property Tax Exemption: A property tax exemption is available to Veterans with a service connected disability rated 100% "permanent and total" by the Veterans Administration may receive a complete exemption from real property taxes on the dwelling house and surrounding yard. These Veterans may apply at any time and do not have to meet the September 1 filing deadline. Un-remarried surviving Spouses also may apply for this exemption. Surviving Spouses of military personnel killed in the line of duty may apply for an exemption. Click here for current application.

Learn more   

Renters' Tax Credit: The Renters' Tax Credit Program provides property tax credits for renters who meet certain requirements. The concept rests on the reasoning that renters indirectly pay property taxes as part of their rent and thus should have some protection, as do homeowners.

The plan is based upon the relationship between rent and income. If the portion of rent attributable to the assumed property taxes exceeds a fixed amount in relation to income, the renter can, under specified conditions, receive a credit of as much as $750. The credit is paid as a direct check from the State of Maryland.

Credits are calculated according to total income, meaning all combined gross household income before deductions. This includes income from all sources, whether or not taxable for federal and state income tax purposes. It also includes Social Security as well as all other retirement benefits.  Click here for the application.

Learn more

Military Spouse Residency Relief Act: The wages earned by a Spouse of a nonresident U.S. Service member may be exempt from Maryland income tax under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, when the Spouse of the Service member is not a legal resident of Maryland. The income tax withholding exemption may be claimed by filing a revised Form MW507 with their employer. Beginning in 2011, you must also complete and attach Form MW507M. For more information, see Employer Withholding Tax Alert: Important Information for Spouses of U.S. Military Service members and Administrative Release 1: Military Personnel and Civilian Spouses.

Learn more

Vessel Excise Tax: Active duty military personnel are exempt from the 5% vessel excise tax for one year. The exemption applies only to vessels currently registered elsewhere and brought into Maryland because of the duty transfer. New purchases are not exempt.

For more information on the vessel excise tax credit visit the Department of Natural Resources website.

Learn more

Back to top


Education Benefits:

State Tuition Waiver (STW): ALL state-supported colleges / universities (Except UMUC) offer tuition waiver for members of the Guard when taking credited, undergraduate or graduate courses. Each institution has their own rules that govern the number of seats available and the number of credit hours eligible for tuition waiver. Classes held at Maryland National Guard locations are available to all Guard members with a 25% or 50% tuition waiver, regardless of space available. Professional courses are not eligible for STW. *Can now be used for Trade Schools in partnership with the Maryland Army National Guard.
Eligibility: To be eligible you must be a member of the Maryland National Guard in good standing and you must have a two-year obligation remaining from the course start date.
* Note: Can be used with State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement, Montgomery G.I. Bill, Federal Tuition Assistance

Learn more  

State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement (STAR): STAR reimburses Maryland Guard Members up to 50% tuition and related fees at all Partners in Education colleges and universities. The Guard member receives tuition reimbursement directly from the State of Maryland.  STAR reimburses students 50% of the cost of tuition and related fees at all Maryland State supported Colleges/Universities, some private institutions and Trade Schools. It is available for undergraduate courses, and may be used in conjunction with State Tuition Waiver, Montgomery GI Bill, and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA). Tuition is reimbursed for grades C and above.
Eligibility: : To be eligible you must be a member of the Maryland National Guard in good standing, must be in pay grade E-1 through O-4 and you must have a two-year obligation remaining from the course start date. .

Learn more

Edward T. Conroy Memorial Scholarship: Aid for tuition and other educational expenses are available for Veterans and their Family members who are attending an institution of higher learning within the borders of the State of Maryland. This award is based on financial need. The amount of your award may not exceed the equivalent annual tuition and mandatory fees, of a resident undergraduate at a four-year public institution of higher education within the University System of Maryland, other than the University of Maryland University College and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, with the highest annual expenses for a full-time resident undergraduate. New and renewal applicants to the program must contact their college's financial aid office for application instructions.
Eligibility: You must be:

  • The Son, Daughter, step-Child or surviving Spouse (who has not remarried) of a member of the United States Armed Forces who died or was 100 percent disabled as a direct result of military service;
  • A Veteran who suffers, as a direct result of military service, a disability of 25 percent or greater and has exhausted or is no longer eligible for federal Veterans' educational benefits;
  • The Son, Daughter, step-Child or surviving Spouse of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack who died as a result of the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the attack on the Pentagon in Virginia, or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in Pennsylvania;
  • A resident who was declared a POW/MIA of the Vietnam Conflict or his/her Son, Daughter or step-Child or surviving Spouse (who has not remarried).

Click here to download the conditions of award renewal.

