State / Territory Benefits - Connecticut

 State Taxes

Education Benefits
Employment Benefits
Unemployment Compensation
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Benefits
Health and Insurance Benefits
Parks and Recreation Benefits
Resource Locator
Miscellaneous Benefits 
Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities 


Summary: Connecticut offers special benefits for its military Service members and Veterans including a Soldiers, Sailors' and Marines' fund, state employment preferences, education and tuition assistance, vehicle tags, as well as hunting and fishing license privileges. Eligibility for some benefits may depend on residency, military component, and Veteran disability status.


State Benefit Highlights and Eligibility

State Taxes:

State Tax Advantage: Property tax advantage varies by town.

Retired Military Pay: Connecticut exempts 50% of federally taxable military retirement pay from the state income tax. The exemption applies to federal retirement pay to members of the U. S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Army and Air National Guard.

Learn More

Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before September 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.

Learn More 

VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.

Military SBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Connecticut exempts 50% of federally taxable military benefits received by a beneficiary under an option or election made by a retired member.

Learn more

Property Tax Exemption: A reduction of the assessed value of property for tax purposes is available - $1,500.00 deducted from the assessed value of either real estate or automobile before tax is assessed. Veterans below a certain income level and/or have service connected disabilities are eligible for additional property tax exemptions (up to $10,000 for paraplegics).
Veterans who have at least 90 days of active duty during wartime and are honorably discharged. Veterans below a certain income level and/or disabled Veterans are eligible for additional property tax exemptions. Surviving Spouses of Veterans may also be eligible for this benefit.

Learn more

Automobile Sales Tax for Non-Resident Military Personnel: Members of the U.S. Armed Forces who are stationed in Connecticut on full-time active duty and are residents of another state may purchase motor vehicles from a licensed Connecticut dealer at a reduced sales tax rate of 4.5%. Nonresident military personnel may also jointly purchase motor vehicles with their Spouses from a licensed Connecticut dealer at the 4.5% sales tax rate.
Members of the U.S. Armed Forces must provide proof to the motor vehicle dealer that they are not Connecticut residents and that they are on full-time active duty in Connecticut.

Learn more 

Back to top


Education Benefits:  

Veterans Tuition Waiver: Veterans, Connecticut National Guard Service Members and some dependents may attend Connecticut Public Colleges and Universities tuition free. Connecticut statutes provide that tuition may be waived for qualified Veterans attending the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State Universities and the 12 Community-Technical Colleges. Waivers cover only the cost of tuition for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking, and room and board, are not waived. To qualify for a waiver at the University of Connecticut and Connecticut State Universities, Veterans generally must be matriculated, that is, admitted to a degree program. The Community-Technical Colleges are more flexible. Remember to take a copy of your separation papers with you when applying for admission and registering for courses.

Tuition waivers for Veterans cover 100% of tuition for General Fund courses at all public colleges and universities and 50% for Extension Fund and summer courses at Connecticut State Universities. For more information it is highly recommended you contact the Veterans Services or Financial Aid/Bursar's Office of the school you are interested in attending.
Eligibility: To be eligible at a public college or university a Veteran must:

  • Be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, also are included.

  • Have served at least 90 or more cumulative days active duty in time of war (see Periods of Service below) except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rated service-connected disability; or the war, campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration.

  • Be accepted for admission at a Connecticut public college or university.

  • Be domiciled in Connecticut at the time of acceptance, which includes domicile for less than one year.

Those that also may be eligible are:

  • Active members of the Connecticut Army and Air National Guard;

  • Any Connecticut resident who is a dependent Child or a surviving Spouse of a member of the Armed Forces killed in action on or after September 11, 2001 who was a Connecticut resident; and

  • State residents who are dependent Children of a person whom the Armed Forces has declared to be either missing in action or a prisoner of war while serving in the Armed Forces after January 1, 1960.

