Spouses to Teachers (STT)
Army Reserve: Active Duty
Benefit Fact Sheet
Due to the success of the Spouses to Teachers pilot program, Spouses to Teachers (STT) has now been incorporated into the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MSCAA).
Spouses to Teachers is a Department of Defense pilot project designed to assist spouses of active duty and reserve military members to become public school teachers.
Spouses of Army Reserve Soldiers on active duty are eligible to participate in the Spouses to Teachers Program.
Spouses of members of Individual Ready Reserve Soldiers on active duty are eligible to participate in the STT Program.
The Spouses to Teachers program is currently represented in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Utah.
Spouses to Teachers Program:
Spouses to Teachers is designed to assess and support the needs of spouses becoming public school teachers. The STT program provides support to eligible spouses pursuing K-12 teaching positions. Limited funding is provided to eligible spouses to reimburse the cost of tests required for state teacher licensing and certification. Maximum available financial assistance is $600.00 per person.
- Spouses with a baccalaureate degree or higher to achieve certification,
- Spouses with a teacher certification in one state to achieve certification in another, and
- Spouses with less than a baccalaureate degree for guidance on state employment and certification options
Spouses to Teachers Services:
The STT program provides information on state certification requirements, counseling on certification options, assistance in transferring certification from one state to another, financial help to ease teacher certification examination expenses, financial aid resource help, and state employment guidance.
Spouses to Teachers Procedures for Reimbursement:
- State registration required to apply for stipend up to $600.00 for state teacher certification exams
- State Spouses to Teachers Office prepares vouchers approving the test(s) and amount authorized to be reimbursed
- Completed vouchers are mailed to Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)/Spouses to Teachers with proof of payment and voided personal check
- DANTES/STT processes approved vouchers for payment within 30-45 days of receipt.
For more information, please visit the Spouses to Teachers website maintained by the Department of Defense:
For more information about spouse employment assistance, please see the fact sheets:
Document Review Date: 1 April 2009