Learn more

Veterans of the Afghanistan & Iraq Conflicts (VAIC) Scholarship Program: This program is designed to provide financial assistance to United States armed forces personnel who served in the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts, and their sons, daughters, or Spouses who are current high school seniors, and full-time and part-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in an eligible accredited Maryland postsecondary institution.
Uniformed Services Members of the United States who served in Afghanistan, or contiguous air space as defined in federal regulations, on or after October 24, 2001, and before a terminal date to be prescribed by the United States Secretary of Defense; or in Iraq, or contiguous waters or air space as defined in federal regulations, on or after March 19, 2003, and before a terminal date to be prescribed by the United States Secretary of Defense, may apply for a scholarship if they are:

  • A resident of Maryland (residents include active members of the United States Armed Forces, their Spouses and their dependent Children who are stationed in the State of Maryland or whose home of residency is Maryland);
  • A Veteran who served at least 60 days in the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts, as defined above;
  • An active duty member of the Armed Forces who served at least 60 days in the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts, as defined above;
  • A member of a Reserve Component of the Armed Forces of the United States or the Maryland
  • National Guard who was activated as a result of the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts and served at least 60 days, as defined above; or
  • A Son, Daughter, or Spouse of:
    • A Veteran or active duty member of the Armed Forces who is serving or has served in the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts at least 60 days, as defined above; or
    • A member of a Reserve Component of the Armed Forces or Maryland
    • National Guard who was activated as a result of the Afghanistan or Iraq Conflicts and served at least 60 days, as defined above.

How to Apply: The application period begins in January; applications must be received by March 1 of each year. The application process begins online at (application instructions below), with all required supporting documentation, including:

  • A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) filed by March 1 each year
  • Birth Certificate showing the names of both Parents (for Child of a Veteran)
  • Marriage Certificate (for Spouse of a Veteran)
  • Documentation of GI Bill benefits (Ch 33 or Post-9/11)
  • Copy of military orders, DD214, or other discharge paperwork indicating service in Afghanistan or Iraq.

If a DD214 is used, the form must indicate region (Afghanistan/Iraq) and dates served.

Award Amounts: The award amount may not exceed 50% of the annual tuition, mandatory fees, and room & board of a resident undergraduate at the four-year public institution of higher education within the University System of Maryland, other than the University of Maryland University College and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, with the highest annual expenses for a full-time resident undergraduate.

As an example, the 2016-2017 maximum award amounts are shown below:

On Campus: up to $6,844
With Parents: up to $4,334
Off Campus: up to $4,904

Award amounts are tentative and may be adjusted based on verification of Veterans Educational Benefits received under Chapter 33 or Post-9/11 GI Bill.

*Note: Awards are subject to availability of funds.

The total amount of all State awards may not exceed cost of attendance as determined by the school's financial aid office or $19,000, whichever is less.

Learn more

High School Diplomas for WWII and Korean War Veterans: County Boards of Education award high school diplomas to Korea and World War II Veterans who left high school early to enter the Armed Forces. Diplomas are also issued to any Veteran upon successful completion of the General Education Development (GED) test. For more information contact your local Board of Education.

Learn more  

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.
  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment. Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.
  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.
  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.
  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.
  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Primary Point of Contact
Mary L. Gable, Assistant State Superintendent | Office of Academic Policy
Address: 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: 410-767-0473

Michael Linkins, Specialist, School Counseling
Address: 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: 410-767-0769

Learn more  

Back to top


Employment Benefits:

Paid Leave for Military Training: Maryland law provides for up to 15 days of paid military leave "for military training or active military duty in a Reserve unit of the armed forces or in the organized militia" (Maryland State Personnel and Pensions Code, section 9-1104(3)) for State employees.
Eligibility: National Guard or Reserve Service member.  

Learn more  

Veterans Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or
  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or
  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or
  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or
  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

Learn More

Employment Veterans' Preference (State): (Article 7-207) The appointing authority for skilled and professional appointments will award a credit of ten points on any selection test to:

  • An eligible Veteran,
  • The Spouse of an eligible Veteran who has a service-connected disability, or
  • The surviving Spouse of a deceased eligible Veteran.

A credit of two additional points will be given to any Veteran with a service-connected disability or former POW who is applying for a skilled or professional appointment. Current state employees and Veterans who are convicted of a crime after being discharged from or completing military service are not eligible for this benefit.

Eligibility: Veterans with a discharge under honorable conditions are eligible for this benefit. Applicants must provide documentation of service (i.e., DD214); disabled Veterans must also provide documentation of service-connected disability from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For more information about Veteran job opportunities in Maryland visit the Department of Budget and Management website.