  • Periods of Service to qualify for tuition waiver:

    • Active duty for at least (90) days in the following:

      • Korean Hostilities (June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1995 or active duty in the DMZ after Feb 1 1955)

      • Vietnam (February 28, 1961 to July 1, 1975)

      • Persian Gulf Era (August 2, 1990 - a date to be determined by Presidential proclamation or federal law - Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Iraqi Freedom are included in this category),

      • Active duty in Somalia after Dec 2, 1992

      • Active duty in Bosnia after December 20, 1995, OR:

    • Engaged in combat or in combat support role in the:

      • Lebanon Conflict (July 1, 1958 to November 1, 1958)

      • Peace Keeping Mission in Lebanon (September 29, 1982 to March 30, 1984)

      • Grenada Invasion (October 25, 1983 to December 15, 1983)

      • Operation Earnest Will (July 24, 1987 to August 1, 1990)

      • Panama Invasion (December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990)

Listing of approved Connecticut Facilities for Veterans to use GI Bill Benefits 

Learn more  

High School Diplomas and Veterans of WWII: Local Boards of Education may award diplomas to those WWII Veterans who did not receive them when they left high school before graduation for military service. Those interested should contact their local Board of education in their school district for more information. List of Connecticut school districts.

Learn more 

Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children: It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on Children of military Families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:

  • Facilitating the timely enrollment of Children of military Families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of educational records from the previous school district or variations in entrance or age requirements.

  • Facilitating the student placement process through which Children of military Families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment. Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic and social activities.

  • Facilitating the on-time graduation of Children of military Families.

  • Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.

  • Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military Families under this compact.

  • Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military Children.

  • Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.

Phone: 860-713-6512
Fax 860-713-7004

Primary Points of Contact:
Laura Anastasio, Staff Attorney,
Connecticut State Department of Education
Address: 165 Capitol Avenue, Room 310, Hartford, CT 06106

Louis Tallarita, Military Family Education Liaison
Connecticut Department of Education
Address: 25 Industrial Park Rd, Middletown, CT 06457-1520
Phone: 860-807-2058

  Learn more

Back to top 


Employment Benefits:

Connecticut Veterans' Employment Initiative: Connecticut has established the Local Veterans Employment Representative program (LVER), which assist Veterans with employment and training needs and is responsible for Veterans programs in the local Employment Offices. LVERs offer case management and counseling services to Veterans. They conduct workshops on resume and cover letter preparation, and job search in addition they offer internet access. They also have Disabled Veteran Outreach Specialist (DVOP) that provides case management, vocational guidance and counseling services to Veterans in the local employment office. They also perform outreach to Veterans in need of services. To request an appointment click here. LVER and DVOP locations and points of contact are here.
All Veterans discharged under other than dishonorable conditions and their Spouses are eligible for this program.

Learn more

Employment Reinstatement: An employee who leaves any public authority or public agency to enter the armed forces can be reinstated in their former position. Veterans must reapply within ninety (90) days following receipt of a certificate from the armed forces confirming satisfactory service.

Learn more 

Veteran's Hiring Preferences (Federal): By Federal law, Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces during certain specified time periods or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-Veterans both in hiring into the Federal civil service and in retention during reduction in force. Veterans may be entitled to 5 or 10 points included in any scoring process for examination or interviews.

5-point Hiring Preference: Five points are added to the examination score or rating of a Veteran who served:

  • During a war; or

  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or

  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on August 31, 2010, the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.

10-point Compensable Disability (CP) Preference: Ten points are added to the examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent.

10-Point 30 Percent Compensable Disability Preference (CPS): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a Veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.

10-Point Disability Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:

  • A Veteran who served at any time and has a present service-connected disability or is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs but does not qualify as a CP or CPS; or

  • A Veteran who received a Purple Heart.

10-Point Derived Preference (XP): Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of Spouses, Widows, Widowers, or Mothers of Veterans as described below. This type of preference is usually referred to as "derived preference" because it is based on service of a Veteran who is not able to use the preference. Both a Mother and a Spouse (including Widow or Widower) may be entitled to preference on the basis of the same Veteran's service if they both meet the requirements. However, neither may receive preference if the Veteran is living and is qualified for Federal employment.

Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of the Spouse of a disabled Veteran who is disqualified for a Federal position along the general lines of his or her usual occupation because of a service-connected disability. Such a disqualification may be presumed when the Veteran is unemployed and

  • Is rated by appropriate military or Department of Veterans Affairs authorities to be 100 percent disabled and/or unemployable; or 

  • Has retired, been separated, or resigned from a civil service position on the basis of a disability that is service-connected in origin; or 

  • Has attempted to obtain a civil service position or other position along the lines of his or her usual occupation and has failed to qualify because of a service-connected disability.

Preference may be allowed in other circumstances but anything less than the above warrants a more careful analysis.

A campaign medal holder or Gulf War Veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligible Veterans separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to Veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173.

  Learn More

Veterans Preference (State): The law gives bonus points to wartime Veterans who achieve a passing score on initial state and municipal civil service examinations. A wartime Veteran eligible for or receiving VA disability compensation or pension, and unable to pursue gainful employment because of the disability, receives 10 bonus points; a wartime Veteran ineligible for VA disability compensation or pension is eligible for five bonus points.

If an honorably discharged or released Veteran has served in a military action and received or is entitled to receive a campaign badge or expeditionary medal and is not otherwise eligible to receive bonus points, he or she qualifies for five bonus points if he or she receives the passing grade on the examination.

Application for preference points

Learn more 

Leave for State employees: If you are a member of the National Guard or a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces and a permanent employee, you are entitled to military leave to attend required training. You must submit a copy of your military orders to the Human Resources office to verify the leave. The state permits you as many as three weeks in a calendar year for field training. Paid leave for military call-ups other than annual training is limited to unscheduled emergencies, subject to the provisions of your union contract. You should notify your supervisor as soon as you become aware of your military leave schedule.
Eligibility: Members of the National Guard or Army Reserve

 Learn more 

No loss of benefits for Military Duty: The employer of any employee who is a member of the Army Reserve or National Guard who is ordered to perform military duty, including meetings or drills, during regular working hours shall allow such employee leave of absence for such purpose. The employee shall not be subjected to any loss or reduction of vacation or holiday privileges by reason of such absence, or is prejudiced by reason of such absence with reference to promotion or continuance in office or employment, or to reappointment to office or reemployment. (Sec.27-33a)

Learn more 

Back to top 

Unemployment Compensation:  

Unemployment Insurance (UI) is temporary income for workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own and who are either looking for new jobs, in approved training, or awaiting recall to employment. The funding for UI benefits comes from taxes paid by employers. Workers do not pay any of the costs. To qualify for unemployment benefits, you must have earned sufficient wages during a specified time (monetary eligibility). To collect those benefits, you must meet certain legal eligibility requirements.

To apply for Unemployment Insurance, you must complete an initial (or new) claim by telephone. A claim should be filed with the Connecticut Department of Labor (CTDOL) TeleBenefits Line as soon as you are separated from employment.

Learn more

Back to top 

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Benefits:  

Veteran's Flag Identifier for Driver License or Identity Card: All Connecticut Veterans with qualifying service (serving in the Armed Forces for more than 90 days, not including initial entry training) are eligible to receive the Veterans' identifier on their driver license or identity card.
In order to receive Veterans' flag on an existing CT license or identity card, the Veteran must submit the following to CDVA:

  • Documentary proof of qualifying military service (90 or more days of active federal service, not including initial entry training) DD-214 or pre 1950 WG AGO Discharge certificate.

  • Proof of an honorable discharge, or a discharge under honorable conditions, from military service (or discharge due to injuries received in the line of duty) for the qualifying service. All other discharges will be considered ineligible.

  • Proof of service: DD-214 or other documentation if DD-214 is unavailable, i.e.: VA Certificate of service. *

*Note: If the name on the DD-214 is different from the Veterans' legal name, proof of name change is required; i.e. court decree, marriage certificate etc.

 Learn more 

Special Vehicle License, Registration and License Plates: The State of Connecticut offers a number of special military license plates including:

Learn more

Motor Vehicle Licensing Benefits: Former POWs and recipients of the Medal of Honor are entitled to free motor vehicle registration and special plates. Veterans who were state residents at the time of induction and who apply within two years of receiving an honorable discharge are exempt from paying for an operator's license and examination fees for one licensing period.

State law also provides that fees may be waived for the following registration items, subject to a formal determination by the Department of Motor Vehicles:

  • Special license plates for disabled Veterans.

