Pay Allowance Continuation
Regular Army: Active Duty
Benefit Fact Sheet
Pay Allowances Continuation (PAC) is for Soldiers during their hospitalization and rehabilitation resulting from wounds, injury, or illness incurred while on duty in a hostile fire area or exposed to an event of hostile fire or other hostile action anywhere in the world.
If a Regular Army Active duty Soldier incurs a wound, injury, or illness in the line of duty while serving in a combat operation or a combat zone, while serving in a hostile fire area, or while exposed to a hostile fire event, (regardless of location), and is hospitalized for treatment of the wound, injury, or illness, the Secretary concerned may continue to pay to the member, notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, all pay and allowances (including any bonus, special and incentive pay, or similar benefit) that were being paid to the member at the time the member incurred the wound, injury, or illness.
PAC is intended to allow Soldiers to continue to receive all pay and allowances (including any bonus, special and incentive pay, or similar benefit) that were being paid to the member at the time the member incurred the wound, injury, or illness.
PAC terminates at the end of the first month during which the Soldier:
- Is returned for assignment to other than a medical or patient unit for duty.
- Has one year after the date on which the Service member is first hospitalized for the treatment of the wound, injury, or illness, except that the Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (PDUSD) for Personnel and Readiness (P&R) may extend the termination date in six-month increments, under extraordinary circumstances.
- Is discharged, separated, or retired (including temporary disability retirement) from the uniformed services.
Note: The Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness can extend PAC beyond the one-year limit for six-month periods under "extraordinary circumstances" under the authority of USC, title 37, Section 372.
For more information on PAC, contact your Chain of Command, Warrior Transition Unit Soldier and Family Support Specialist located in the SFAC. Or contact your Warrior Transition Unit Finance Specialist. You may also contact Army HRC at the locations listed below:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone Number: 1-888-276-9472
- DSN Phone Number: 943-9500
- Address: HRC ATTN:PDR-C, Dept 420 1600 Spearhead Division Ave
Ft Knox, Kentucky 40122-5402 USA
Document Review Date: 13 December 2016