Learn more 

State Retirement System Service Credit for Military Service: A Veteran is entitled to receive service credit for military service only on the attainment of 10 years of service credit earned through employment as a member of a state retirement system. An individual may not receive credit for that military service if the individual receives credit for military service from another retirement system for which retirement benefits have been or will be received by the individual. This credit may not exceed 5 years.

A member of the Maryland National Guard or of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States who has not been activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, shall receive service credit at the rate of 4 months for each full year of service with the Maryland National Guard or with a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, not to exceed a total of 36 months.
Eligibility: Veterans that are not eligible for military retirement pension and members of the National Guard or Reserves.

Learn more

Military Personnel Veteran-Owned Small Business No-Interest Loan Program: The Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development (DBED), in consultation with the MDVA, offers no-interest loans via the Military Personnel and Veteran-Owned Small Business No-Interest Loan Program for the following categories:

  • A small business owned by a military reservist or a National Guard member called to active duty

  • A small business that employs a military reservist or National Guard member called to active duty

  • A Veteran small business owner or a Veteran seeking to start a small business

  • A small business that employs a service disabled Veteran

The purpose of the program is to provide financial assistance to small businesses in the categories listed above. The State of Maryland supports Veterans who have served our country, as well as the small businesses that employ them.

No interest loans range from $1,000 to $50,000. Loan maturity will be from one to eight years. The loan repayment period usually will not exceed the useful life expectancy of the equipment to be purchased.

This program is in great demand and has limited funding per year; they have temporarily (as of this posting) discontinued accepting new loan requests. For availability of the program, information about the program, eligibility details and to obtain an application, contact Mark Hendricks, MDVA, at 410-974-2399 or email, at

Learn more

Expedited Licensing Veterans Full Employment Act of 2013: (Veterans Full Employment Act of 2013) The Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing and Commissioner of Financial Regulation are dedicated to assisting recently discharged Veterans and Spouses of currently serving members of the United States Armed Forces, including active duty reservists and members of the National Guard obtain occupational and professional licenses in Maryland. Licenses are offered in the following Career Fields:

Learn more

Back to top

Unemployment Compensation:

Unemployment Insurance: The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation provides unemployment insurance to workers who have lost employment through no fault of their own and are ready, willing and able to work, and actively seeking work.

To file for unemployment insurance, applicants must have the following information to proceed:

  • Your Social Security Number and mailing address.

  • A telephone number where you can be reached.

  • The name, birth date and Social Security Number of all dependents under age 16.

  • If you are not a citizen, proof of your alien status.

  • The business names, addresses, and dates of employment for all employers within the last 18 months. A copy of your W-2 form may be helpful.

  • If you seek work through a union, the hiring hall number is required.

  • If you were in the military within the last 18 months, your DD214, Member 4.

*Note: You cannot file over the Internet if:

  • You have worked and earned wages from a state other than Maryland in the last 18 months (regardless of where you live).

  • You worked for the Federal Government in the last 18 months.

  • You have worked for more than 3 employers in the last 18 months.

  • You have filed for unemployment insurance in another state in the last 18 months.

If you cannot file through this application, click here to contact a Claim Center by telephone or click here for a listing of other states' contact information.

Applicants may begin to file their initial claim by clicking here. For the FAQs page concerning Maryland unemployment insurance, click here.

Learn more

Employment Assistance: The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation offers valuable information on career advancement and education to Veterans. Maryland's One Stop Career Centers are part of a nationwide system that provides information to job seekers and employers. The Career Centers are located in 23 counties and Baltimore City.  

Learn more

Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP): The Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation facilitates the Maryland Jobs for Veterans Program.  Veterans services representatives, specifically Disabled Veterans' Outreach Placement Specialists and Local Veterans' Employment Representatives, commonly referred to as DVOPs and LVERs, provide specialized employment services to Veterans

The DVOP specialists provide targeted services to special disabled Veterans, disabled Veterans, disadvantaged Veterans and Veterans with other barriers to employment. Working with a DVOP, Veterans with disabilities can get a full range of employment and training services.  

LVERs assist Veterans in enrolling in the State of Maryland Workforce Exchange, which assists in the search for current job openings in your community, in the development of resumes to apply on-line for jobs, and in the filing for unemployment insurance. Spouses of military personnel required to relocate due to a transfer in military duty station are eligible to collect unemployment benefits in Maryland.

In addition to helping Veterans find employment and occupational training opportunities, DVOPs and LVERs provide vocational guidance and referrals to Veterans who are experiencing significant barriers to employment.  

Learn more

Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program (HVRP): The purpose of HVRP is to provide services to assist in reintegrating homeless Veterans into meaningful employment within the labor force and to stimulate the development of effective service delivery systems that will address the complex problems facing homeless Veterans.