  • Special fee license plates for certain disabilities (loss of use or loss of limb, or blind) handicapped and overtime parking.

  • If receiving auto grant from the VA or Medal of Honor recipient, exemption from registration fees.

Learn more

Waiver of License and Vehicle Registration Fees: Connecticut general statues allow for the waiver of license and registration fees for any resident of Connecticut who is on active duty with the armed forces of the US and for two years following the date of their honorable discharge. National Guard members and Reservists are eligible if they have been called to active duty for any length of time and show their active duty orders.
Eligibility: In order to qualify, you must have been a Connecticut resident at time of induction into the Army or attendance to the United Sates Military Academy. National Guard members and Reservists are eligible if they have been called to active duty for any length of time and show their active duty orders. Active Duty military members must show their current military id cards, or if discharged you must show DD214 form showing honorable discharge. National Guard and Reservists must show their active duty orders to qualify for the fee waiver.  Application 

Learn more

Prisoner of War (POW) Registrations Plate Tag: A POW registration can be issued to any member or former member of the armed forces who is a former Prisoner of War. There is no fee for a new POW registration, transfer, or renewal. However, all other fees apply (i.e. title fee, lien, clean air act fee, etc.).
Eligibility: The vehicle to be registered must be owned or leased by the former POW. A letter of approval from the Veteran's Administration is needed to verify the prisoner of war status and must be submitted on VA letterhead. A registrant is limited to only two (2) POW plates. Vehicles can be registered in the following classes only: passenger, camper, and combination. Upon the death of the POW, the surviving Spouse may retain the plate for their lifetime or until they remarry.

Learn more  

Disabled American Veterans Organization Plate: In order to purchase these plates, you must:

  • Be a member of the Disabled American Veterans Organization. 

  • Contact the liaison listed below to obtain an application. 

  • Be sure that the vehicle is currently registered in Connecticut.

Learn more 

Gold Star Family Plate: This plate serves as a memorial for Connecticut Service members who were killed in the line of duty. There is no fee for off-the-shelf license plates and the remake of a current marker plate. There is a fee of $69.00 for new vanity plates.
Eligibility: To order these plates, the vehicle must be currently registered in Connecticut. This plate is available to their immediate Family members. Immediate Family consists of Spouse, Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Child, Grandmother or Grandfather.

Learn more 

Back to top  

Health and Insurance Benefits:  

Medical Benefits: Full coverage for injuries incurred in Line of Duty (LOD).
Eligibility: National Guard Service member on State active duty.

Health Insurance: TRICARE Reserve Select is a premium-based plan, available worldwide for Selected Reserve, (Reserve and National Guard) and their Families who meet the following qualifications:

  • Not on active duty orders 

  • Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program 

  • Not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a Family member.

The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits.

Learn more

Veterans Affairs Life Insurance: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides valuable life insurance benefits to Veterans, Active and Reserve Component Service members and their Families to provide financial security given the extraordinary risks involved in military Service. The VA provides the following life insurance benefit programs:

  • Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI

  • Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)

  • Family Members Group Life Insurance (FSGLI

  • Service Members Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Projection (TSGLI

  • Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance (S-DVI

  • Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

  Learn more

Group Insurance: The State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 1974, Title 37, and is offered through the National Guard Association of Connecticut (NGACT). This program is comprised of a combination of six voluntary group life policies available to the military members of the Minnesota National Guard and are designed to help meet the needs of our membership. Key Benefits of the SSLI:

  • Over $1,000,000 in coverage available for Connecticut National Guardsman through a combination of the SSLI plans 

  • Coverage available for the Spouse and Children 

  • Rates do not go up just because you separate from the National Guard -you can keep the coverage when you separate

  • Coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

  • No War Exclusion - you are covered in combat

  • No Aviation Exclusion - aviators are covered

Eligibility: National Guard Service member and their eligible dependents

Learn more

Back to top

Parks and Recreation Benefits:

Hunting and Fishing Privileges: Any active, full time member of the Armed Forces can purchase hunting, trapping and fishing Licenses for the same fee as a Connecticut residence. Proof of full-time membership during the calendar year must be carried while using the license.
Active Duty Service member

Armed Forces Members Marine Waters Fishing License: Any active, full-time member of the armed forces may be issued a fishing license for the resident fee of $10.00. Credentials indicating active full-time membership or separation subsequent to the issuance of the license and prior to its expiration date must be carried while fishing or hunting.

