Army & Air Force Exchange Service (The Exchange)
Army Reserve: Drilling
Benefit Fact Sheet
The Army & Air Force Exchange Service (the Exchange) has an enduring mission to provide quality merchandise and services to its customers at competitively low prices and to generate earnings that provide a dividend to support Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Command (FMWRC) programs.
Army Reserve Soldiers on drill status and their ID card-holding Family members are eligible to purchase merchandise and services from the Exchange.
MISSION & STRUCTURE
The Army & Air Force Exchange Service's enduring mission is to make the lives of Soldiers and Airmen better through the goods and services it offers. The Exchange goes where Soldiers, Airmen and their Families go to improve their quality of life through retail goods and services. Exchange earnings provide dividends to support morale, welfare and recreation programs. The Exchange is part of the Department of Defense and is directed by a Board of Directors, responsible to the Secretaries of the Army and Air Force through the Chiefs of Staff. This year, the Exchange celebrates 121 years of service.
Be the preferred retail and services provider for the military Family through extraordinary customer experience and value pricing.
MILITARY & FAMILY SUPPORT
When military members deploy to remote locations around the world, the Exchange is with them, offering products and services to bring troops a taste of home. Since 9/11, the Exchange has deployed more than 4,500 associates. Other Exchange support last year included outfitting 1.3 million troops with combat uniforms and serving 3 million school lunches to their Children and operating seven plants providing baked goods, bottled water and ice to overseas bases. Any American can support military members worldwide by sending gift cards through the Exchange by logging on to shopmyexchange.com or calling 800-527-2345.
Online at shopmyexchange.com, the Exchange offers products in every category and the same national brand merchandise found in brick-and-mortar stores. The Exchange's online assortment is updated continually, offering convenience for those who don't live near a military installation. Online shoppers pay no sales tax and enjoy free delivery when using a Military Star Card or when their online purchases total $49 or more.
FAMILY SERVING FAMILY
The Exchange is a major source of employment for military Families. Approximately 27 percent of Exchange's 35,000 associates are military Family members; 10 percent are Veterans; 2 percent are active duty, Guard or Reserve personnel working part-time in Exchanges during their off-duty hours. In 2016, the Exchange was named a top Military Friendly Employer and a top Military Spouse Friendly Employer by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse magazine. The Exchange was also named a Best for Vets employer in 2016 by Military Times.
SALES AND DIVIDENDS
Roughly two-thirds of Exchange's earnings are paid to Army MWR and Air Force Services programs. In the past 10 years (2005-2015), the Exchange has contributed more than $2.4 billion to quality-of-life improvements.
The Exchange funds 97 percent of its operating budget from the sale of goods and services. The remaining 3 percent of Exchange funding comes from Appropriated Funds; the vast majority of this support is devoted to overseas operations.
The Exchange is responsible for more than 2,500 facilities worldwide in more than 30 countries, 50 states and five U.S. territories. The Exchange operates 123 main stores, 168 Military Clothing facilities, nearly 500 convenience stores (troop stores, Express locations, Class Six outlets) 164 specialty stores and 67 theaters. In addition, the Exchange has nearly 1,500 quick-serve restaurants, such as Taco Bell, Burger King and Starbucks. Concession operations overseen by the Exchange add more than 3,330 more activities. The Exchange also operates 49 contingency locations in Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Romania, Cyprus, Bosnia and Kosovo.
For more information, please visit the Army & Air Force Exchange Service's Exchange Online Store at:
Document Review Date: 30 May 2016