Learn more

Back to top


Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Benefits:

Vehicle Registration: Active duty military members not establishing residency because they are only temporarily stationed in Maryland do not need to register their passenger vehicle in this State if the vehicle is currently registered in your state of residence.

Active duty military members establishing residency in Maryland are eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state when titling and registering a vehicle within one year of moving to Maryland.

Learn more

Special Vehicle License Plates: The state of Maryland offers over 100 different license plate designs for military personnel and Veterans. These plates range from highlighting campaign medals for theaters of operations (i.e., Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam) to military awards (i.e., Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal), and others. A complete list of Maryland's military plates can be found here.
Eligibility: You can apply for the plates in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail your application to the MVA's Specialty Tag Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying. Applicants must submit the Application for Military-Related License Plates (Form VR-120) and pay a $25.00 fee. Also, applicants must submit a copy of military discharge papers (DD214), a copy of documentation providing proof of an award (e.g., Purple Heart Certificate), or written proof from the National Personnel Records Center that the applicant received the award.

*Note: Vehicles for which the plates are intended must be passenger cars, multi-purpose vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks weighing 10,000 pounds or less.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran License Plates: Disabled Veteran license plates are issued in recognition of a customer's military service-related injuries. They can only be issued free of charge to a Veteran who is 100% disabled. The license plates are printed in two formats: with or without the universal symbol for disability. Paid DAV plates are considered organization plates. You can apply for the plates in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail your application to the MVA's Specialty Tag Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.
Eligibility: Applicants must submit the following:

  • Proof of 100% disability from the Veterans Administration;

  • Application for Maryland Parking Placard/ License Plates for Individuals with a Disability (Form VR-210) (this form is only required when license plates with the universal symbol for a disability are requested.)

Be sure to include the vehicle's information. Only passenger cars, multi-purpose vehicles, or trucks with a one-ton manufacturer's rate capacity or less may display these license plates.

Learn more

Gold Star Plate: The Gold Star Plate is available to individuals who are the surviving Spouse, parent, Child or sibling of a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States and lost his or her life.
Applicant must submit the application for Military Related License Plates (form # VR-120), $25.00 fee, and one of the following: Copy of DD-3 approved by the Department of Defense, copy of casualty report, or, an overseas death certificate issued by the military indicating the name and date of death.

Learn more

CDL Skills Test Waiver for Veterans: To assist Veterans and active-duty personnel who are transitioning to a civilian career, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) adopted regulations which expedite the licensing process for a commercial driver license (CDL). The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will waive the CDL skills test requirements for Veterans discharged within 12 months of application date, and active-duty personnel who meet the specific criteria and wish to obtain a CDL for classes A or B.
Eligibility: The applicants must:

  • Have a good driving record,

  • Have a valid Maryland Class C (non-provisional) noncommercial driver's license, or higher,

  • Have 2 years of operating a military vehicle as part of their job function. The vehicle must represent the commercial motor vehicle that the individual expects to operate after discharge from the military,

  • The commanding officer certifies the Service member's years of operating the military vehicle as well as the type of vehicle operated,

  • Pass the required CDL vision and knowledge tests. The skills test waiver only applies to CDL driver licenses for class A and B.

  • Provide the MVA with a valid U.S. Department of Transportation Physical Card and an exemption or wavier if required.

*Note: Active-duty military personnel stationed outside of Maryland who hold a CDL, and any dependents residing with them who may also hold a CDL, are required to provide the MVA with a copy of their current valid medical documentation as needed or their license/privilege will be cancelled. They are also required to 'self-certify' regarding the type of commercial driving they will be doing.

For additional information, please visit FMCSA's website by clicking here.

Learn more

Absentee Driver's License for MD residents: Active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their dependents who reside with the Service member outside of MD may apply for a renewal, duplicate, or corrected license while absent from MD.
Eligibility: The licensee must request an application mailed to them by calling 410-768-7000 or emailing the MVA. The licensee must then fax in the application, along with a written request with their full name, date of birth, out-of-state (or country) address, and telephone number along with their written signature to 410-787-2988. Proof of active-duty status may also be required.

Learn more

Veteran Designation on Maryland Driver's Licenses: Maryland residents can now have 'Veteran' designated on driver's licenses. The designation indicates that you are eligible for State or Federal Veteran benefits. A "W" code will be placed on the front of the license or ID, and the word "Veteran" on the back, indicating that you are a United States Veteran.

To have this designation placed on a license:

  • Request it the next time your license is up for renewal (no cost to you), or

  • Request it before your license is up for renewal date, applicable license renewal fees will apply.