Free Marine Waters Fishing License for Disabled Persons: Any resident with the loss of a limb or the loss of the use of a limb and a doctor's certificate may be issued a free fishing and/or hunting license. Qualified nonresidents who are residents of states which allow CT residents the same privileges are also eligible.

Learn more

Disabled Veteran Pass (Life Use): The Disabled Veteran Pass provides access to the State Parks and Forests and is available free to Connecticut residents who have a service connected disability.

The pass is accepted at all day use areas where a parking fee applies. Presenting it allows free access for the entering vehicle and passengers. The pass holder does not have to be the vehicle driver.

Free admittance is also provided for the Disabled Veteran Pass holder when visiting Gillette Castle, Dinosaur or Fort Trumbull State Parks. All other visitors, however, will be required to pay the appropriate fee.

Please note that each pass is issued to a specific person and can only be used when presented by that individual. The passes are non-transferable. They are not valid for camping or special events having separate admission charges and may not be used for commercial purposes. (Proof of residency and service connected disability status required)

Send a LEGIBLE photocopy of your current CT drivers license or other legal proof of residency AND your VA card or VA Benefits Letter indicating a service connected disability to: DEEP Disabled Veteran Pass, State Parks Division, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127, for more information please call (860) 424-3200.

Learn more

Back to top

Miscellaneous Benefits:

Soldiers, Sailors' and Marines' Fund: A state fund administered by the American Legion for the purpose of providing temporary financial assistance. This benefit is for those who are disabled, unemployed, or sick. This fund provides for emergency needs such a clothing, food, medical and surgical aid, and general care and relief. To be eligible for assistance you must demonstrate "need".
A Veteran who is a Connecticut resident with 90 days of active duty service during a statutory wartime period with honorable discharge.

Learn more

Veterans' Home at Rocky Hill, CT: The Healthcare Center at the CT Veterans' Home provides long term care to Veterans with chronic and disabling medical conditions. These conditions include but are not limited to heart and lung disease, stroke, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other dementias. The program also provides End-of-Life care, Palliative care and Respite care. The Healthcare Center is licensed by the CT Department of Public Health as a Chronic Disease Hospital.
Eligibility: Eligibility to enter the facility is restricted to those with an Honorable Discharge or General under Honorable Conditions. The Veteran must also be a current resident of the State of Connecticut. To qualify for admission to the Healthcare Center a Veteran must:

  • Submit an application in advance 

  • Submit a report of medical history and physical examination 

  • Pass an eligibility check 

  • Have a chronic medical condition or need which requires skilled nursing care or requires 24 hour assistance or supervision with activities of daily living

Learn more

Fellowship House: The Fellowship House is a residential substance abuse recovery support program, is located on the grounds of the State of Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA), providing a variety of substance abuse services to eligible Veterans who have chosen to be clean and sober and whose long term desire is to reintegrate back into the community. It is designed to assist and support eligible Veterans after successful completion of either day or inpatient rehabilitation programs.

 The services provided are matched to a client's level of medical care, including full medical, psychosocial, psychological, and tertiary psychiatric follow-up. These levels of care are provided while a patient resides in our treatment facility, which is physically separate from the Domicile on grounds.

The Fellowship House program is closely interfaced with other service programs at the State Veterans Home of the Department of Veterans Affairs, whose programs primarily focus is on educational and vocational programs, employment counseling, and job placement assistance.
All residents at the Veterans' Home and Hospital are eligible for treatment/supportive rehabilitation services. Admission to the Veterans' Recovery Center Program is coordinated through the regular Rocky Hill admission office procedures AND the admission coordinator for the program. Veterans are eligible for services through the Department of Veterans' Affairs after completing an application for admission AND a successful review by the admissions committee.