Bring one of the following documents to your local Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) Branch Office:

  • DD214 showing discharge under other than dishonorable conditions

  • Honorable Discharge Certificate

  • Letter from the Military Records Personnel Center in St. Louis confirming Veteran status

  • Letter from the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs Service Program; or

  • Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

  • United States Uniformed Services Retiree Identification Card (DD Form 2)

Click here for more information about the MVA's Veteran Designation.

Learn more

Back to top

Health and Insurance Benefits:

Medical Benefits: Medical benefits are provided for State Active Duty members under Worker's compensation when the injury or illness occurs in the line of duty while on duty or in active service.
Eligibility: Maryland Air and Army National Guard members.

Learn more 

Group Insurance: All Guard members are eligible for the Service member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI) and are automatically covered for $400,000 at $26.00 per month. The rate does not go up with age eligibility is covered as long as the Soldier is a member of the National Guard. Family members are covered under the Family Group Life Insurance (FGLI). Soldier's Spouse is eligible for up to $100,000 at various rates depending on age and Children under 18 (up to 23 if student) are covered for $10,000 at no charge.
Eligibility: Maryland Air and Army National Guard members 

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more 

Group Insurance: Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection (TSGLI)

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI)

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

Learn more

Back to top

Parks and Recreation:

Complimentary POW-DAV Hunting Licenses: A complimentary lifetime hunting license is available to Maryland residents certified as a former Prisoner of War (POW) or a 100% service connected disabled American Veteran (Veterans Administration documentation required). The lifetime license is available only at DNR Licensing and Registration Service Centers and includes the bow stamp, muzzleloader stamp, and furbearer permit. The Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp is not part of the Complimentary License.

Learn more

Universal Disability Pass (formerly Hunt from a Vehicle Permit): Hunters with mobility impairments may obtain a free lifetime pass so they may hunt from a vehicle in designated areas. Applications are available from DNR Regional Wildlife & Heritage Service Offices. A physician must certify your permit application. Please see Public Hunting Lands for a list of public land that has provisions for the mobility impaired. Please contact each area for their specific conditions.

Learn More

Hunting Privileges: Maryland residents serving in the United States Armed Forces and stationed in Maryland must purchase a Resident Hunting License before hunting, unless they are on official leave and possess a copy of their official leave orders. Maryland residents serving in the United States Armed Forces, while hunting during official leave in Maryland, do not need to purchase a hunting license, deer stamps, or DNR Managed Hunt Permit; however, they must purchase a Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp, a federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, and a Furbearer Permit. You must possess a copy of your official leave orders while hunting and comply with the Hunter Education and Safety Requirement.

Any nonresident serving in the United States Armed Forces whose duty station is in Maryland must purchase a Resident Hunting License before hunting. Any nonresident serving in the United States Armed Forces who is on leave in Maryland, but not stationed in Maryland, must purchase a Nonresident Hunting License before hunting.

Learn more

Complimentary DAV/POW Fishing Licenses: A complimentary lifetime license is available to Maryland residents who are 100% service connected disabled American Veterans or former Prisoners of War (POW).The license incorporates both the non-tidal angler's license and the Chesapeake Bay sport fishing license. It does not, however, include the trout stamp. Applicant must furnish a letter of disability or a letter of certification from the Veterans Administration with their initial application.

Learn more

Complimentary Fishing License for the Blind: Complimentary annual tidal and non-tidal licenses are available to residents and nonresidents who are blind.

Fishing Licenses: A Service member who is a resident of MD, on active duty with the armed forces, and is on leave with official leave orders may fish without a license in the tidal waters of the State.

Learn more

Admission to State Parks: The Maryland Park Service offers a Universal Disability Pass which permits the holder and one other person free entrance to day-use facilities at Maryland State Parks and Forests, where there are service fees associated with entrance. This Pass does not cover automated gate entrance systems or service charges in the park such as camping, boat launch, rentals, bus parking, other concessions or special charges. Identification may be requested when the Pass is presented. Application

The Golden Age Pass entitles adults, ages 62 and older, free day use entry (cardholders only) to all State Parks that charge service fees. This pass is valid for half price camping Sunday through Thursday. The boat launch fee at Maryland State Parks is eliminated for seniors who possess a Golden Age Pass.. Application

Learn more

Back to top


Miscellaneous Benefits:

Veterans Trust Fund:  The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs offers grants and loans to Veterans and their Family members who are in dire financial situations, or to private organizations that help Veterans (homeless programs, substance abuse programs, etc.). This program is funded through contributions from generous supporters of Maryland's Veterans.

For more information and to request an application for the Veterans Trust Fund, contact the MDVA Grant Administrator, Mark Hendricks at 410-974-2399.  Please note, incomplete applications will not be accepted. Upon completion of the application, mail to:

Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs
Attn: Grant Administrator
16 Francis St, 4th Floor
Annapolis, MD 21401

Learn more

Death Benefit to Surviving Spouse or Estate of Maryland Resident Killed in Action: (MD Pub Safety Code § 1-202) The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services is awarding a death benefit of up to $125,000 to survivors of any Maryland Service member who is killed in action or as a direct result of a wound suffered in action in Iraq or Afghanistan
Eligibility: The surviving Spouse, Children, dependent parents or estate of resident Service member that is killed in action in in Afghanistan or its contiguous airspace, or Iraq or its contiguous waters or airspace are eligible.

Applications must be received within three years. The beneficiary, or an individual or agency applying on behalf of the beneficiary, must submit a letter of application to:

John Flynn, Executive Director, Human Resources
Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
Suite 309
6776 Reisterstown Rd
Baltimore, MD 21215-2341

The applicant must submit the following documents along with the letter of application for the Death Benefit:

  • Copy of marriage certificate (surviving Spouse) or birth certificate(s) (Surviving Child/ren)

  • Documentation verifying dependency (surviving Parent/s)

  • Proof of Maryland Residency (e.g., voter registration card, Maryland tax return)

  • A copy of the death certificate and report of casualty that provides evidence that the Service member was killed in action while serving in Iraq or its contiguous waters or air space, or Afghanistan or its contiguous air space. If the Service member was not killed in action but died from injuries, a statement is required from the Department of Defense that the Service member's death was a direct result of injuries sustained while in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Additional information may be required due to any unusual or exceptional circumstances or to establish a causal connection between the decedent's job functions and death.

To speak with someone regarding this benefit contact the Human Resources Services Division, Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, at 410-585-3408.

Learn more

Free Copy of Vital Records: For purposes of a claim before the Federal Government, one copy of marriage licenses, and birth or death certificates, may be acquired free of charge from the appropriate source. Call the local office of the clerk of the Circuit Court (marriage and divorce) or the Division of Vital Records, 800-832-3277 (toll-free) or 410-764-3038 (Baltimore local).

There is no fee for:

  • A copy of a certificate of a current or former Armed Forces member that is requested by the member

  • A copy of a certificate of a current or former Armed Forces member or of a surviving Spouse or Child of the member, if the copy will be used in connection with a claim for a dependent or beneficiary of the member.

Eligibility: Current or former Service member or of a surviving Spouse or Child must provide proof of service in the Armed Forces.

Learn more

Transportation Benefits: Free passage through toll gates on roads, bridges, and ferries while traveling to or returning from a parade, encampment, drill, or other duty that the member may be required by law to attend and presents an order for duty or identification card.
Maryland National Guard members.

Learn more

Jury Duty Exemption: An Active duty member of the United States Armed Forces or a member of the Maryland organized militia may be exempt from jury duty. The additional criteria for this exemption are annotated on the Certification of Military Exemption From Jury Duty Form. This form must be completed by your commanding officer or supervisor.
Eligibility: Active duty Service members and members of the Maryland National Guard.

Learn more

Veterans Home Program: The Charlotte Hall Veterans Home is a program within the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs and is the only Veterans home in the State of Maryland. The Home is a 454-bed facility providing a continuum of care from the 168-bed Assisted Living unit to a higher level of care in the 286-bed Skilled Nursing Home. Charlotte Hall Veterans Home also provides services for eligible Spouses who are unable to take care of themselves due to age or disability. The Home provides the support and services required for shelter, sustenance, medical care, and social services necessary to maintain the resident's medical condition and quality of life.

To offset the cost of care, the US Department of Veterans' Affairs provide three levels of per diem to Veterans who reside in a state Veterans' Home:

  • Assisted Living Care - The current per diem (effective 10/01/2015) is $44.72per day towards the cost of care.

  • Nursing Home Care - The current per diem (effective 10/01/2015) is $103.61per day towards the cost of care.

  • VP1 (70% or greater service connected Veteran) - The full cost of care is covered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs for nursing home care. This benefit does not apply to assisted living care.

Eligibility: The following are eligible to be admitted to Charlotte Hall:

  • Maryland Veterans who served on full-time active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (other than active duty for training), and were discharged or released under honorable conditions.

  • Certain members of reserve components of the U.S. Armed Forces who meet the legal residence requirements.

  • Certain Non-Veteran Spouses of eligible Veterans.

  • Maryland residents, at least 62 years of age or deemed disabled by either the Social Security Administration or the US Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Please click here for specific admission requirements for either the assisted living or nursing home care divisions of Charlotte Hall.