Learn more

State of Connecticut Veterans' Cemetery: The State Veteran's Cemetery is located in Middletown, Ct. There are no charges for the plot (cremains, single or double-depth) for the opening/closing of the grave, or for the perpetual care of the grave. Also, the required headstone (white, upright marble marker) will be provided by the Federal Government free of charge and will be installed at no cost by cemetery personnel.
All Veterans who served at least 90 days of active duty and were released from the Armed Forces under honorable conditions and who either entered the service as a resident of the state of Connecticut or died as a resident of the state of Connecticut and their Spouses are eligible for burial. Honorable service in the Armed Forces of any country allied with the United States is also acceptable.

Learn more

Veterans Wartime Service Ribbon: Veterans' Service Ribbons. The Veterans' affairs commissioner, in conjunction with the adjutant general, must award a ribbon and medal to any wartime Veteran who lived in Connecticut when called to active duty service or is living in Connecticut when the award is made. The award is called the Connecticut Veterans Wartime Service Medal. The law allows posthumous awards to Veterans who died on or after January 1, 2000 and requires such posthumous awards to be made within existing budgetary resources (CGS § 27-73e). Application for Connecticut Veterans Wartime Service Medal. Application for Posthumous Wartime Application for Connecticut Veterans Wartime Service Medal.
In order to receive the Connecticut Veterans Medal, the Veteran must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Submit documentary proof of qualifying military wartime service (90 days wartime service, unless the war or operation lasted less than 90 days);

  • Submit proof of an honorable discharge from military service (or discharge due to injuries received in the line of duty) for the qualifying wartime service.

  • Submit proof that you currently are a resident of the State of Connecticut or that you were a resident at the time of your qualifying wartime service.

Learn more 

OFFICE OF ADVOCACY AND ASSISTANCE: The CT Department of Veterans' Affairs Office of Advocacy and Assistance is responsible for providing assistance to any Veteran who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, as well as their eligible dependents. Assistance will be provided in obtaining Veterans' benefits available under federal, state and local laws. The state has accredited benefits counselors known as Veterans' Service Officers (VSO's) to aid in the process.

Learn more 

Back to top


Veterans Administration (VA) Medical Facilities in Connecticut

Veterans Health Administration
VA Health Care System
West Haven: VA Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell Ave, 203-932-5711

VA Medical Centers
Newington: VA Connecticut Healthcare System Newington Campus, 555 Willard Ave, 860-666-6951
West Haven: VA Connecticut Healthcare System West Haven Campus, 950 Campbell Ave, 203-932-5711

Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Danbury: Danbury Outpatient Clinic, 7 Germantown Rd, Suite 2B, 203-798-8422
New London: John J. McGuirk (New London) VA Outpatient Clinic, Shaw's Cove Four, 860-437-3611
Stamford: Stamford Outpatient Clinic, 1275 Summer St, Suite 102, 203-325-0649
Waterbury: Waterbury Outpatient Clinic, 95 Scovill St, 203-465-5292
Willimantic: Willimantic Outpatient Clinic, 1320 Main St, 860-450-7583
Winsted: Winsted Outpatient Clinic, 115 Spencer St, 860-738-6985

Vet Center - 877-927-8387
Danbury: Danbury Vet Center, 457 North Main St, 1st Floor, 203-790-4000
Norwich: Norwich Vet Center, 2 Cliff St, 860-887-1755 / Fax: 860-887-2444
Rocky Hill: Hartford Vet Center, 25 Elm St, Suite A, 860-563-8800 / Fax: 860-563-8805
Orange: New Haven Vet Center, 291South Lambert Rd, 203-795-0148 / Fax: 203-795-0163

Veterans Benefits Administration
Regional Office
Newington: Hartford Regional Office, 555 Willard Ave, 1-800-827-1000

Intake Site (Pre-Discharge Claims Assistance)
Groton: US Naval Submarine Base New London at Groton, Fleet & Family Support Center Bldg 83

Learn more

Back to top


Military Installations in Connecticut

Please see the Connecticut Resource Locator for additional information.

Active Duty


Naval Submarine Base New London

National Guard

Connecticut Army National Guard

Connecticut Air National Guard

United States Army Reserve (USAR)

99th Regional Support Command


State of Connecticut Veterans Benefit information Handbook:

Back to top


Document Review Date: 29 February 2016