Learn more

Maryland's State Cemetery and Memorial Program: The State of Maryland and the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs are honored to offer Veterans and their eligible dependents a final resting place at one of five State Veterans' cemeteries throughout Maryland. The MDVA Cemetery Program is the largest of its kind in the nation. In addition the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs manages three Veteran Memorials. The Maryland World War II Memorial is in Annapolis, and the Vietnam War and Korean War Memorials are in Baltimore. Additionally, the Department shares joint responsibility with the City of Baltimore for the War Memorial Building in Baltimore.

Maryland's State Veterans Cemeteries:

  • Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery, Prince George's County, Maryland, Phone: 301-372-6398



  • Crownsville Veterans Cemetery, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, Phone: 410-987-6320




  • Eastern Shore Veterans Cemetery, Dorchester County, Maryland, Phone: 410-943-3420




  • Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery, Owings Mills, Baltimore County, Maryland, Phone: 410-363-6090



  • Rocky Gap Veterans Cemetery, Allegany County, Maryland, Phone: 301-777-2185

Eligibility: The MDVA follows criteria established by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration (NCA) to determine eligibility for burial at a Maryland Veterans Cemetery. Eligibility criteria for both Veterans and Dependents can be found by visiting the National Cemetery Administration. In addition to the NCA requirements for Veterans eligibility, the MDVA also requires the Veteran to have two years residency in Maryland.

Documentation needed to determine eligibility:

  • Military service: A copy of an official military discharge document is usually sufficient to determine eligibility for burial. Discharge documentation is usually not needed for scheduling when a Veteran or eligible Dependent is already interred in a Maryland Veterans Cemetery.

  • Residency requirement (for the Veteran): A discharge document indicating Maryland as the home of record, draft board records showing legal residence at time of entrance into military service, two years of tax assessments on property owned by Veteran, nursing home, hospital or institutional records showing that upon admission the Veteran's legal residence was in Maryland, two years of continuous Maryland tax records, Maryland school transcripts - 12 years or more continuous enrollment, up to date Maryland voting record, valid Maryland driver's license, Maryland utility bills, letter on an elected official's letter head verifying two years Maryland residency, recognized fraternal, civic or Veterans organization official letterhead providing a record of 2 years residency, any other substantial evidence that may establish the required residency.

Learn more

Reduced Fare Program for Veterans with Disabilities (Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip® Card): Metrobus and Metrorail customers with disabilities may be eligible to ride at a discounted rate. Those customers who qualify will be issued a Metro Disability ID card. Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip® cards can be used to:

  • Pay Fare when using Metrobus and Metrorail

  • Buy a 7-Day regional pass

  • Pay half the peak fare on Metrorail

  • Pay 85¢ with cash or if paying with the Metro Disability ID/SmarTrip® on regular Metrobus routes and other regional bus services

Eligibility: Disabled Veterans who have been granted a 60% or greater disability rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs do not need to complete Part B or C of the application. The applicant must appear in person at the Metro Transit Accessibility Center, 600 5th Street, NW, Washington, DC with a valid photo ID and an original letter of disability notification issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Disabled Veterans rated at 100% can show their valid DD Form 2465 Department of Defense Uniformed Serves ID card in lieu of an award letter. Metro Disability ID Card Application

Learn more

Back to top

Military Installations and Veterans Affairs Facilities in Maryland

Please see the Maryland Resource Locator for additional information

Active Duty:


Aberdeen Proving Ground, Aberdeen Proving Ground
Fort Detrick
, Frederick  
Fort Meade
, Anne Arundel County

Naval Air Station (NAS) Patuxent River, St Mary's County 
U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
, Bethesda

Air Force
Joint Base Andrews, Prince George County
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB),
Washington, DC

National Guard

Maryland Army National Guard

Maryland Air National Guard
113th Wing, Joint Base Andrews

175th Wing, Baltimore, Middle River

Back to top

Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Maryland

Veterans Health Administration
VA Health Care System

Baltimore: VA Maryland Health Care System, 10 North Greene St, 410-605-7000 / 800-463-6295

VA Medical Centers
Baltimore: Baltimore VA Medical Center, 10 North Greene St, 410-605-7000 / 800-463-6295 / Fax: 410-605-7901
Baltimore: Loch Raven VA Community Living & Rehabilitation Center,3900 Loch Raven Blvd, 410-605-7000 / 800-463-6295 / Fax: 410-605-7900
Perry Point: Perry Point VA Medical Center, VA Medical Center, Perry Point, MD, 410-642-2411 / 800-949-1003 / Fax: 410-642-1161

Community Based Outpatient Clinics
Baltimore: Baltimore VA Annex, 209 West Fayette St, 410-637-1256 / 800-463-6295 ext 1256
Baltimore: Loch Raven VA Outpatient Clinic, 3901 The Alameda, 410-605-7650 / Fax: 410-605-7685
Cambridge: Cambridge VA Outpatient Clinic, 830 Chesapeake Dr, 410-228-6243 / Fax: 410-901-4011
Camp Springs: Southern Prince George's County Outpatient Clinic, 5801 Allentown Rd, 301-423-3700 / Fax: 301-423-8388
Charlotte Hall: Southern Maryland VA Outpatient Clinic, 29431 Charlotte Hall Rd, 301-884-7102 / Fax: 301-884-7106
Cumberland: Cumberland Outpatient Clinic, 200 Glenn St, 301-724-0061 / Fax: 301-724-0069
Fort Meade: Fort Meade VA Outpatient Clinic, 2479 5th St, 410-305-5300 / Fax: 410-305-5345
Frederick: Fort Detrick VA Outpatient Clinic, 1433 Porter St, 304-263-0811 ext 5130 /  / Fax: 240-379-7013
Glen Burnie: Glen Burnie VA Outpatient Clinic, 808 Landmark Dr, Suite 128, 410-590-4140 / Fax: 410-590-4159
Hagerstown: Hagerstown Outpatient Clinic, Hub Plaza Bldg, 1101 Opal Ct, 304-263-0811 ext 5130  /  Fax: 301-665-1682
Pocomoke: Pocomoke City VA Outpatient Clinic, 1701 Market St, Unit 211, 410-957-6718 / 866-441-0287 / Fax: 410-957-6736

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Aberdeen: Aberdeen Vet Center Outstation, 223 W. Bel Air Ave, 410-272-6771 / Fax: 410-297-9041
Annapolis: Annapolis Vet Center, 100 Annapolis St, 410-605-7826 / Fax: 410-267-0129
Baltimore: Baltimore Vet Center, 1777 Reisterstown Rd, Suite 199, 410-764-9400 / Fax: 410-764-7780
Clinton: Prince George County Vet Center, 7905 Malcolm Rd, Suite 101, 301-856-7173
Dundalk: Baltimore County - Dundalk Vet Center, 1553 Merritt Blvd, 410-282-6144 / Fax: 410-282-6148
Elkton: Elkton Vet Center, 103 Chesapeake Blvd, Suite A, 410-392-4485 / Fax: 410-392-6381
Salisbury: Salisbury Outstation, 926 Snow Hill Rd, Bldg 3, 443-248-0362
Silver Spring: Silver Spring Vet Center, 2900 Linden Lane, Suite 100, 301-589-1073 / Fax: 301-588-4882
Towson: 1B RCS Mid-Atlantic Region, 305 W Chesapeake Ave, Suite 300, 410-828-6619 / Fax: 410-962-5151

Linthicum: VISN 5: VA Capitol Health Care Network, 849 International Dr, Ste 275, 410-691-1131

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Benefit Office
Baltimore: Baltimore Regional Office, 31 Hopkins Plaza, 800-827-1000

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Aberdeen Proving Ground: Aberdeen Proving Ground, APG Retirement Services Offices, Susquehanna Ave, Bldg 4305, Room 243A
Annapolis: Annapolis Naval Station/USNA, US Naval Academy Clinic, 250 Wood Rd, 410-293-1202 / Fax: 410-293-2615
Fort Detrick: Fort Detrick, Community Support Center, 1520 Freedman Dr, Rm 123
Fort Meade: Fort Meade, Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center, 3rd Fl, Rm 3A04
Indian Head: Indian Head Naval Ord, Fleet and Family Support Center, 12 Strauss Ave
NAS Patuxent River: Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Navy Family Service Center, Bldg 2090, 21993 Bundy Rd, NASFS
Andrews AFB: Andrews Air Force Base, Airman & Family Readiness Center, 316 MSS/DPF
Bethesda: Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Ave

National Cemetery Administration
Annapolis:  Annapolis National Cemetery, 800 West St, 410-644-9696 / Fax: 410-644-1563
Baltimore:  Baltimore National Cemetery, 5501 Frederick Ave, 410-644-9696 / 9697 / Fax: 410-644-1563
Baltimore:  Loudon Park National Cemetery, 3445 Frederick Ave, 410-644-9696 / Fax: 410-644-1563
Ridge: Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery, Point Lookout, 410-644-9696 / Fax: 410-644-1563


Learn more

Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs
The Wineland Building, 16 Francis Street, 4th Floor
Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone: 410-260-3838
Toll free: 866-793-1577

Learn more


Back to top


Learn more

Document Review Date: 30 August 2016